wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Sherlock Holmes and the Boarded Bugalows »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 7:37am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   easy
(Moderators: Icarus, SMQ, Grimbal, towr, ThudnBlunder, william wu, Eigenray)
   Sherlock Holmes and the Boarded Bugalows
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Sherlock Holmes and the Boarded Bugalows  (Read 511 times)
Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

Sherlock Holmes and the Boarded Bugalows  
« on: Apr 27th, 2003, 7:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

"Capital Luck, Holmes", said Dr. Watson. "Moriarty must not have realized that the forming dew would make his trail so visible. It clearly leads to this set of abandoned bugalows, but not away. He must of holed up in one to get some rest."
"It is too easy, Watson. See how the trails lead to all the bungalows - he has placed alarms in each. As soon as we attempt to search one, he will be alerted by the noise, and if we are not at the right building he will surely escape! Watson, make a map of the trails would you?"
"Certainly! But what will we do? We don't have time to get more help. He'll be gone before we get back. And from these tracks, he could be in any of the bungalows! Who knows how many times he went back and forth between them?"
"Our cause is not so ill as that, Watson! The tall grass hides the direction of his travel, but we can be sure he never backtracked himself. See how when I turn around and head back the way I came, I am unable to avoid widening the trail in the dew. Yet I have not seen any such widening on the trails. In fact - let me see that map. Yes! He can only be in THIS bungalow," said Holmes, stabbing the paper with his finger.
"But how can you know, Holmes?"
"Have you ever been to Konigsberg, Watson?"
"In Germany? Can't say that I have."
"They have some lovely bridges. When this is over we should go there and take a walking tour."

.    .    .   /
    .    .    .  /
A-------B---C---D
|\     /|  / \  |\
| \   / | /   \ | \
|  \ /  |/     \|  \
E---F---G-------N   \
|\     / \     /     \
| \   /   \   /   .   \
|  \ /     \ /    .    \
I---J-------K-----------L
« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2003, 8:03pm by Icarus » IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Eigenray
Uberpuzzler

Re: Sherlock Holmes and the Boarded Bugalows  
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27th, 2003, 8:21pm »

Every bungalow other than the one he starts at (D) and the one he ends up at must have an even degree, since he has to leave once for every time he enters.  Therefore he must be in A.
« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2003, 8:31pm by Eigenray » IP Logged
redPEPPER

« Reply #2 on: Apr 28th, 2003, 6:07am »

OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! OMG!! OMG!!
Dr. Watson said "must of"!  My whole literary world collapses!  Wink
IP Logged
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #3 on: Apr 28th, 2003, 5:23pm »

A little known fact about the life of Dr. Watson, is that during his time in Afghanistan, he was often in the company of an American adventurer. Alas, the good doctor picked up some bad lingual habits from this association. Though he tried in later years to rid himself of these horrid misuses of the Queen's English, they were prone to come out at the most embarrassing of times. Embarassed
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »