wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Worldcup 2014 »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 7:24pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   general problem-solving / chatting / whatever
(Moderators: william wu, Eigenray, Icarus, SMQ, Grimbal, towr, ThudnBlunder)
   Worldcup 2014
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Worldcup 2014  (Read 2586 times)
4nh13

Worldcup 2014  
« on: Jun 24th, 2014, 3:46am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The tournament's in progress. Which country you think will be the champion?
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: Worldcup 2014  
« Reply #1 on: Jun 24th, 2014, 9:08am »

I hope the whole effing world cup explodes in a great ball of fire, along with everything that goes with it, so that I'll never have to suffer its existence ever again.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
dudiobugtron
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #2 on: Jun 24th, 2014, 6:01pm »

Unlike most sports games, soccer doesn't have any weird score possibilities or strange rules that allow for interesting riddles or maths problems!

Soccer balls, on the other hand, are another kettle of fish. And that's without even thinking about all the possible (and often even more fun) physics problems. Smiley
IP Logged
JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #3 on: Jun 29th, 2014, 7:29pm »

on Jun 24th, 2014, 9:08am, towr wrote:
I hope the whole effing world cup explodes in a great ball of fire, along with everything that goes with it, so that I'll never have to suffer its existence ever again.

Eh ? I thought your country is doing well so far. Any particular reason for this obvious distaste?

on Jun 24th, 2014, 6:01pm, dudiobugtron wrote:
Unlike most sports games, soccer doesn't have any weird score possibilities or strange rules that allow for interesting riddles or maths problems!

Well, there's always probabilities. And given the number of upsets so far, it should be interesting to map out the chances of each participating nation to win.
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2014, 7:30pm by JiNbOtAk » IP Logged

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
towr
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #4 on: Jun 29th, 2014, 10:36pm »

on Jun 29th, 2014, 7:29pm, JiNbOtAk wrote:
Eh ? I thought your country is doing well so far. Any particular reason for this obvious distaste?
I don't like football (or sports in general). Which in itself, you might think, is no reason to hate it. However, the attention the world (and this country in particular) lavishes on football goes at the cost of everything else, and that irks me to no end.  
For example, after working all day I like to get home and watch the six o'clock news; but now, not only is the news not on the channel it's usually on - because it's been pushed aside by effing football - it's not even at six o'clock because the channel it's moved to is also airing football and the bastards have seen fit to move it to an earlier time when I can't watch it.
You can bet that if the whole world cup goes up in a big ball of fiery death, I can at least enjoy my six o'clock news again; heck it'd be 24-hour coverage, probably.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
dudiobugtron
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #5 on: Jun 30th, 2014, 12:17am »

on Jun 29th, 2014, 7:29pm, JiNbOtAk wrote:
Well, there's always probabilities. And given the number of upsets so far, it should be interesting to map out the chances of each participating nation to win.

Indeed; in fact there is a whole industry dedicated to working out these sorts of chances, which I had entirely overlooked. Coming up with a more efficient prediction algorithm (cf: moneyball) could make you a lot of money.
IP Logged
rloginunix
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #6 on: Jun 30th, 2014, 8:29am »

In an attempt to cheer towr up please look for "A Heated Debate" in the easy section.
IP Logged
Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #7 on: Jul 2nd, 2014, 6:23am »

I have the same feeling with the Tour de France (France's big bicycle race) and the Olympic Games.
The event is aired in direct the whole afternoon with extensive comments and analysis and replays of the "important" happenings.  Then they make an interruption for the news (that are not moved).  But the news start with 1/2 hour summarizing the very same sports event.
IP Logged
rloginunix
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #8 on: Jul 2nd, 2014, 9:22am »

In an attempt to cheer up Grimbal please look for "Straight Circles" (since bicycles were mentioned) in the easy section.
IP Logged
wakiza33

industrial Engineer // Berkeley Alumnus

« Reply #9 on: Sep 16th, 2014, 9:37am »

As an interesting tidbit about the World Cup--I have friends in Argentina.  

They seem to take Messi for granted. Most people are very upset at him still. Quite perplexing, to me. Their love of Maradona blinds them to the greatness they have.
IP Logged

Binder Jetting Engineer
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »