wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Array (find min of |A[i]-B[j]|) »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 8:49am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   cs
(Moderators: SMQ, Eigenray, william wu, Grimbal, ThudnBlunder, Icarus, towr)
   Array (find min of |A[i]-B[j]|)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Array (find min of |A[i]-B[j]|)  (Read 5060 times)
witee

Email

Array (find min of |A[i]-B[j]|)  
« on: Jul 28th, 2010, 3:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Given 2 sorted arrays A and B, sorted in increasing order, find the minimum value of |A[i]-B[j]| for all i belonging to A and all j belonging to B. Preffered order O(M+n) in the worst case. m being size of array A and n being size of array B.
 the same question to n sorted arrays with k elements each, required to find the minimum range in which the values fall.
« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2010, 6:19am by Grimbal » IP Logged
sateesp

Re: Array  
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28th, 2010, 8:17pm »

Code:

int value(int a[],int b[])
{
i=1;j=1;
mindiff = a[m]+b[n];
int xi = -1;
int yi =-1;
while(i<=m && j<=n)
{
if ( moduls(a[i]-b[j])< mindiff)
{
mindiff = moduls(a[i]-b[j]);
xi = i;
yi = j;
}

if ( a[i]> b[j])
{
j++;
}
else
{
i++;
}
}
mindiff= contains the |x[i]-y[j]|
}
IP Logged
birbal

« Reply #2 on: Nov 15th, 2010, 1:13am »

on Jul 28th, 2010, 8:17pm, sateesp wrote:
Code:

int value(int a[],int b[])
{
i=1;j=1;
mindiff = a[m]+b[n];
int xi = -1;
int yi =-1;
while(i<=m && j<=n)
{
if ( moduls(a[i]-b[j])< mindiff)
{
mindiff = moduls(a[i]-b[j]);
xi = i;
yi = j;
}

if ( a[i]> b[j])
{
j++;
}
else
{
i++;
}
}
mindiff= contains the |x[i]-y[j]|
}

In intialization, mindiff should be  
mindiff = moduls(a[m]-b[n]);
IP Logged

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself!
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: Array (find min of |A[i]-B[j]|)  
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18th, 2010, 7:14am »

This basically comes down to merging, and checking for the smallest difference between consecutive elements (as long as they are from different arrays). So for multiple arrays, you could do it in O(k log (n)) runtime, by using a tree of merging streams, and noting the smallest difference you encounter at any node of that tree. (You'll never have elements from the same array arrive at a node at the same time, so there is no worry you'll note an in-array difference.)
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
birbal

« Reply #4 on: Nov 20th, 2010, 10:36pm »

on Nov 18th, 2010, 7:14am, towr wrote:
This basically comes down to merging, and checking for the smallest difference between consecutive elements (as long as they are from different arrays). So for multiple arrays, you could do it in O(k log (n)) runtime, by using a tree of merging streams, and noting the smallest difference you encounter at any node of that tree. (You'll never have elements from the same array arrive at a node at the same time, so there is no worry you'll note an in-array difference.)

What is k n what is n here :|
IP Logged

towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #5 on: Nov 21st, 2010, 1:36am »

Same as in the last line of the opening post, n is the number of arrays, k is the number of elements per array.
O(log(n)) is the depth of the tree for merging the arrays.
« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2010, 1:41am by towr » IP Logged

Hippo
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #6 on: Dec 8th, 2010, 7:22am »

on Nov 18th, 2010, 7:14am, towr wrote:

Actually you don't need to sort the entire set to find the answer. I am not sure if I need the log(n) factor.
Basically you can find maximal first element and move through arrays to the last position at most this maximal value. The difference between the maximum and minimal obtained value is the first estimate. (So far so good with O(n) initialisation.)
Now we can move further in array with minimal current value. This gives us new maximal value. We can move in an array to the last element smaller than new maximum, but if the difference is bigger than current estimate, we can made one more step creating new maximum. ...

Actually this algorithm would be worse in the case we could not move in arrays as each array is accessed to find this. And we actually did finding minimum in O(n) time. But may be we could organize the stop elements (first higher in array than current max) better.
IP Logged
blackJack

2b \/ ~2b

« Reply #7 on: Feb 16th, 2011, 8:22am »

Quote:
So for multiple arrays, you could do it in O(k log (n)) runtime, by using a tree of merging streams, and noting the smallest difference you encounter at any node of that tree

@Towr, will the complexity not be O(k*n*log(n)) ? As kn will be the total elements in the arrays which we have to see atlast, and taking out an element in sorted fashion from all elements will take O(log(n)) time. Or have i understood it wrong?
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #8 on: Feb 16th, 2011, 8:51am »

I think you're right, I seem to have made an error there.
IP Logged

wiley

« Reply #9 on: Sep 17th, 2011, 1:37am »

@towr.. could you please explain your solution for n arrays in more detail..
IP Logged
birbal

« Reply #10 on: Dec 24th, 2011, 9:58am »

on Dec 8th, 2010, 7:22am, Hippo wrote:

Actually you don't need to sort the entire set to find the answer. I am not sure if I need the log(n) factor.
Basically you can find maximal first element and move through arrays to the last position at most this maximal value. The difference between the maximum and minimal obtained value is the first estimate. (So far so good with O(n) initialisation.)
Now we can move further in array with minimal current value. This gives us new maximal value. We can move in an array to the last element smaller than new maximum, but if the difference is bigger than current estimate, we can made one more step creating new maximum. ...

Actually this algorithm would be worse in the case we could not move in arrays as each array is accessed to find this. And we actually did finding minimum in O(n) time. But may be we could organize the stop elements (first higher in array than current max) better.

Can you explain your solution stepwise, what exactly are we doing and how are we avoiding logn factor ?

IP Logged

ashmish2

« Reply #11 on: Mar 22nd, 2012, 3:54am »

on Nov 15th, 2010, 1:13am, birbal wrote:

In intialization, mindiff should be  
mindiff = moduls(a[m]-b[n]);

Does it really matter what mindiff is initially , it just has to a greater or equal to max( a[m], a[n]). Right?
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »