wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - why cheating is good for human computation games »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 2:51am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   general problem-solving / chatting / whatever
(Moderators: SMQ, ThudnBlunder, william wu, Grimbal, towr, Eigenray, Icarus)
   why cheating is good for human computation games
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: why cheating is good for human computation games  (Read 616 times)
amichail
Senior Riddler

why cheating is good for human computation games  
« on: Jul 2nd, 2007, 7:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

After reading about Luis' new game for identifying beautiful images, it occurred to me that cheating would enhance human computation games.

The reason being is that cheating adds a new dimension to these games, namely strategy.

So in the game for identifying beautiful images, you can try to get into your partner's head based on the results of previous image pairs.  This adds a new dimension to the game that is missing in the ESP Game.

So instead of combating cheating, why not encourage it explicitly by providing features to help players cheat?  For example, in this beautiful image game, one can show the results of past image pairs while the game is in progress.

Even in the presence of such cheating, one may still get lots of useful data for subjective problems.  In fact, one may get more as the games would have a new dimension to them.
IP Logged

DropZap - a new kind of block elimination game
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: why cheating is good for human computation gam  
« Reply #1 on: Jul 3rd, 2007, 3:41am »

Isn't it the point to eliminate dimensions, rather than add them?

Who's Luis anyway?
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
amichail
Senior Riddler

« Reply #2 on: Jul 3rd, 2007, 6:58am »

on Jul 3rd, 2007, 3:41am, towr wrote:
Isn't it the point to eliminate dimensions, rather than add them?

Who's Luis anyway?

Could you elaborate?

See this article:

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/magazine/15-07/ff_humancomp
IP Logged

Three Hands
Uberpuzzler

Reucserru+Oymai

« Reply #3 on: Jul 3rd, 2007, 7:34am »

I imagine a lot of players already start looking for common themes in the answers of others, in order to synch up and so obtain a higher score, or just show more agreement with the other person, and so validity for their assertions. Whether you consider it "cheating" or not, I think it is more a kind of meta-gaming - playing a game beyond just the game of "matching" the other person's answers.

In any case, it struck me as being very similar to Wittgenstein's "Language Games" - terms gain meanings through agreement within certain circles, rather than through any private understanding - but in different kinds of language. While it follows some sound thinking, I do still have some reservations of just how perfect the agreements are, and how much can be concluded form the results.
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #4 on: Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:33am »

on Jul 3rd, 2007, 6:58am, amichail wrote:
Could you elaborate?
Well, it seems to me that in a classification problem you want to find the relevant features (implictly or explicitly) of what you're classifying, not introduce new components that are irrelevant.
The question is somewhat: do you want a classification of your images, or do you want people communicate through images ignoring the task you set them.

IP Logged

amichail
Senior Riddler

« Reply #5 on: Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:35am »

on Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:33am, towr wrote:

Well, it seems to me that in a classification problem you want to find the relevant features (implictly or explicitly) of what you're classifying, not introduce new components that are irrelevant.
The question is somewhat: do you want a classification of your images, or do you want people communicate through images ignoring the task you set them.

It might be that the loss of precision is worth it because a lot more people find the game fun with cheating added/encouraged.  So you get quite a lot more data.
IP Logged

towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #6 on: Jul 3rd, 2007, 11:36am »

on Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:35am, amichail wrote:
It might be that the loss of precision is worth it because a lot more people find the game fun with cheating added/encouraged.  So you get quite a lot more data.
It is not my experience in playing online games that they get more popular when people cheat; quite the contrary in fact.

If it needs added fun, it should be fun. While preferably not obfuscating the information you're tryign to extract.
IP Logged

amichail
Senior Riddler

« Reply #7 on: Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:03pm »

on Jul 3rd, 2007, 11:36am, towr wrote:

It is not my experience in playing online games that they get more popular when people cheat; quite the contrary in fact.

If it needs added fun, it should be fun. While preferably not obfuscating the information you're tryign to extract.

It's not cheating if it is part of the game.  

From a player's perspective, the information being extracted is irrelevant.  They are not playing the game to help you.

The question here is whether this variation I proposed is worth exploring.  It seems like it would be fun to get into other people's heads.
IP Logged

towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #8 on: Jul 4th, 2007, 1:35am »

on Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:03pm, amichail wrote:
It's not cheating if it is part of the game.  
Then you named this thread badly.
However, I would say it is cheating if the players consider it cheating. If the game nevertheless allows it, it is unbalanced or flawed.

Quote:
From a player's perspective, the information being extracted is irrelevant.  They are not playing the game to help you.
They are playing the game to help you, they just might not know it. The game should be designed such that they want to act in the game in such a way that overall they help you the most (as a group).

Quote:
The question here is whether this variation I proposed is worth exploring.  It seems like it would be fun to get into other people's heads.
Well, there's only really one way to find out; and that's by exploring it.
« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2007, 1:42am by towr » IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »