wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Another one-and-a-half »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 6:35pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   general problem-solving / chatting / whatever
(Moderators: william wu, Grimbal, SMQ, ThudnBlunder, Icarus, Eigenray, towr)
   Another one-and-a-half
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Another one-and-a-half  (Read 1258 times)
udippel

Another one-and-a-half  
« on: Feb 1st, 2003, 1:34am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This is probably some place in here, but I'm too lazy to read *everything*.

Actually, I have two:

very easy:
Any member of a tribe of fair-haired sees everything as it is and always tells the truth. Any member of a tribe of brown-haired people never sees anything as it is and never tells the truth.
If you show a fair-haired one a green field and ask if it is green, what will he answer? What will the answer of a brown-haired species be?

with the answers of these in mind:
Do we have a chance to find out who's who by asking a question to either of them?

Sorry if this is a repetition. At a certain moment the amount of riddles overwhelms the basic tree-like structure in here !
IP Logged
prince

Re: Another one-and-a-half  
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11th, 2003, 10:50am »

I've never seen this puzzle worded quite this way before, and it seems to leave some uncertainty.  
First, I'll assume we can only ask yes or no questions--if I ask "what color is this (green) field, I could get "yellow" as an answer, and then know it's a brown-haired person.  
Secondly, does brown-hair only affect sight?  The way the puzzle is worded, I could ask "Do you hear this question?"  To which the brown-haired person would have to answer "no".  
If we reword it, so that the brown-haired person never perceives anything as it is, I don't think we can even ask a question.
IP Logged
wowbagger
Uberpuzzler

242002184 242002184    

« Reply #2 on: Feb 12th, 2003, 1:24am »

on Feb 11th, 2003, 10:50am, prince wrote:
if I ask "what color is this (green) field, I could get "yellow" as an answer, and then
know it's a brown-haired person.

The problem arises if you get the answer "green", because it could be given by a member of either tribe.

Quote:
Secondly, does brown-hair only affect sight?  The way the puzzle is worded, I could ask "Do you hear this question?"  To which the brown-haired person would have to answer "no".

Unless the brown-haired person is deaf!  Wink

Quote:
If we reword it, so that the brown-haired person never perceives anything as it is, I don't think we can even ask a question.

This is an important point. I guess the "see" in the problem statement was meant in a broader sense, referring to any kind of perception (excluding ESP, maybe).

In case the brown-haired people understand questions properly, I suggest letting the person look into a mirror and asking them: "Do you have brown hair?"
« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2003, 1:26am by wowbagger » IP Logged

"You're a jerk, <your surname>!"
wowbagger
Uberpuzzler

242002184 242002184    

« Reply #3 on: Feb 12th, 2003, 1:56am »

on Feb 1st, 2003, 1:34am, udippel wrote:
This is probably some place in here, but I'm too lazy to read *everything*.

Let me refer you to the following riddles (at least in parts well-known) and threads, which are related to the one at hand:
Fork in the Road I, thread
Fork in the Road II,
mixed thread for FitR I & II,
Fork in the Road III, thread

Quote:
Sorry if this is a repetition. At a certain moment the amount of riddles overwhelms the basic tree-like structure in here !

I know by experience that the plethora of riddles and threads can be intimidating at first. Take your time to dig into the older posts as well, it's worthwhile!
« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2003, 1:57am by wowbagger » IP Logged

"You're a jerk, <your surname>!"
udippel

« Reply #4 on: Feb 12th, 2003, 9:12am »

Thanks for the hint(s) !
Actually, the fair-haired in the mirror was the one I was missing. The whole thing is the not-not-A = A thing, as is obvious.
I was actually clueless when asked if this is generally true and could only stumble not-too-intelligent things about classical logic and its limits.

With respect to the other thing (overwhelmed), I've tried in vain to come up with better. Not all of us are paid by the government to keep our brains in perfect state, but have to make a living outside of the riddles. And then hundreds of riddles in different categories and thousands of threads are beyond reach.

Is there any literature on 'categorising riddles' ? Maybe someone can still get a PhD for something like this ?!
IP Logged
aero_guy
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 12th, 2003, 7:25pm »

Somebody did.  I believe they reference him in this article.

http://www.nyx.net/~drwalker/ny_riddler.html

Dr of cryptology I think they called it.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »