wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Multiple Quotes In A Single Post »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 8:30pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   general
   guestbook
(Moderators: towr, ThudnBlunder, SMQ, william wu, Icarus, Grimbal, Eigenray)
   Multiple Quotes In A Single Post
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Multiple Quotes In A Single Post  (Read 18526 times)
K Sengupta
Senior Riddler

Multiple Quotes In A Single Post  
« on: Jun 26th, 2007, 1:26am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have been a member of this website for a little over  19 months to this day.  

I require some assistance in the following matter:

In the process of replying to comment(s) made by member(s) of  the website, I am unable to quote  more than one comment (or any of its portion thereof).

However, I have observed some of  the other replies where the said responses were inclusive of multiple quotes, that is, more than one comment  or a portion threreof were successfully quoted in a successful manner.

I may add that I do not experience any such difficulty while quoting a single response.

Consequently, I am looking for a way to be able to incorporate multiple quotes in my own response.

Any assistance from  the members on the foregoing will be greatly appreciated.
IP Logged
JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

Re: Multiple Quotes In A Single Post  
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26th, 2007, 2:08am »

I'm not sure how the other members do it, but what I do is I opened up the link for the other quote in another tab, then I copy and paste the link in the text box. For example, a quote from the 19th Century riddle in the What Happened section :  

on Jun 25th, 2007, 10:34am, ima1trkpny wrote:
Ahhh... come on Iceman...  Wink don't get your panties in a wad.

And another from the What Am I section :

on Jun 25th, 2007, 9:08am, FiBsTeR wrote:
We should pull Iceman away from Shakespeare and Disney so he can make more quizzes.

If anyone have a shortcut, do share it !!
IP Logged

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #2 on: Jun 26th, 2007, 2:39am »

on Jun 26th, 2007, 2:08am, JiNbOtAk wrote:
I'm not sure how the other members do it, but what I do is I opened up the link for the other quote in another tab, then I copy and paste the link in the text box.
That's what I do too.
Occasionally I also first copy everything I want to respond to to an editor, so I have a better overview when making a post. The reply-area in the browser is sometimes uncomfortably small.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
TenaliRaman
Uberpuzzler

I am no special. I am only passionately curious.

« Reply #3 on: Aug 18th, 2007, 11:05pm »

Is it possible to add checkboxes to each post and simply put a multiple quote button at the end of the page, which will run through all the checkboxes and call quotes on each of them?? Does yabb allow for this? One can do this on the clientside instead of the serverside if its a possibility??

-- AI
IP Logged

Self discovery comes when a man measures himself against an obstacle - Antoine de Saint Exupery
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #4 on: Aug 19th, 2007, 7:04am »

on Aug 18th, 2007, 11:05pm, TenaliRaman wrote:
Is it possible to add checkboxes to each post and simply put a multiple quote button at the end of the page, which will run through all the checkboxes and call quotes on each of them?? Does yabb allow for this?
I don't know whether YaBB has that option; it has a lot of options that aren't used on this board, though (a number of which were turned off in the last update, way back, to cut down the strain on the server).

Quote:
One can do this on the clientside instead of the serverside if its a possibility??
It should be possible to do it clientside, by making an appropriate greasemonkey-userscript.  
So if anyone wants to volunteer making one... Wink
IP Logged

TenaliRaman
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #5 on: Aug 19th, 2007, 8:38am »

on Aug 19th, 2007, 7:04am, towr wrote:

It should be possible to do it clientside, by making an appropriate greasemonkey-userscript.  
So if anyone wants to volunteer making one... Wink

I wonder if our local greasemonkey guru will volunteer  Grin. Otherwise, i am there to help maybe in a few months/years, just got myself a copy of diveintogreasemonkey (http://diveintogreasemonkey.org/) Cheesy.  

-- AI
IP Logged

Self discovery comes when a man measures himself against an obstacle - Antoine de Saint Exupery
SMQ
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #6 on: Aug 19th, 2007, 8:55am »

on Aug 19th, 2007, 8:38am, TenaliRaman wrote:
I wonder if our local greasemonkey guru will volunteer  Grin

There would be two tricky things about such a script.  First would be that a proper qoute needs the UBB tags, not just the displayed text, so the script would have to actually load the Quote pages for each of the selected posts in the background (probably via XMLHTTPRequest). Second would be that the quotes need to be assembled into the text box of a new post, which is a separate HTML page, and means the script needs to communicate with itself across a page load.  Neither is inmpossible, but both are tricky. Wink

--SMQ
IP Logged

--SMQ

TenaliRaman
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #7 on: Aug 19th, 2007, 9:48am »

on Aug 19th, 2007, 8:55am, SMQ wrote:
Neither is inmpossible, but both are tricky. Wink

--SMQ

Ah, a challenge!! Just what you were looking for!!  Grin

Seriously, how does one start with it? I might also like to help out in any way i can Smiley or with some guidance i can carve the perfect script that answers the question of life, universe and everything Cheesy

-- AI
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2007, 9:48am by TenaliRaman » IP Logged

towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #8 on: Aug 19th, 2007, 11:17am »

on Aug 19th, 2007, 8:55am, SMQ wrote:

There would be two tricky things about such a script.  First would be that a proper qoute needs the UBB tags, not just the displayed text, so the script would have to actually load the Quote pages for each of the selected posts in the background (probably via XMLHTTPRequest).
You could open them in hidden iframes, and copy the information.
You could build the quote tags with all appropriate information from the page itself (date and name etc is obvious, post number can be obtained from the quote link) But it would take some effort to work out.

Quote:
Second would be that the quotes need to be assembled into the text box of a new post, which is a separate HTML page, and means the script needs to communicate with itself across a page load.  Neither is inmpossible, but both are tricky. Wink
Easy solution would be to put a window sized iframe on top of the current page, and load the reply page in that (and submit to _top).  
Or load the reply page in a hidden iframe, then switch the contents (which is neater, but trickier).
A third option could be to use cookies. Just put all the quotes in a cookie, and when the reply page is called, it takes the quotes from the cookie. Which is probably the cleanest solution. (Obvious problem: when you selected quotes on multiple pages for different replies. You could tie the thread number to the cookie to distinguish them though)

Something else that might be convenient, is to just have a reply-field below the last post of the thread. Some forums have a "quick-reply" option like that.
IP Logged

SMQ
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #9 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 1:17pm »

on Aug 18th, 2007, 11:05pm, TenaliRaman wrote:
Is it possible to add checkboxes to each post and simply put a multiple quote button at the end of the page

on Aug 19th, 2007, 7:04am, towr wrote:
It should be possible to do it clientside,

on Aug 19th, 2007, 8:38am, TenaliRaman wrote:
I wonder if our local greasemonkey guru will volunteer  Grin

Since I've been in a Greasemonkey mood lately, here ya' go.Smiley

The linked script replaces all the quote icons with checkboxes and adds a Multiquote link next to Reply at the bottom.

Under the hood, checking or unchecking the checkboxes modifies the URL of the Multiqoute link with a comma-separated list of the posts to quote.  When the link is clicked, YaBB ignores any numbers after the first comma, but the script recognizes that a multiquote was requested, uses XMLHttpRequests to fetch all quotes beyond the first (scatter-gather), and compiles them into the text box.  By passing the post numbers in the URL and retrieving the quote text from the reply page instead of the forum page it avoids the need for cookies to buffer the text.

Tested under Firefox 2, IE 7, and Opera 9, and should work under Safari and Netscape 9 (as usual).

--SMQ
IP Logged

--SMQ

FiBsTeR
Senior Riddler

« Reply #10 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 2:49pm »

on Aug 19th, 2007, 11:17am, towr wrote:
Test

on Oct 3rd, 2007, 1:17pm, SMQ wrote:
Test
--SMQ

Shocked Shocked Shocked Excellent work, this will increase puzzle-solving productivity tenfold! (Well, maybe not so much, but it definitely beats copy/paste.)
IP Logged
ima1trkpny
Senior Riddler

"Double click on 'Yes'... Hey!"

« Reply #11 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 3:59pm »

SMQ, you are such a useful fellow!  Shocked
Good job!
IP Logged

"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." -Churchill
TenaliRaman
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #12 on: Oct 4th, 2007, 11:44am »

on Oct 3rd, 2007, 1:17pm, SMQ wrote:
Since I've been in a Greasemonkey mood lately, here ya' go.Smiley

The linked script replaces all the quote icons with checkboxes and adds a Multiquote link next to Reply at the bottom.

Under the hood, checking or unchecking the checkboxes modifies the URL of the Multiqoute link with a comma-separated list of the posts to quote.  When the link is clicked, YaBB ignores any numbers after the first comma, but the script recognizes that a multiquote was requested, uses XMLHttpRequests to fetch all quotes beyond the first (scatter-gather), and compiles them into the text box.  By passing the post numbers in the URL and retrieving the quote text from the reply page instead of the forum page it avoids the need for cookies to buffer the text.

Tested under Firefox 2, IE 7, and Opera 9, and should work under Safari and Netscape 9 (as usual).

--SMQ

Greasemonkey guru does it again

-- AI
IP Logged

JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #13 on: Oct 10th, 2007, 8:53pm »

on Oct 3rd, 2007, 2:49pm, FiBsTeR wrote:

Shocked Shocked Shocked Excellent work, this will increase puzzle-solving productivity tenfold! (Well, maybe not so much, but it definitely beats copy/paste.)

on Oct 3rd, 2007, 3:59pm, ima1trkpny wrote:
SMQ, you are such a useful fellow!  Shocked
Good job!

on Oct 4th, 2007, 11:44am, TenaliRaman wrote:

Greasemonkey guru does it again

-- AI

SMQ, I know it's a lil late to say this, but thank you !! Superb job ! Any other Greasemonkey projects ?  Grin
IP Logged

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
SMQ
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #14 on: Oct 11th, 2007, 6:19am »

on Aug 19th, 2007, 11:17am, towr wrote:
Something else that might be convenient, is to just have a reply-field below the last post of the thread. Some forums have a "quick-reply" option like that.

on Oct 10th, 2007, 8:53pm, JiNbOtAk wrote:
SMQ, I know it's a lil late to say this, but thank you !! Superb job ! Any other Greasemonkey projects ?  Grin

I'm toying with a quick-reply feature, but I want to keep it compatible with the math symbols script. Wink

--SMQ
IP Logged

--SMQ

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »