wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Small(-ish) communithy: cause »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 2:06am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   general
   guestbook
(Moderators: Grimbal, SMQ, william wu, Eigenray, Icarus, ThudnBlunder, towr)
   Small(-ish) communithy: cause
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Small(-ish) communithy: cause  (Read 5992 times)
Ben Kooijman

Email

Small(-ish) communithy: cause  
« on: Jan 11th, 2005, 5:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Wu,

I noticed a post from you in the Easy forum in which you wondered why the forum community is so small.

If I may suggest an answer: the forum pages simply take too long to load (if your webstats show response times you should check them). FYI: I'm connecting from Belgium, Europe (4 Mb/s connection).

Pages on your main site load in one or two seconds which is fine. Pages on the forum take up to 10 seconds to load. That's simply too much: I looked up one answer and ran out of patience just doing that.

Leaving now. Will check back later.

Regards,

Ben.
P.S. New riddle: why do forum pages take so long to load?
IP Logged
william wu
wu::riddles Administrator

Re: Small(-ish) communithy: cause  
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11th, 2005, 7:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Yes, this is true. I also find it unacceptable. The YaBB forum software remains slow, despite all the tweaks I found on how to make it run faster. Ideally the forum should be completely replaced with a newer software like YaBBSE. I don't have a problem with using different software, except that the conversion of threads from the current format to the new one will be a giant pain that I haven't the time for now.

As an aside, if lurkers count as "community" members, then the community is significantly larger than the registered member count, as I know from logfiles and e-mail.
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2005, 7:45pm by william wu » IP Logged

[ wu ] : http://wuriddles.com / http://forums.wuriddles.com
Ben Kooijman

Email

Re: Small(-ish) communithy: cause  
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13th, 2005, 3:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I's a shame though: I really enjoy browsing your website and figuring out the riddles (or trying to at least Wink), and I'm sure I would enjoy participating on the forums.

The reality is that my time for leisurely pursuits like this is severely limited and I just can't wait around for pages to load.

Anyway, I hope you will someday have the chance to speed things up.

Good luck,

Ben.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »