wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Generalized tower of hanoi with optimal solution »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 6:24am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   cs
(Moderators: william wu, Eigenray, Icarus, ThudnBlunder, towr, Grimbal, SMQ)
   Generalized tower of hanoi with optimal solution
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Generalized tower of hanoi with optimal solution  (Read 5567 times)
getafix78

Generalized tower of hanoi with optimal solution  
« on: Jan 19th, 2012, 7:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

There are K pegs. Each peg can hold discs in decreasing order of radius when looked from bottom to top of the peg. There are N discs which have radius 1 to N; Given the initial configuration of the pegs and the final configuration of the pegs, output the moves required to transform from the initial to final configuration. You are required to do the transformations in minimal number of moves.
 A move consists of picking the topmost disc of any one of the pegs and placing it on top of anyother peg..
 At anypoint of time, the decreasing radius property of all the pegs must be maintained..

Constraints:
 1<= N<=8
 3<= K<=5

Input Format:
 N K
 2nd line contains N integers.
Each integer in the second line is in the range 1 to K where the i-th integer denotes the peg to which disc of radius i is present in the initial configuration.
3rd line denotes the final configuration in a format similar to the initial configuration.

Output Format:
 The first line contains M - The minimal number of moves required to complete the transformation.  
The following M lines describe a move, by a peg number to pick from and a peg number to place on.
 If there are more than one solutions, it's sufficient to output any one of them. You can assume, there is always a solution with less than 7 moves and the initial confirguration will not be same as the final one.

Sample Input #00:

2 3
1 1
2 2

Sample Output #00:

1 3
1 2
3 2

Sample Input #01:
 6 4
4 2 4 3 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1

Sample Output #01:
3 1
4 3
4 1
2 1
3 1
IP Logged
birbal

Re: Generalized tower of hanoi with optimal soluti  
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22nd, 2012, 7:14am »

for k = 3, moves = 2^n -1;
for k = 4,5 looks like its still an open problem :/
IP Logged

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself!
getafix78

« Reply #2 on: Jan 22nd, 2012, 8:47pm »

I think solutions exist for k=4 and 5 as well. Shouldnt it be easier to solve the problem with more pegs? As in, in the regular tower of hanoi problem, the number of moves needed reduces as the number of pegs increase
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #3 on: Jan 22nd, 2012, 10:09pm »

Yeah, it becomes easier to solve the problem with more pegs, but it may be harder to find the optimal number of moves.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
getafix78

« Reply #4 on: Jan 27th, 2012, 10:06pm »

I found this problem as a facebook programming challenge question, so I assume there does exist a reasonably efficient way to solve this, but I am stumbled by this so far.
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #5 on: Jan 28th, 2012, 11:59am »

Well, you could try the frame-stewart algorithm, but there is no proof that it gives the optimal solution (though there are no counterexamples known at the moment, unless wikipedia is out of date).  
The algorithms that are known to give optimal solution tend not to be so efficient.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
arun gupta

hello friends :)

« Reply #6 on: Mar 22nd, 2012, 10:11pm »

i rememberd tower of hanoi is one of the popular topic in my semester when i was studying computer science in amritsar and i had to travel by cab daily Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2012, 11:43pm by arun gupta » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »