wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - English speaking? »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 9:54pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   general
   guestbook
(Moderators: ThudnBlunder, Eigenray, towr, Icarus, SMQ, william wu, Grimbal)
   English speaking?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: English speaking?  (Read 13649 times)
mikedagr8
Uberpuzzler

A rich man is one who is content; not wealthy.

English speaking?  
« on: Mar 13th, 2008, 2:21am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Just a thought here.
I have come to see a lot of members are not from native English speaking countries. How did you guys learn English? At school? If so, was it enforced upon you? If not, was it due to your family or any other reason?
I am just interested as I am not very strong in languages, yet people on this forum seem to be fluent or able to speak quite clearly in multiple languages.
Here in Australia, English is a requirement all the way through school, and in most schools require students to learn a language in primary school or secondary school.
I am wondering whether it is the same overseas but for Englishs.
IP Logged

"It's not that I'm correct, it's that you're just not correct, and so; I am right." - M.P.E.
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: English speaking?  
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13th, 2008, 2:55am »

on Mar 13th, 2008, 2:21am, mikedagr8 wrote:
Just a thought here.
I have come to see a lot of members are not from native English speaking countries. How did you guys learn English?
Saturday morning cartoons ("fun factory" and "DJ Kat" on Sky channel)

Quote:
I am just interested as I am not very strong in languages
The best time to learn a new language is before you're 7 or 8. Cartoons are an ideal medium, imo. It sadden me a bit that we have so many dubbed cartoons these days (I don't think we have many local cartoons, so they're all foreign); that means all those kids that could have learned English automatically now won't. If they were subbed, the youngest ( being unable to read) would still pick up the language.
Being able to read subtitles myself, I find watching all that subbed anime really hasn't tought me much japanese yet. Oh, if only I'd had japanese cartoons when I was young; I'd be fluent by now.

Quote:
Here in Australia, English is a requirement all the way through school, and in most schools require students to learn a language in primary school or secondary school.
I am wondering whether it is the same overseas but for Englishs.
We had French, German and English classes the first few years in high school, and had to keep at least one of these languages in our curriculum until the end.  
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2008, 2:57am by towr » IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #2 on: Mar 13th, 2008, 3:20am »

For me, I learn English mainly from my friends. In our school days, we tend to converse using both Malay and English. Needless to say, it was filled with funny moments. ( I remembered once, when a friend of mine was asked by the teacher on how he spent his weekend. His reply was, "My uncle taught me how to fish." Everyone laughed, because it sounded to us like his uncle taught him to act like a fish. Although it's grammatically correct, it did not stop us from calling him fish. )

Personally, I find that reading is the best way to improve one's English. Since I'm an avid reader, to the point of being an addict, I find it easier than trying to consult a dictionary every now and then. Conversing, however, is another matter. I find Americans is the easiest to understand ( must be because of all the hollywood movies I've seen ), whereas Australians could be quite difficult to understand ( at first, it gets easier now )

towr, maybe the reason you're not fluent in Japanese yet because it is much harder to master than English ( to me anyway ). I'm an anime freak myself, but safe from a few common phrases, I'd be lost without the subtitles as well.
IP Logged

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #3 on: Mar 13th, 2008, 3:35am »

on Mar 13th, 2008, 3:20am, JiNbOtAk wrote:
towr, maybe the reason you're not fluent in Japanese yet because it is much harder to master than English ( to me anyway ). I'm an anime freak myself, but safe from a few common phrases, I'd be lost without the subtitles as well.
Well, if I were still in my prime language-acquisition years, that wouldn't matter. Japanese children have no more trouble mastering their language than English children have mastering English. It's the most natural thing in the world* to a child to learn a language, even a second or third.

The problem to learning it at an older age is that your brain isn't primed anymore for acquiring a new language, and so it takes a lot more effort. In addition, the lure of subtitles means I don't even really try to understand what is said; I just read what they mean, and only feel what they say (emotional cues, intonation etc).  

*) aside from eating, sleeping and defecating
IP Logged

Random Lack of Squiggily Lines
Senior Riddler

Everything before 7/1/2008 is now irrelevant.

« Reply #4 on: Mar 13th, 2008, 6:04am »

i grew up in Canada, so i speak normal English, but i once lived in Germany, so i picked up a few words there, but all i remember are the numbers 1-7

*spelt how they are sounded

ince, fye, dry, fear,fumph, zex zeben

and the French that has been forced upon me by my stubborn French teacher, the horse

and words from video games, like anon, from Lufia 2
IP Logged

You can only believe i what you can prove, and since you have nothing proven to cmpare to, you can believe in nothing.

I have ~50 posts to hack a "R" into a "D". Which one?
ima1trkpny
Senior Riddler

"Double click on 'Yes'... Hey!"

« Reply #5 on: Mar 13th, 2008, 8:12am »

on Mar 13th, 2008, 2:21am, mikedagr8 wrote:
If so, was it enforced upon you?

"forced"?  Tongue

on Mar 13th, 2008, 3:35am, towr wrote:

The problem to learning it at an older age is that your brain isn't primed anymore for acquiring a new language, and so it takes a lot more effort. In addition, the lure of subtitles means I don't even really try to understand what is said; I just read what they mean, and only feel what they say (emotional cues, intonation etc).  

Neat that you want to learn Japanese. From what I've seen the asian languages can be very difficult to pick up...  

on Mar 13th, 2008, 6:04am, Master of Everything 42 wrote:

ince, fye, dry, fear,fumph, zex zeben

hehehe... yes, I know you spelt them phonetically... but it's eins, zwei, drei, vier, funf, sechs, seben, acht, neun, zehn, elf, zwolf, etc  Tongue
(Second language german in my case... )
I don't know tons about other country's requirements, but here it is pretty much required to take another language (especially if you want to get into one of the universities, etc) Being from Cali, the most common language the students take is spanish, but mine offered french and german as well. Only down side is that we didn't actually start learning them until high school when, as towr already pointed out, it was harder to pick up on the language.  
Are you trying to learn a language Mikey? If so, good luck and I sympathize... languages weren't my strong suit either. Embarassed One thing I found helped a lot was to find someone to converse a lot with who was a native speaker so I got used to hearing the correct grammar. Just keep immersing yourself in the language as much as possible and when you find yourself starting to dream in the language you're on the right track LOL
IP Logged

"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." -Churchill
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #6 on: Mar 13th, 2008, 8:52am »

on Mar 13th, 2008, 8:12am, ima1trkpny wrote:
Neat that you want to learn Japanese.
Well, you shouldn't think too much of it; I'm not putting any effort into learning it at all. It's more wishing I could understand it than actively trying to pick it up.
IP Logged

Hippo
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #7 on: Mar 13th, 2008, 1:47pm »

When my school age started my teacher told my parents that I am strong in math but with absolutely no talent for languages. We have to learn Russian in Czech in the 70s. I have learned English for 2 hours a week when I was 13 (non school courses). On high school we continued with both English and Russian and at university we stop both at the end of the first year (I am not sure with that). I was never tought more than 2 hours a week.

When I was in the third year at university there was "velvet revolution" here. My roommate started watching CNN for more than 10 hours a day as he planned to ask for a place at a university in the US (with success). I have planned family life instead. The CNN watching was a good lesson for understanding spoken (US) English. We were not prepared for dividing sentences into words problem.

Of course as I do cs math, I should sometimes read what other wrote (Knuth, Tarjan, Fredericson, Tamassia, Rauch-Henzinger, Thorup, ...).  
I am sure my English will never be perfect, but the language will not be the main problem during my explanations Smiley.

I have 2 doughters ... older is 8,5 now, younger 3,5.
The older attended English pre-school from 3 years, the younger from 2 years. The younger spends around 40 hours a week listenning and speaking English. The older did it, too.  
Unfortunately as she is going to school, she speeks/listens English less than 5 hours a week, now. But I am sure she will never have problems to refresh the "knowledge".

« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2008, 1:53pm by Hippo » IP Logged
mikedagr8
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #8 on: Mar 13th, 2008, 11:09pm »

LOL! I had to learn a second language since I was four up until last year. 12 years, and I still wasn't able to speak the language.

1trk: I was up late last night studying for my chemistry test and doing my maths, I didn't bother reading over my errors. It turns out I studied so hard, and the heat just killed me in the test, that I had a mental blank and made some errors. Cry  Embarassed

BTW English isn't my native tongue, gibberish is. Just I can't seem to be able to get a response when I speak, so I adopt English. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2008, 11:11pm by mikedagr8 » IP Logged

"It's not that I'm correct, it's that you're just not correct, and so; I am right." - M.P.E.
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #9 on: Mar 14th, 2008, 1:01am »

on Mar 13th, 2008, 11:09pm, mikedagr8 wrote:
LOL! I had to learn a second language since I was four up until last year. 12 years, and I still wasn't able to speak the language.
Since you were four? And they didn't manage to teach you to speak it?
I can hardly imagine what ill-founded teaching method they tried to use. Just speaking the language in a natural context around a four-year old should be enough to have him pick it up.
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2008, 1:03am by towr » IP Logged

mikedagr8
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #10 on: Mar 14th, 2008, 1:09am »

on Mar 14th, 2008, 1:01am, towr wrote:

Since you were four? And they didn't manage to teach you to speak it?
I can hardly imagine what ill-founded teaching method they tried to use. Just speaking the language in a natural context around a four-year old should be enough to have him pick it up.

I wasn't exactly wanting to learn it mind you, I was apprehensive. It's not like I don't understand anything, just, I'm not where I could and should be. I can pick up most things when spoken, but I can't speak or write well (in any language).
IP Logged

rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

« Reply #11 on: Mar 14th, 2008, 10:05am »

on Mar 13th, 2008, 8:12am, ima1trkpny wrote:
hehehe... yes, I know you spelt them phonetically... but it's eins, zwei, drei, vier, funf, sechs, seben, acht, neun, zehn, elf, zwolf, etc  Tongue

*cough* sieben, if memory serves (and Babelfish agrees with me... and points out the missing umlauts on the vowels in funf and zwolf, which I had forgetten)
IP Logged
ima1trkpny
Senior Riddler

"Double click on 'Yes'... Hey!"

« Reply #12 on: Mar 14th, 2008, 12:32pm »

on Mar 14th, 2008, 10:05am, rmsgrey wrote:

*cough* sieben, if memory serves (and Babelfish agrees with me... and points out the missing umlauts on the vowels in funf and zwolf, which I had forgetten)

typo... yes it is sieben. The umlauts I don't know how to do in this format... I assume if I wasn't so lazy I could probably just copy and paste from symbols but that would be too much like work.  Roll Eyes
IP Logged

"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." -Churchill
Sir Col
Uberpuzzler

impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

« Reply #13 on: Mar 14th, 2008, 2:08pm »

Actually this forum doesn't let you make posts containing umlauts anyway (you get a bad request), so...

If you're typing German and the umlaut key is unavailable or unknown then you can always replace the "umlauted" vowel with the standard vowel followed by an "e". For example, fuenf = five and zwoelf = twelve. It might look a a little strange but try it out in Babel Fish:
http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Unfortunately you cannot ignore the umlaut as it can sometimes produce a completely different word: schon = already, but schoen = beautiful. On other occasions it can be the difference between singular and plural: tochter  = daughter, but toechter = daughters.
IP Logged

mathschallenge.net / projecteuler.net
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #14 on: Mar 14th, 2008, 2:59pm »

on Mar 14th, 2008, 2:08pm, Sir Col wrote:
Unfortunately you cannot ignore the umlaut as it can sometimes produce a completely different word: schon = already, but schoen = beautiful. On other occasions it can be the difference between singular and plural: tochter  = daughter, but toechter = daughters.
That's mostly a problem if you use the words out of context. If they're imbedded in sentences, it will usually be clear what is meant (albeit not always)
"Sie ist ein schones Madchen" vs "Sie ist schon eine Frau"
Well, even aside from the case (?) you can really only go one way with the meaning of schon in these sentences.
IP Logged

Sir Col
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #15 on: Mar 14th, 2008, 4:41pm »

I am certainly no expert in the German language, but it is my understanding that whereas context is helpful in most cases, for someone beginning to learn the language it will only lead to bad habits if the umlaut is ignored.

If you didn't use an umlaut, compare, "Sie ist schon" with "Sie ist schoen".
What about "Ich habe die tochter geheiratet" versus "Ich habe die toechter geheiratet"?

Even more problematic... suppose I wanted to say, "I would like to marry the daughter."

I should write, "Ich moechte die Tochter heiraten."

However, missing the umlaut results in the slightly clumsy, but understandable: "Ich mochte die Tochter heiraten".
« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2008, 5:13pm by Sir Col » IP Logged

towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #16 on: Mar 15th, 2008, 3:38pm »

on Mar 14th, 2008, 4:41pm, Sir Col wrote:
I am certainly no expert in the German language, but it is my understanding that whereas context is helpful in most cases, for someone beginning to learn the language it will only lead to bad habits if the umlaut is ignored.
I can't really make up my mind on the issue. On the one hand most written languages are rife with homographs anyway; on the other hand adding extra exceptions isn't doing a student any favours either.
Of course, at school I learn to write with umlauts; then on the internet I learned not to bother. Everyone understood me perfectly without, and it's too much work entirely to create umlauts (at least without also creating other nuisances.)

Quote:
If you didn't use an umlaut, compare, "Sie ist schon" with "Sie ist schoen".
Without further context I don't see what could be meant by "she is already"/"she already is".  

Quote:
What about "Ich habe die tochter geheiratet" versus "Ich habe die toechter geheiratet"?
Bigamy is rather rare in Germany (and the west in general); so the latter case would be rare. If used in isolation it would need the umlaut to avoid the default assumption.
On the other hand if it's followed (or preceded) by a disambiguiting sentence it might not matter. If you add "Sie sind gans glucklich.", than the daughters must have been plural. Of course, it might necessitate the reader to backtrack; which isn't a nice thing to do as a writer.

Quote:
Even more problematic... suppose I wanted to say, "I would like to marry the daughter."

I should write, "Ich moechte die Tochter heiraten."

However, missing the umlaut results in the slightly clumsy, but understandable: "Ich mochte die Tochter heiraten".
Hmm, does "mochte" have any meaning without the umlaut? I can't quite see the problem. Although in a formal written proposal, I suppose it's best to be as correct as possible.
IP Logged

Eigenray
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #17 on: Mar 15th, 2008, 4:58pm »

Distinguishing homographs and homophones in context isn't hard, but it's interesting that most of the time, the brain seems to do it without any conscious thought.  For example, if you (or a native English speaker, at least) hear me say "well, you just know what I mean," it wouldn't even occur to you that I might be talking about holes, sheep, fairness, negation, vision, or cruelty.  Your brain knows there's only one grammatical interpretation, and rejects the other 63 (at least) without even telling you.  Bad grammar is frustrating because it requires thought to parse.
IP Logged
Sir Col
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #18 on: Mar 15th, 2008, 5:38pm »

on Mar 15th, 2008, 3:38pm, towr wrote:
Without further context I don't see what could be meant by "she is already"/"she already is".

It is unlikely that this sentence would appear in isolation, but there's quite a difference between "Sie is schoen" = "She is beautiful" (with umlaut) and "Sie is schon" = "She already is" (without umlaut).

Quote:
Hmm, does "mochte" have any meaning without the umlaut?

moechte/mochte are the present subjunctive/imperfect first person forms respectively of the verb moegen (to like):
Ich mag = I like
Ich moechte = I would like
Ich mochte = I liked
« Last Edit: Mar 17th, 2008, 8:14am by Sir Col » IP Logged

towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #19 on: Mar 16th, 2008, 8:09am »

on Mar 15th, 2008, 5:38pm, Sir Col wrote:
It is unlikely that this sentence would appear in isolation, but there's quite a difference between "Sie is schoen" = "She is beautiful" (with umlaut) and "Sie is schon" = "She already is" (without umlaut).
I'm not disputing that there's quite a difference there; I'm disputing it's much a problem. Especially considering all the homographs in english and the total disregard for linking pronunciation to spelling. For example 'read' (present tense) vs 'read' (past tense); 'breath' (verb) vs 'breath' (noun).
I don't see why it can work for English but wouldn't work for German. Not having to write umlauts is worth the extra ambiguity; not to mention ambiguity is great for wordplay.

Quote:
moechte/mochte are the present/past first person subjunctive forms respectively of the verb moegen (to like):
Ich mag = I like
Ich moechte = I would like
Ich mochte = I (might have) liked
Well, ok, aside from that you can't distinguish 'mochte' from 'moechte', since they're so close. (Then again, it's very similar to the problem with 'read').
IP Logged

Ghost Sniper
Senior Riddler

Do not hide. It is useless.

« Reply #20 on: Mar 18th, 2008, 7:51am »

I actually lived in China till I was 7, so when I moved to Canada, I had to learn English from the ABC's. It was harder for my parents, who took English classes in China, to learn English than me.  Tongue
IP Logged

*sob* I miss my mommy... *blows nose* huh, I'm on? oh right.

(thinks to self) Time for my speech to these college kids.

"Reason is more important than all emotions..."
Random Lack of Squiggily Lines
Senior Riddler

Everything before 7/1/2008 is now irrelevant.

« Reply #21 on: Apr 3rd, 2008, 1:38pm »

Do you know i site where i could learn German, because my father lives there and it would b great to be able to talk to the people there.
IP Logged

You can only believe i what you can prove, and since you have nothing proven to cmpare to, you can believe in nothing.

I have ~50 posts to hack a "R" into a "D". Which one?
ssa

« Reply #22 on: May 4th, 2008, 11:29am »

Cartoon Network and games.
IP Logged
jakelittle

« Reply #23 on: Mar 17th, 2010, 5:41pm »

The best way to learn English (or any language) is to associate with others.
IP Logged
Stormchaser

« Reply #24 on: Apr 9th, 2010, 4:25am »

I've basically studied at school. But in fact I was able to learn it when I went to the US.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »