wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - A Christmas gift »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 11:43am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   general problem-solving / chatting / whatever
(Moderators: Eigenray, SMQ, Grimbal, Icarus, ThudnBlunder, towr, william wu)
   A Christmas gift
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: A Christmas gift  (Read 2135 times)
Mickey1

A Christmas gift  
« on: Dec 26th, 2011, 6:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

A Manhattan tour guide showed us, all Europeans, proudly a large church and explained how they in our modern times could not afford the splendor of the European cathedrals. In a split second - during the mention of our cathedrals – there was a shadow of shame passing over his face. I felt a naive need to answer, but there was nothing much I could say, except perhaps that they were as much his as ours, since he was of European descent. Nevertheless I here present a recipe for a modern American masterpiece to challenge the church of Saint Peter or the Cité de Carcassonne. Perhaps it is not needed. The skyscrapers, temples of Mammon, could serve as modern equivalents, but I felt they didn’t count as full balance. Another alternative would be the US space mission which is impressive, but I am thinking gestalt here, i.e. structures. Here is the solution to an American manmade wonder in the absence of a feudal, slave economy using a mixture of modern day boredom and patriotism which might be just as effective:

In a populous state such as California, people are persuaded to donate 8 hours of work during a lifetime, in a modern pilgrimage, for the benefit of their state. That supplies the approx. 100 million person-days needed. The input is divided into 3 categories, i) artistic, ii) construction/implementation and iii) managerial. The last component is substantial and divided into various phases a) managing a website and hosting the dialogue process and achieving consensus on a chosen goal and b) managing fundraising and implementation and c) post operation tourism-related activities.

I believe the math on person-days is OK for the Saint Peter’s Church. Perhaps it falls short of the historical input for Great Wall of China, but not if modern technology is included.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »