wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Eliptic Curve! »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 6:05am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   hard
(Moderators: william wu, towr, SMQ, Grimbal, Icarus, ThudnBlunder, Eigenray)
   Eliptic Curve!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Eliptic Curve!  (Read 582 times)
Earendil

7195044 7195044    

Eliptic Curve!  
« on: Mar 10th, 2004, 3:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Prove that 26 is the only natural number between a square (25) and a cube(27).

PS: Thx Sir Col for reminding me it is a natural number and not a integer
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2004, 5:26pm by Earendil » IP Logged
Sir Col
Uberpuzzler

impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

Re: Eliptic Curve!  
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10th, 2004, 4:46pm »

You obviously didn't mean x2=y3+2, otherwise 12=(-1)3+2 would be a solution too; that is, 0 is between the square, 1, and the cube, -1.

I know very little about generlisations regarding elliptic curves, but I know we're trying to prove that x2=y3–2 has one solution; namely, 52=33–2. I believe they're called Mordell curves?

I look forward to seeing how we solve these Diophantine equations...
IP Logged

mathschallenge.net / projecteuler.net
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #2 on: Mar 13th, 2004, 5:29am »

[smiley=blacksquare.gif]
Rewrite the equation as follows: y3 = x2 + 2. The idea is to factorize the RHS of this equation. Obviously, it’s not possible in [bbn], but it is possible in the ring R = [bbn][[sqrt](-2)], and – fortunately – the factorization is unique (see some discussion on this in y^2 = x^3 – 432 thread. There, we have (w stands for [sqrt](-2)): y3 = (x+w)(x-w).  

The next step is to show that x+w, x-w are relatively prime in R. Let d = gcd(x+w, x-w), then d divides (x+w)-(x-w) = 2w = -w3. Since w is, of course, prime in R, d must be equal to one of 1, w, w2, w3. If d = w2, then x+w = w2(a+bw) = -2a – 2bw, which is impossible. The case d = w3 is excluded similarly. d = w is a bit harder: in this case, (x+w)(x-w) = w2d’, but this cannot be because it should be a cube of some number. So, d=1.

It follows then that both x+w and x-w are perfect cubes in R. Let x+w  = (a+bw)3, a,b [in] [bbz]. Expanding and simplifying, we get: a3-6ab2 = x, 3a2b-2b3 = 1. Last equation factors (3a2-2b2)b = 1, which has the only solution a=1, b=1.

This proves the uniqueness of the solution.
[smiley=blacksquare.gif]

This proof was originally proposed by... Euler.

« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2004, 5:32am by Barukh » IP Logged
Sir Col
Uberpuzzler

impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

« Reply #3 on: Mar 13th, 2004, 9:47am »

I have the memory of a goldfish! When trying to solve NickH's problem I practised the method on exactly that equation!  Embarassed

When I saw the title of the thread my mind went numb because I don't know much about elliptic curves, so I didn't contemplate for one moment that I knew how to solve it. Grr!
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2004, 9:49am by Sir Col » IP Logged

mathschallenge.net / projecteuler.net
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »