wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Card Trick (video) »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 9:22pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   general problem-solving / chatting / whatever
(Moderators: ThudnBlunder, Icarus, Eigenray, SMQ, william wu, towr, Grimbal)
   Card Trick (video)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Card Trick (video)  (Read 5511 times)
Benny
Uberpuzzler

Card Trick (video)  
« on: Feb 19th, 2011, 7:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I tried to embed this youtube video, but couldn't.

Could you explain this trick?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS9AN3XwghA

« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2011, 7:59pm by Benny » IP Logged

If we want to understand our world — or how to change it — we must first understand the rational choices that shape it.
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: Card Trick (video)  
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20th, 2011, 11:12am »

Well, for a start cutting the deck just shifts the cycle of cards, but doesn't change the order of the cards in the cycle.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
sherperr

« Reply #2 on: Sep 5th, 2011, 3:35am »

cool trick, no idea why it works but i know there are hundreds of great card tricks that are worked out by mathematics.
IP Logged
Jesse

« Reply #3 on: Feb 2nd, 2012, 3:12pm »

I'm gonna go Blonde on this one. I haven't a clue. But would love ton see more... Fun Fun.
IP Logged
SMQ
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #4 on: Feb 3rd, 2012, 5:56am »

Ignore the cuts (since, as both the video and towr point out, they only change where in the sequence you're starting, and the final intentional cut to an ace removes their effect), and ignore the suits, since they're irrelevant to the trick.

Give each card a value from 0 through 12: ace = 0, two = 1, three = 2, ..., jack = 10, queen = 11, king = 12 (one less than their traditional values).  The starting, sorted deck, then looks like [0, 1, 2, ..., 12, 0, 1, 2, ..., 12, 0, 1, 2, ..., 12, 0, 1, 2, ..., 12].

The effect of the three-shuffle he shows is to multiply the value in each position by 3 (mod 13).  I.e. after the first pre-trick three-shuffle, the deck looks like [0, 3, 6, 9, 12, 2, 5, 8, 11, 1, 4, 7, 10, 0, 3, 6, ...].

The combined effect of the three three-shuffles (one before the trick, and two during), then, is to multiply the value at each position by 33 = 27.  But 27 == 1 (mod 13), so that's an identity transform!  It leaves the suits scrambled (we don't care about that), but the values in their original order.

--SMQ
IP Logged

--SMQ

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »