wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Terminal Velocity »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 7:57am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   general problem-solving / chatting / whatever
(Moderators: william wu, Icarus, SMQ, towr, Grimbal, ThudnBlunder, Eigenray)
   Terminal Velocity
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Terminal Velocity  (Read 439 times)
JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

Terminal Velocity  
« on: Feb 21st, 2007, 5:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Something that had been bugging me for some time, and I guess most of you guys could explain it clearer to me.

Terminal velocity is defined as the constant velocity experienced by a freefalling body. The idea is that as and object free fall, it would start to gain velocity, to a point where it reaches the maximum velocity, and it remains a constant.  

However, according to Newton's 2nd Law ( I think ), the gravitational acceleration for all bodies falling to the earth should be constant, i.e. g ~ 9.8 m/s2. How could that be possible, since at constant velocity, the acceleration is now zero ?
IP Logged

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Uberpuzzler

Sorry Goose, it's time to buzz a tower.

Email

Re: Terminal Velocity  
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21st, 2007, 5:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Were there no atmosphere the acceleration would be a constant 9.8 m/s2.  Since there is atmosphere, there is a drag or resistance against the motion of the object.  This resistance is actually a force working in the opposite direction of the gravitational force.  Terminal velocity describes the speed at which the resistant force, caused by the object's motion through the air, exactly equals the force from gravity.

Equations for Drag and Gravitational Force can be found at these links.  A common exercise (I believe I did it in my third year of High School) is to find a relation between the two and graph the velocity of objects as a function of mass.
IP Logged

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »