wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - NEW PROBLEM:  The Gods of Gibberland »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 25th, 2024, 5:09pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   hard
(Moderators: Icarus, towr, william wu, Eigenray, ThudnBlunder, SMQ, Grimbal)
   NEW PROBLEM:  The Gods of Gibberland
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: NEW PROBLEM:  The Gods of Gibberland  (Read 18331 times)
temporary

Re: NEW PROBLEM:  The Gods of Gibberland  
« Reply #100 on: Mar 27th, 2008, 7:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Aug 9th, 2002, 11:41am, Eric Yeh wrote:
Sir Drake:

First, many thanks for your enthusiasm on my puzzle!!!  I very much appreciate it!!!!!  Smiley  Did you also solve my last one?  Smiley

Now, if you really want my help, here's a clue to the first mistake in your reasoning:

You cannot waste an entire question to determine tha language; it will not leave you with enough discriminating power.

Good luck!!!
Eric

Yes it will, and it is required. You need 1 question for the language, and 2 for the "discriminating" which determines the 3 of them with process of elimination. Just like with the 3 ghosts where 1 lies, 1 truths, and 1 is random, you use 1 question to make sure you aren't asking the random 1 next.
IP Logged

My goal is to find what my goal is, once I find what my goal is, my goal will be complete.
Eric Yeh
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #101 on: Apr 7th, 2008, 6:07pm »

depends on what you mean for the language then.  if the first q tells you "a little more than" just the language, then it is possible.  but if not, two questions is not enough to discriminate btwn all three.  two questions gives 2^2 = 4 possible answers, but there are 3! = 6 permutations of the gods.
IP Logged

"It is better to have puzzled and failed than never to have puzzled at all."
i_kvikrant

« Reply #102 on: Jan 19th, 2012, 9:47am »

Sorry for being a late poster on such an old thread.
This is one of the best puzzle I have ever seen.
I came across this riddle on the page where other such riddles are posted , i.e on  
http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~wwu/riddles/hard.shtml

Quote:
There are three omniscient gods sitting in a chamber: GibberKnight, GibberKnave, and GibberKnexus, the gods of the knights, knaves, and knexuses of Gibberland. Knights always answer the truth, knaves always lie, and knexuses always answer the XOR of what the knight and knave would answer.

Unfortunately, the language spoken in Gibberland is so unintelligible that not only do you not know which words correspond to "yes" and "no", but you don't even know what the two words that represent them are! All you know is that there is only one word for each.

With only three questions, determine which god is which.

Note 1: What follows are standard rules that are generally assumed unless otherwise noted. The gods only answer yes/no questions. Each god answers in the single word of their language as appropriate to the question; i.e. each god always gives one of only two possible responses, one affirmative and one negative (e.g. they would always answer "Yes" rather than "That would be true"). Each question asked must be addressed to a single specific god; asking one question to all the gods would constitute three questions. Asking a single god multiple questions is permissible. The question you choose to ask and the god you choose to address may be dynamically chosen based on the answers to previous questions. No self-referential questions (e.g. "is this question true iff ...").

Note 2: Because of possible loop conflicts, you may not ask any questions regarding how a knexus would answer.

I am having trouble understanding what is meant by  
" No self-referential questions (e.g. "is this question true iff ..."

Is the puzzle being discussed in the present thread subtly different from the one on the riddles website?
Because, in this thread people seem to have used iff questions to solve the puzzle. Right ?
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #103 on: Jan 19th, 2012, 10:13am »

Self-referential means that the question refers back to itself, not that it uses iff.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »