wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Easy: Hummingbird »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 1st, 2024, 11:41pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   easy
(Moderators: ThudnBlunder, Grimbal, Eigenray, SMQ, towr, william wu, Icarus)
   Easy: Hummingbird
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Easy: Hummingbird  (Read 9241 times)
ootte

Easy: Hummingbird  
« on: Jul 24th, 2002, 2:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The trains move towards each other at a speed of 35 mph. 5000 miles will be done in 142.86h then. After 142.86h the train from LA travelled 2142.9 miles and the train from NY travelled 2857.2 miles. In 142.86h the hummingbird flew 142.86 h * 25 mph = 3571.5 miles. It doesn't matter that the hummingbird flies back and forth, it's only the time that matters.

Comments are appreciated.

--  
Oliver
IP Logged
edyforfun

Re: Easy: Hummingbird  
« Reply #1 on: Jul 27th, 2002, 10:31am »

I came out with the same answer too.  The two trains must have travelled for the same time period to collide, and since both trains travelled at different speed, the distance each train have travelled can be different.  However, the addition of the distances both trains have travelled must be 5000 miles.

x = time required for the 2 trains to collide.
15x + 20x = 5000
35x = 5000
x = 5000/35 = 142.86 hours

Thus, the hummingbird has travelled 142.86 x 25 = 3571.5

IP Logged
rfeague

« Reply #2 on: Sep 7th, 2002, 12:33pm »

What's really great about this puzzle is you can solve it the easy way (the way you guys did) or you can solve it the hard way (the way C. Clark did in the thread "Here are the easy answers").  It seems very hard if you try to add up the number of oscillations back and forth the bird made.
IP Logged
explosion

Beware of programmers who carry screwdrivers.

2756402 2756402    

« Reply #3 on: Dec 3rd, 2002, 2:00pm »

Haven't you thought that railway between New York and Los Angeles is NOT straight?
IP Logged
Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #4 on: Dec 3rd, 2002, 7:04pm »

on Dec 3rd, 2002, 2:00pm, explosion wrote:
Haven't you thought that railway between New York and Los Angeles is NOT straight?

The answer still holds, as long as 5000 miles is the length of the railway, not the straight line length. And it does not matter what route the hummingbird takes between the two trains. The total distance it flies remains the same, because the answer depends only on its speed and flight time.

Note that the "hard" way of doing this becomes impossible if the hummingbird does not follow the track, but the "easy" answer is unchanged.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
A Hidden Cow

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 14th, 2002, 10:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Knitpicking, but the riddle implys, but doesn't specifically <i>say</i> that the two trains leave their respective cities at the same time.
IP Logged
A Hidden Cow

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 14th, 2002, 10:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Oops!  Heh, just thought I could throw HTML in there, I guess not, I also misspelled "implys".  Oh well...
IP Logged
william wu
wu::riddles Administrator

« Reply #7 on: Dec 15th, 2002, 12:02am »

To: A Hidden Cow

This forum uses square brackets to delimit italicization tags. For future reference, use the following code to italicize text:

Code:

[i] yadda yadda yadda [/i]

Appears as

yadda yadda yadda

Not all of this forum's nifty text manipulation features have syntax which resembles that of HTML, so if you're uncertain, the YABBC tags toolbar is your best bet.

Also, if you register, you'll have the opportunity to correct such typos by your ÿÿÿðE-ñw7Ç`
IP Logged

[ wu ] : http://wuriddles.com / http://forums.wuriddles.com
logan

« Reply #8 on: Nov 28th, 2006, 2:42am »

i didn't make the calculations but in terms of math perivious calculations looks right. But something about physics disturbed me. When two trains are rushing each other as the distance close up humming bird will make quick come and goes between trains. This quick flights will get narrower and narrower until the impact.  
The deal is that you cannot calculate an accurate distance since for the right measurements even the centimeters and milimeters before crush humming bird is still flying (also moment of crush.. what is the "moment" in terms of physics?). thus result will end like number X,abcd.... where after comma goes to infinity. Thus it is noy quite possible to reach to an exact statement.
« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2006, 3:11pm by Icarus » IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re:  
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28th, 2006, 2:58am »

on Nov 28th, 2006, 2:42am, logan wrote:
thus result will end like number X,abcd.... where after comma goes to infinity. Thus it is noy quite possible to reach to an exact statement.
That doesn't mean much. 0.999...=1 and a number like sqrt(2) also goes on with infinite decimals.  
And in fact, in this case there is an exact number, if we abstract the hummingbrid to a point (as is customary in maths and physics)  
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #10 on: Nov 28th, 2006, 3:29pm »

Any time you apply mathematics to a real world situation, you make approximations. Measurements in the real world come with uncertainty - and this is not just because of limits on our ability to measure, but because the quantity we are measuring is itself not defined past a certain accuracy.

For example, if you are given a rod and asked to measure exactly how long it is, you could quickly give the answer "1 meter", but this is only a general answer. If you needed the length to a millimeter or less, then you first have to ask: at what temperature am I measuring? For, while the length of the bar without regard to temperature is well-enough defined for meter-accuracy, it is not well-enough defined for millimeter accuracy.

By fixing the temperature and pressure at which the bar is to be measured, you can obtain an accuracy to micron level. But at the angstrom level, the length is not well-defined again, as you must now define what mathematical surface about the atoms of the rod constitute its limits. Once you have accomplished that, you next run into the limitations of the definition of "meter" (though unless you have some revolutionary new means of measurement, you will run into the limitations of your equipment either before or at the same time as this).

It is to be understood that any time we apply mathematics to the real world, we are only approximating the fuzzy real world situation with our infinitely precise mathematical model.

But the fact is, this is not a physical puzzle, but a mathematical one. One clear indicator of this is the fact that the bird is already acting in a physically impossible manner long before the trains approach each other (the infinitely fast direction changes when it reaches each train).
IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
sks2141

« Reply #11 on: Jan 23rd, 2007, 5:30am »

How can be the same problem be approached if the distance between LA n NY is not know beforehand:

Is it possible to use substitution and elimination methods for deriving the final answer or the final answer will be in terms of some constant only ? Huh
IP Logged
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #12 on: Jan 23rd, 2007, 4:59pm »

There is not enough information in the riddle to deduce the distance if it were not given. Therefore there cannot be enough information to deduce the time either.

If you were not given the distance, the best you could answer is that the hummingbird travels (5/7)D, where D is the length of the train track connecting the two cities.
IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
samspade1945

« Reply #13 on: Jun 30th, 2009, 4:45am »

Hi, my algebra skills seem to be a bit rusty, I originally came up with this,

[(x mi / 15 mph) - (x mi / 20 mph)] = T hours, the amount of time until the trains crash.
T hours * 25 mph = D miles, the distance the bird can travel before the trains crash.
Combining:
[(x mi / 15 mph) - (x mi / 20 mph)] * 25 mph = D miles
[(4x mi / 60 mph) - (3x mi / 60 mph)] * 25 mph = D miles
(x mi / 60 mph) * 25 mph = D miles
25x mi / 60 = D miles
5x mi / 12 = D miles
(5 * 5000) mi / 12 = 2083.333... miles

And I am wondering why
[(x mi / 15 mph) - (x mi / 20 mph)] = T hours, the amount of time until the trains crash.
doesn't give the correct time for impact.  I've figured out that it gives the difference in time between when the second train arrives in LA and the first train arrives in New York if they were on parallel tracks, but why isn't also the time until the collison?

Can someone please help?
thank you

-edit
I understand now, thank you for your help towr
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2009, 10:03pm by samspade1945 » IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #14 on: Jun 30th, 2009, 5:27am »

on Jun 30th, 2009, 4:45am, samspade1945 wrote:
And I am wondering why
doesn't give the correct time for impact.  I've figured out that it gives the difference in time between when the second train arrives in LA and the first train arrives in New York if they were on parallel tracks, but why isn't also the time until the collison?
Because the distance between the trains decreases by 15+20=35 mph.

Suppose both trains go 20 mph, would you say they should immediately crash, just because they would have arrived at their destination at the same time if they were on parallel tracks?
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »