wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Applications of Egomania »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 5:24am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   general problem-solving / chatting / whatever
(Moderators: SMQ, william wu, ThudnBlunder, towr, Eigenray, Grimbal, Icarus)
   Applications of Egomania
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Applications of Egomania  (Read 286 times)
amichail
Senior Riddler

Applications of Egomania  
« on: Nov 6th, 2005, 2:20am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It seems to me that there are some really fascinating applications of egomania that are somewhat different from the standard ones (e.g., academia, acting, etc.).

Indeed, the whole blogging phenomenon is a great example of what egomania can accomplish.  

But of course, there are lots of other things we can do.

For example, CollaborativeRank (http://collabrank.org) is an attempt at encouraging people to bookmark timely/helpful URLs on del.icio.us by rewarding them with higher rankings and greater influence over others.

I suppose the need to influence others isn't really egomania, but it's probably a related phenomenon.

I think CollaborativeRank is also an interesting example of promotion that takes advantage of egomania.  Del.icio.us users are assigned a rank and areas of expertise.  Since people are curious as to what others are saying about them, they will likely check out CollaborativeRank.  Moreover, since the ranks and areas of expertise change frequently, they will likely check out CollaborativeRank multiple times.  

In any case, I think egomania is a great resource with unlimited potential.  It might be interesting to brainstorm some applications.
« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2005, 2:34pm by amichail » IP Logged

DropZap - a new kind of block elimination game
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »