wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Rook & Bishop »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 7:38am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   easy
(Moderators: Eigenray, Grimbal, ThudnBlunder, Icarus, SMQ, william wu, towr)
   Rook & Bishop
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Rook & Bishop  (Read 554 times)
ThudnBlunder
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

The dewdrop slides into the shining Sea

Rook & Bishop  
« on: Apr 15th, 2003, 6:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

A rook and bishop are placed on two randomly chosen squares of a chessboard.  

What is the probability that either one of them will attack the other?
IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
cho

Email

Re: Rook & Bishop  
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15th, 2003, 6:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I think, A rook attacks 14 squares. A bishop attacks an average of 8.75 squares. The attacking squares are always mutually exclusive, so for any rook position the odds of an attack are 22.75/64.
IP Logged
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #2 on: Apr 15th, 2003, 7:06pm »

By essentially brute force, I come up with 13/36.

Here is how:
Consider the first piece to be placed in the lower right quadrant. There are 7 positions in this quadrant adjacent to an edge. Each such position attacks/ or is attacked by the 7 other spaces on the same row, the 7 other spaces on the same column, and 7 diagonally adjacent spaces. Total is 21.

Of the squares one in from the edge, there are 5 such squares in the quadrant, the number of attack positions are 7 for rows, 7 for columns, and 9 for diagonals. Total is 23.

Two in from the edge gives 3 squares, and 7, 7, and 11 attack positions. Total is 25.

Three in from the edge has only 1 square, and 7, 7, and 13 attack positions. Total is 27.

Since there are 4 quadrants, the number of paired positions with one attacking the other is:
4 x(7x21 + 5x23 + 3x25 + 1x27) = 4x364=16x7x13

Since there are a total 64x63=64x9x7 pairs of positions, the probability of attacking positions is

16x7x13 / 64x9x7 = 13/4x9 = 13/36.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
redPEPPER

« Reply #3 on: Apr 16th, 2003, 5:01am »

I came up with the same answer as Icarus, and with basically the same reasoning.  I wouldn't call it brute force though.  You enumerate the different group of occurences that have different properties and ponderate them correctly regarding how often they occur.  I don't see how you could end up with the correct result without doing that.

Now that I look at it, Cho is doing the same, except that he hides all the enumeration and ponderation under the bishop's average.  He is also correct.  He doesn't find the same answer because he divides by 64 at the end.  But for any rook position the bishop has only 63 other squares to go, not 64.  Aside from that, 22.75/63 = 13/36 = 0.3611...
IP Logged
ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

The dewdrop slides into the shining Sea

« Reply #4 on: Apr 18th, 2003, 6:17am »

on Apr 16th, 2003, 5:01am, redPEPPER wrote:

Now that I look at it, Cho is doing the same, except that he hides all the enumeration and ponderation under the bishop's average.  He is also correct.  

And cho's answer is the more elegant. Using the fact that a rook and bishop can never simultaneously attack each other (and thus the same squares are never counted twice), he arrives at the correct answer in just two lines (although he did have to calculate the average for the bishop), except for his little slip at the end.

My solution was somewhere in-between. I reasoned that the required probability was the same as the probability of a queen attacking another square, and then I worked out the numbers for one quadrant.    
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2003, 8:41am by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »