wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Path to the Castle »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 4:41am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   hard
(Moderators: Grimbal, towr, william wu, Icarus, ThudnBlunder, Eigenray, SMQ)
   Path to the Castle
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Path to the Castle  (Read 642 times)
Vernon Castle Tyler III

Email

Path to the Castle  
« on: Feb 20th, 2004, 2:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

You are in a maze and you come to a wall with 2 doors and you must choose witch one leads to the end of the maze.
On door one their is a top and a bottom living creature; and on door number two their is a top and bottom living creature as well. The two bottom creatures say to you that you may ask only one question to one of the top creatures, but be warned that one of them always tells the truth and the other one always lies. Now witch question should you ask to get the door that leads to the end of the maze?
btw-1. You may not ask the bottom creatures any questions.
btw-2. Your question can not have 2 questions.
IP Logged
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

Re: Path to the Castle  
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20th, 2004, 4:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It doesn't matter what I pick, Jareth has the whole thing rigged from the start, but as long as I refuse to give up he has to let me win in the end.

"Through dangers untold and hardships unnumbered, I have fought my way here to the castle beyond the goblin city, for my will is as strong as yours, and my kingdom as great. You have no power over me." - Labyrinth

Otherwise, the Fork In The Road riddles already cover this one and several variants (using the Forum search facility or manually looking at old threads in the Hard forum should turn most of them up)

[e]fixed link[/e]
« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2004, 7:24am by rmsgrey » IP Logged
Earendil

7195044 7195044    

« Reply #2 on: Mar 11th, 2004, 7:44am »

Is it possible to solve this problem not knowing if the bottom creatures lie or not? Cheesy~
IP Logged
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #3 on: Mar 15th, 2004, 4:47pm »

If the bottom creatures are telling the truth or lying does not matter. (I think)  

The question you ask the top creatures must give you the same answer whether the creature lies or does not lie.  

So, if the bottom creatures are lying, then what? Both top creatures tell the truth? both top creatures lie? the top creatures will answer more than one question? The top creatures will answer not questions.  

Maybe you should ask the bottom creatures which door to take.
IP Logged

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. <Ben Franklin>
BNC
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #4 on: Mar 15th, 2004, 11:52pm »

But if the bottom-creatured are lying, it may be that the top-creatures are neither true-tellers nor lie-tellers. Rather, they may "regular" creatures that tell whatever they like, be it true or false.
IP Logged

How about supercalifragilisticexpialidociouspuzzler [Towr, 2007]
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #5 on: Mar 16th, 2004, 12:12am »

What kind of limits does that give us? If all the creatures speak with variable truth values, then what can we do? Are they also lying about how many questions we can ask?  

If you tell me which door leads out, then I will use my magic power to free you from your door-prison and you can join me in my quest for the Holy Pail.  Roll Eyes

(I am lying about my magic powers, but they don't know that)
IP Logged

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. <Ben Franklin>
Earendil

7195044 7195044    

« Reply #6 on: Mar 16th, 2004, 10:10am »

haha, yeah, didnt make much sense Tongue I was just looking for somethjing wich could make this problem different from the other one
IP Logged
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #7 on: Mar 16th, 2004, 5:20pm »

Maybe you could do something like; One of the bottom dwelling creatures always lies and one always tells the truth.  

You are allowed to ask them one question.  

The top dwelling creatures will lie if the bottom creature tells the truth. Also, if the bottom creature tells a lie, the top creature will tell the truth.  

You can ask them one question.  

So, you get a total of two questions. But, there needs to be something more. What do you think?
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »