wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Harvard Dialect Study »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 1:16pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   general problem-solving / chatting / whatever
(Moderators: Eigenray, SMQ, william wu, towr, Grimbal, Icarus, ThudnBlunder)
   Harvard Dialect Study
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Harvard Dialect Study  (Read 1401 times)
Garzahd

mlahut

Harvard Dialect Study  
« on: Jan 17th, 2003, 5:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm reluctant to toss this in the General section, because I think fewer people will read it than I'd like, but it's not really a puzzle, rather a curiousity item.

Anyway.

With all the recent puzzles about language (olive sheep being the nail in the coffin), I dug up this webpage that's conducting an interesting survey. It asks you for your zip code, then asks all sorts of language questions whose answers may vary depending on where you live (or grew up).

For instance: Do you call carbonated beverages "soda" or "pop" or something else? Do you pronounce the stuff on pancakes sur-up or see-rup? Do you have a special name for the day before Halloween?

Once you take the test, you can see a scatterplot map of how the rest of America answered to each question. (For the lazy, you can go straight to the maps, but clearly no one here is *that* lazy, right?)

Take a look: http://hcs.harvard.edu/~golder/dialect/
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »