wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - 100 paintings »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 9:34pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   hard
(Moderators: towr, SMQ, Grimbal, william wu, Eigenray, Icarus, ThudnBlunder)
   100 paintings
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 100 paintings  (Read 3046 times)
spanchap

Suresh

100 paintings  
« on: Mar 22nd, 2007, 10:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

There are 100 sculptures stored in 100 rooms. The scupltures are stored randomly - the best sculpture could be in any one of the 100 rooms.  

You get to evaluate the sculptures beginning from room # 1 and walking thru successive rooms till you reach room #100. You are an expert in evaluating sculptures and are able to determine the relative rank of all sculptures in rooms 1 thru n when you have visited the first n rooms.  Also, you know that no two sculptures have the same rank.

When you visit any given room , say room # p, you can declare that the sculpture in room p is the best sculpture among the 100 sculptures.  

Once you have moved past a room, you do not get credit for declaring the sculpture in that room to be the best even though you might reach that conclusion after visiting the subsequent rooms.

What is your strategy to find the best sculpture if you get only one chance to go thru the 100 rooms?

What is your strategy to find the best sculpture if you get to do this exercise many times (say at different museums with different set of sculptures)?
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: 100 paintings  
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 2:13am »

This problem is also on the site as "bachelor dilemma", I think. And possible under a few other guises.
The result is well-known enough; proving it (at least for general N, rather than just 100) is quite a task though, if memory serves me right.

We've also considered the case were you know the distribution of value in one thread.
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2007, 2:24am by towr » IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
spanchap

Suresh

« Reply #2 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 7:23am »

Thanks for letting me know that this puzzle has already been discussed.  I will check that out. BTW, the solution is deceptively simple.

-Suresh
IP Logged
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Uberpuzzler

Sorry Goose, it's time to buzz a tower.

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 7:56am »

Here's a link in case the search function proves too fickle.
IP Logged

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei
spanchap

Suresh

« Reply #4 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 2:19pm »

Please see the below link to the bachelor problem for a solution not discussed till now

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~wwu/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=riddles_har d;action=display;num=1028246833;start=23#23
IP Logged
SWF
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #5 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 6:21pm »

Why is the subject of this "100 paintings" when there are 100 sculptures?
IP Logged
spanchap

Suresh

« Reply #6 on: Mar 23rd, 2007, 6:52pm »

My bad. Should have been 100 sculptures.  

I guess I was unconsciously giving somebody an opportunity to correct me. Now I wonder what that says about me...
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »