wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - What happens inside the black box »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 7:35pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   easy
(Moderators: william wu, towr, Grimbal, Icarus, ThudnBlunder, SMQ, Eigenray)
   What happens inside the black box
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What happens inside the black box  (Read 638 times)
fiziwig

What happens inside the black box  
« on: Jan 10th, 2007, 3:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

You put a number into the black box and another number comes out. Here are some samples:

10 -> 36
11 -> 19
12 -> 48
13 -> 25
14 -> 28
15 -> 15
16 -> 256
17 -> 129
18 -> 132
19 -> 67
20 -> 144
21 -> 73

What is happening inside the black box?
IP Logged
balakrishnan

Re: What happens inside the black box  
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10th, 2007, 3:20pm »

http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A084471
IP Logged
fiziwig

« Reply #2 on: Jan 10th, 2007, 8:57pm »

I thought I made that one up. Hmmmph!

I see a time when answers to every puzzle and riddle can be looked up on the Internet and nobody will have to have any brains to solve them. From that day on riddles will no longer be any fun at all.
IP Logged
Sir Col
Uberpuzzler

impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

« Reply #3 on: Jan 10th, 2007, 11:54pm »

This raises some very interesting questions about what it means to "solve" a puzzle.

On a naïve level there are two types of people: those that solve the puzzle using their native wit and those that "google" the solution. But it is not as simple as that...

Because of the internet the way in which we learn has changed. In particular, through places like this forum we have been exposed to puzzles that we would never have seen anywhere before. Many of those puzzles touch on areas in which we have had no previous experience. I confess on a number of occasions needing to do "research" to get started on a puzzle, simply because I have either forgotten or never learned the concepts before.

However, I believe that it is the way in which we use the internet that marks the difference between those two types: there are those that will use the internet to research the topic and learn the concepts that enable them to get started and eventually solve the puzzle, and there are those that will google the entire solution and will, in some mixed up way, believe that they have "solved" the puzzle.
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2007, 2:23pm by Sir Col » IP Logged

mathschallenge.net / projecteuler.net
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »