wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - ICE CREAM URBAN RIOTS »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 3:32am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   easy
(Moderators: ThudnBlunder, william wu, Icarus, Eigenray, SMQ, Grimbal, towr)
   ICE CREAM URBAN RIOTS
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: ICE CREAM URBAN RIOTS  (Read 11819 times)
jmlyle

ICE CREAM URBAN RIOTS  
« on: Jul 31st, 2002, 11:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This is a great one. There is also a direct, positive correlation between ice cream sales and incidents of rape.

-- jmlyle
IP Logged
JPM

Email

Re: ICE CREAM URBAN RIOTS  
« Reply #1 on: Aug 1st, 2002, 6:35am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I'm guessing this has something to do with heat.  When it's hotter outside ice cream sales go up, and people in general are just more disgruntled and uncomfortable.  I know, I live in Texas.
IP Logged
snags697

Mad Physicist

« Reply #2 on: Aug 1st, 2002, 12:48pm »

And, of course, when it's cold out, less people go outside to commit crimes and/or become victims.  I know, I live in the northeast. ;-)
« Last Edit: Aug 5th, 2002, 6:16am by snags697 » IP Logged
Arvin Farahmand

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 7th, 2002, 11:17am »

MASSIVE URBAN RIOTS, happen in summer, not in Winter -- at least when you look on a global scale.

The ice cream -> summer link is obvious.

IP Logged
cadamus

« Reply #4 on: Aug 7th, 2002, 7:25pm »

***HINT***

This is based on cause and effect. The two effects are massive riots and eating ice cream. What single cause would lead to both of these. (And it is not always temperature)
IP Logged
fredo

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 9th, 2002, 10:56am »

Eating Ice Cream causes headaches...
IP Logged
Brett Danaher

Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 9th, 2002, 11:57am »

This is ridiculous.  I can't believe no one as posted a correct answer, although the first poster here I think knows it.  

Anyway, the key is in the title "massive URBAN riots."  Think - the more people in an area, the more ice cream consumed.  The more people in an area, the higher likelihood of riots.  Sorry to give it away, but everyone was posting about temperatures.  

However, if the correlation were between "ice cream sales per capita" and "riots per capita", that might be interesting.  If there IS a correlation there, then I have to think some more about this riddle.
IP Logged
Brett Danaher

Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 9th, 2002, 11:59am »

on Aug 9th, 2002, 11:57am, Brett Danaher wrote:
This is ridiculous.  I can't believe no one as posted a correct answer, although the first poster here I think knows it.  

Anyway, the key is in the title "massive URBAN riots."  Think - the more people in an area, the more ice cream consumed.  The more people in an area, the higher likelihood of riots.  Sorry to give it away, but everyone was posting about temperatures.  

However, if the correlation were between "ice cream sales per capita" and "riots per capita", that might be interesting.  If there IS a correlation there, then I have to think some more about this riddle.

Or stop eating ice eating ice cream!
IP Logged
KT

Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 18th, 2002, 5:12am »

Funny, I read the question to mean "Why did the scientists perform this study?"  The only reason I could figure was that they had gotten a government grant and needed to use up the money or they would never get more.

I am not a complete idiot.  I had my tonsils taken out.
IP Logged
Robert Grimsley

Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 23rd, 2002, 12:38pm »

There is also a correlation between age and crime.  (Whether young people eat more ice cream than older people, I'm not sure, but it wouldn't surprise me).
IP Logged
phasemute

Email

« Reply #10 on: Aug 23rd, 2002, 7:11pm »

Power outages directly cause ice cream eating as well as rioting.

Brett; do you know what a direct, positive correlation  is?
IP Logged
Anwis

Email

« Reply #11 on: Aug 27th, 2002, 5:12pm »

I Scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream....  Smiley

Screaming is a palpable sign of urban riots, is it not?  

IP Logged
James Fingas
Uberpuzzler

Email

« Reply #12 on: Aug 30th, 2002, 1:24pm »

I am enlightened from reading your creative answers! Now I see that the question is ambiguous!

What is the independent variable? If they are correlating ice cream and massive riots, what is the X variable? Time of year? Place? Number of people? Which city you live in? Decade? Time of day? Day of the week? Number of big tourist events? All of these have correlations! I'm sure there are many more!

New answer: the reason is people. On a deserted island, no ice cream, and no riots. Out in space too (except for free-dried ice cream (YUCK) for astronauts).
IP Logged

Doc, I'm addicted to advice! What should I do?
spyros

Email

« Reply #13 on: Sep 19th, 2002, 3:35am »

If I am correct "positive" correlation does not mean that the more ice cream is eaten the more probable a riot is. It can be the opposite (the
less the ice cream consumed, the more a riot is bound to happen)

So... how about money? Riots are bound to happen in areas where poor people leave (rich people don't usually riot!). If you are poor, chances are that you can not afford to let your children (or yourself) buy as much ice cream as they/you would want .

Not to mention that not being able to eat  enough ice cream is a good enough reason to riot  Smiley
IP Logged
James Fingas
Uberpuzzler

Email

« Reply #14 on: Sep 19th, 2002, 11:09am »

Spyros,

I think that "direct, positive" correlation does in fact mean that ice cream and riots increase together. If more ice cream caused fewer riots, that would be a negative correlation.

Correlation IIRC is integral(XY)dt-integral(X)dt*integral(Y)dt, where t is the independent variable. This number will be positive if they increase and decrease together, and negative if one increases while the other decreases.

The problem I identified here is that we don't know what t is. Without t, we can't decide which ice creams go with which riots, so we don't know how to quantify the question. Every answer, therefore, implies what t is. Since there are likely different t's that we could pick, there are different correct answers. Many have been suggested, and some of them I'm sure are correct.
IP Logged

Doc, I'm addicted to advice! What should I do?
Chronos

WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Sep 19th, 2002, 11:11am »

Quote:
If I am correct "positive" correlation does not mean that the more ice cream is eaten the more probable a riot is. It can be the opposite (the less the ice cream consumed, the more a riot is bound to happen)
No, that's a negative correlation.  If there's no connection one way or the other, then that's just called "no correlation".

Besides, in the US, at least, there is no urbanized area where a significant portion of the population can't afford ice cream, and even the richest folks only eat it about once a day or so.
IP Logged
jmlyle

« Reply #16 on: Sep 19th, 2002, 12:43pm »

Okay, I'm not sure what the people are talking about when they say that temperature is not involved, because it is. I learned this fact both in Sociology and Experimental Psychology classes. There WAS a study which showed the correlation between ice cream sales and instances of rape, which I reference in my first post (w00t!).  

Obviously, high temperatures result in high ice cream sales. Also, high temps cause people to wear more revealing clothing. And, (especially if any one has seen "Do The Right Thing,") they should know that high temeratures also lead to frustration, especially when power failures are involved. Urban areas are more likely to have brown outs when everyone is running their air conditioners to beat excessive temperatures. Basically, extreme temeratures create situations in which people are more likely to riot, rape, and buy ice cream....

--------------------------------
-sig deleted to protect the innocent
IP Logged
Praji

Email

« Reply #17 on: Jul 9th, 2004, 3:28am »

The unhappier ppl are, the more pro-riot they will be.
The unhappier ppl are, the more ice cream they will eat.
IP Logged
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #18 on: Jul 14th, 2004, 7:56pm »

Praji, your answer seems to indicate a negative correlation.  

If people are unhappy, they eat ice cream. This causes them to become happy, because ice cream is commonly accepted as a comfort food.  

If people become happy, they will not riot.  
If people do not riot, then the instance of riots decreases.  

Therefore, eating ice cream results in fewer riots.  

Of course, this is based on eating ice cream causing people to become happy.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: Jul 14th, 2004, 7:57pm by Speaker » IP Logged

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. <Ben Franklin>
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #19 on: Jul 15th, 2004, 12:16am »

Yes, but you're assuming they get ice-cream before the riot, whereas everyone who is anybody knows you don't get ice-cream till after the riot Wink
http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff900/fv00823.htm
http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff900/fv00832.htm
http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff900/fv00839.htm
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #20 on: Jul 15th, 2004, 12:24am »

Ha ha ha  ha ha  

Let them eat cake! Famous last words, if only they had had refrigeration back then...  Roll Eyes
IP Logged

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. <Ben Franklin>
Fifis

—Poet, composer, pianist.—

« Reply #21 on: Mar 9th, 2013, 6:59am »

The title reminded me of Monty Python’s “Urban Idiots”.

The basic reason for correlation between sales of any product and number of riots in that location is the amount of people inhabiting the area. It’s just the general population that influences ice cream revenues and number of riots in that area. In villages, ice cream is not abundant, and villagers rarely have subcultures and opposing groups; everything is uniform. In cities, large groups of people include protesters and potential remonstrants. And of course, more population results in more ice cream sold.

However, the entry about temperature is very smart (hotter weather = quicktempered folks). It’s easier to undress and fight than to buckle anoraks up and fight.
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2013, 7:00am by Fifis » IP Logged
Annettagiles

« Reply #22 on: Sep 30th, 2014, 4:28am »

What do you meant? or what are you trying to exhibit from this?
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »