wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Programming languages of the future »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 2:53pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   general problem-solving / chatting / whatever
(Moderators: SMQ, Grimbal, towr, Icarus, ThudnBlunder, william wu, Eigenray)
   Programming languages of the future
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Programming languages of the future  (Read 2169 times)
amichail
Senior Riddler

Programming languages of the future  
« on: Nov 21st, 2006, 2:44am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It seems to me that as computers get smarter, we will communicate with them using more sophisticated languages, perhaps even using languages that approach English in sophistication.

Such languages would be so complex and so large that they would require quite a lot of effort and time to learn -- perhaps as much as learning a natural language.

For this reason, one might expect one computer language to become dominant for many decades, because it would take too much effort for people to learn other languages.
IP Logged

DropZap - a new kind of block elimination game
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: Programming languages of the future  
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21st, 2006, 4:42am »

I think you're looking at it the wrong way. Computers are supposed to get smart enough to understand what we want. We shouldn't have to learn more complicated ways to make them understand us.
The human imperative is to make the world adapt, not ourselves. Roll Eyes

In the best case computers would simply learn to understand natural language and how to navigate all the ambiguities and pragmatics.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #2 on: Nov 21st, 2006, 4:53am »

on Nov 21st, 2006, 2:44am, amichail wrote:
It seems to me that as computers get smarter, we will communicate with them using more sophisticated languages, perhaps even using languages that approach English in sophistication.

I bet most computers will be controlled via something like a remote control or touchscreen.

Quote:
Such languages would be so complex and so large that they would require quite a lot of effort and time to learn -- perhaps as much as learning a natural language.

For this reason, one might expect one computer language to become dominant for many decades, because it would take too much effort for people to learn other languages.

I think languages will remain simple.  But there will be so many of them, specialized in all kind of applications, that it will be impossible to learn them all.  Complex languages will not be used.  It is already the case.
IP Logged
amichail
Senior Riddler

« Reply #3 on: Nov 21st, 2006, 12:15pm »

on Nov 21st, 2006, 4:42am, towr wrote:
I think you're looking at it the wrong way. Computers are supposed to get smart enough to understand what we want. We shouldn't have to learn more complicated ways to make them understand us.
The human imperative is to make the world adapt, not ourselves. Roll Eyes

In the best case computers would simply learn to understand natural language and how to navigate all the ambiguities and pragmatics.

What about an analogy with mathematics where you replace syntax, semantics, and libraries with math notation, definitions, and theorems?
IP Logged

DropZap - a new kind of block elimination game
Sameer
Uberpuzzler

Pie = pi * e

« Reply #4 on: Nov 21st, 2006, 12:16pm »

I think i can take an example of SQL queries... Let's say you are writing a SQL query to retreive some data.. beneath the application it gets transformed into code that will return you the result... SQL also provides you with something called "english query" where you trpe your query in near English language terms rather than a traditional query.. so we added another layer that will get translated to sql query and so on...  

If you look at language C, it was written in C ... sounds weird doesn't it.. i think as we go on this simple basic blocks would be taken and put to make a simpler language ... so the future is simpler language and not complex... at one point in time ppl may even forget the basic block that made up that language..  

what you are describing is somewhat also AI ... it is not the language that matters but the protocol, interaction or set of rules or logic that will govern the behavior of various blocks in the software ... fuzzy logic comes to mind..
IP Logged

"Obvious" is the most dangerous word in mathematics.
--Bell, Eric Temple

Proof is an idol before which the mathematician tortures himself.
Sir Arthur Eddington, quoted in Bridges to Infinity
Hippo
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #5 on: Mar 14th, 2007, 4:56pm »

It seems to me that programing language will not be so important in the future.  
More important will be the programming environment.

As the computers are faster, the projects are bigger and the robustness of the subprograms is the issue.

Incorporating specification into the programming environment in form of regress tests is the nearest future (isn't it present already).

Techniques allowing to cut code into subcodes where each fit to small number of display screens (optimally 1) are welcomed.  

Code in C languages is compact enough to allow a lot of computation in such a space.  
Of course for work with DB's most of the access can be formulated with SQL like queries where this one statement corresponds to C subroutine hardly fitting to one page.

There will be always codes optimised for time and codes optimised for easy modification ... I can hardly imagine single computer language in the future ...
IP Logged
TenaliRaman
Uberpuzzler

I am no special. I am only passionately curious.

« Reply #6 on: Mar 15th, 2007, 2:37am »

I would like to see the programming languages of the future go the declarative way (with a nice collaboration between relational and functional, all packaged into one). Memory need not be a constraint for us now. Ease of programming should be the focus i believe  Grin.

-- AI
IP Logged

Self discovery comes when a man measures himself against an obstacle - Antoine de Saint Exupery
Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #7 on: Feb 9th, 2012, 6:20am »

on Nov 21st, 2006, 4:53am, Grimbal wrote:
I bet most computers will be controlled via something like a remote control or touchscreen.

I realize the iPhone, the iPad, that was all my idea!   Roll Eyes
IP Logged
JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #8 on: Feb 16th, 2012, 1:41am »

OMG...Jobs must have had that idea from you !!

All hail Grimbal....  Tongue
IP Logged

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
frankrizal

Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 17th, 2012, 1:33am »

on Mar 15th, 2007, 2:37am, TenaliRaman wrote:
I would like to see the programming languages of the future go the declarative way (with a nice collaboration between relational and functional, all packaged into one). Memory need not be a constraint for us now. Ease of programming should be the focus i believe  Grin.

-- AI

I think that is a very good idea. Programming should not be complicated at all.  Grin
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »