wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - COLLECTOR VIOLINS »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 16th, 2024, 11:00pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   easy
(Moderators: towr, Grimbal, SMQ, william wu, Icarus, Eigenray, ThudnBlunder)
   COLLECTOR VIOLINS
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: COLLECTOR VIOLINS  (Read 2398 times)
R
Senior Riddler

Addicted!!!

COLLECTOR VIOLINS  
« on: Jul 1st, 2009, 12:35am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Violins produced on the island of Grxcd have become collectors’ items since it sank into the sea two centuries ago. All the island’s violins were produced by Bropcs or one of his sons, or by Czwyz or one of his sons. Every violin was labelled ostensibly to reveal its maker but, although Bropcs and his sons always labelled their violins truthfully, Czwyz and his sons always labelled their violins with falsehoods. Both families playfully interfered with collectors’ attempts to establish provenances for their violins. For example, collectors figured out that a violin labelled “ This violin was not made by any son of Bropcs.” was made by Bropcs Sr.; can you see why? The most desirable violins are so labelled that a connoisseur can tell that it must have been made by one of the fathers, either Bropcs Sr. or Czwyz Sr., but cannot tell which. How might such a violin be labelled?

From the riddle site, easy section. I searched for it, couldn't find it.

I thought of this: This violin was made by Bropcs Sr. not by Czwyz Sr.
Is it the right answerHuh
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2009, 12:36am by R » IP Logged

The first experience seems like Magic, but the second tells you the Trick behind it.
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: COLLECTOR VIOLINS  
« Reply #1 on: Jul 1st, 2009, 12:43am »

Seems to me that a violin so labeled might have been crafted by the sons of Czwyz as well.  

on Jul 1st, 2009, 12:35am, R wrote:
From the riddle site, easy section. I searched for it, couldn't find it.
Did you set the maximum age back? Searching for "violin" gave me:
http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~wwu/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=riddles_eas y;action=display;num=1034814491;start=2#2
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2009, 12:45am by towr » IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
R
Senior Riddler

Addicted!!!

Re: COLLECTOR VIOLINS  
« Reply #2 on: Jul 1st, 2009, 1:17am »

on Jul 1st, 2009, 12:43am, towr wrote:
Seems to me that a violin so labeled might have been crafted by the sons of Czwyz as well.  

Did you set the maximum age back? Searching for "violin" gave me:
http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~wwu/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=riddles_eas y;action=display;num=1034814491;start=2#2

Ohh.. didn't set that option. Sorry. Smiley
IP Logged

The first experience seems like Magic, but the second tells you the Trick behind it.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »