wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Solder Cube »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 5:47pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   medium
(Moderators: Eigenray, towr, Grimbal, ThudnBlunder, SMQ, Icarus, william wu)
   Solder Cube
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Solder Cube  (Read 5678 times)
jkemp

Email

Solder Cube  
« on: Jul 31st, 2002, 9:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

"Say you have some bendable wires (any number, any length). What is the minimum number of solder connections needed to make a cube? Prove it. Also, what is the minimum number of wires necessary? Prove it."

I think I need more info, because why not make such a cube out of a single wire, with no solder connections? Assuming the wire will keep its shape after bending, and that the wire can bend back on itself.
 Wink
IP Logged
otter

Re: Solder Cube  
« Reply #1 on: Aug 8th, 2002, 7:30am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

>  Say you have some bendable wires (any number, any length). What is the minimum number  
>  of solder connections needed to make a cube? Prove it. Also, what is the minimum number  
>  of wires necessary? Prove it.

Two wires, 4 solder joints.

I'm assuming here that a solder joint is only required to connect separate wires, not to connect a single wire to itself.  (If this is not the case then 8 solder joints are required).

Since each of the six corners has an odd number of vertices, Euler's theorem dictates that the cube cannot be constructed with a single wire.  However, two sets of two faces each can be constructed, each from a single wire (thus 2 wires).  The faces are at right angles to each other.  This gives you 4 faces of the cube (unassembled).  When soldered at the 4 corners to form a cube, the remaining two faces of the cube are formed automatically.
IP Logged

We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started
and know the place for the first time.
T.S. Eliot
otter

« Reply #2 on: Aug 8th, 2002, 7:55am »

Oops!  My bad.  This construct gives two vertices that contain 2 wires.  Looks like 4 wires and 3 solder joints is the best bet.

on Aug 8th, 2002, 7:30am, otter wrote:
>  Say you have some bendable wires (any number, any length). What is the minimum number  
>  of solder connections needed to make a cube? Prove it. Also, what is the minimum number  
>  of wires necessary? Prove it.

Two wires, 4 solder joints.

I'm assuming here that a solder joint is only required to connect separate wires, not to connect a single wire to itself.  (If this is not the case then 8 solder joints are required).

Since each of the six corners has an odd number of vertices, Euler's theorem dictates that the cube cannot be constructed with a single wire.  However, two sets of two faces each can be constructed, each from a single wire (thus 2 wires).  The faces are at right angles to each other.  This gives you 4 faces of the cube (unassembled).  When soldered at the 4 corners to form a cube, the remaining two faces of the cube are formed automatically.
IP Logged

We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started
and know the place for the first time.
T.S. Eliot
Dan A.

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 23rd, 2002, 2:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I think one wire should be sufficient to build your cube, with no overlapping edges.  Of course, this requires that diagonals are allowed.

Let's define the verticies of a cube to be the following (please, oh please let them be using a fixed-width font):

5------6
 /|     /|
1------2 |
| |    | |
| 7----|-8
|/     |/
3------4

If you connect the verticies together in the following order:
1->2->4->3->1->5->6->8->7->5->2->6->4->8->3->7  
you end up with a cube.  Yes, you'll have diagonals on faces (1,2,6,5), (2,4,8,6), and (3,4,8,7) but that doesn't change the fact that it is a cube. Smiley  Is it possible to do this in less than 15 line segments?  As for the proof, I challenge anyone out there to construct a cube out of zero wires!

This cube, and all others, will require 8 solder joints.  You'll notice that three segments connect at each of the 8 verticies.  By bending a wire, you can make two segments without a solder joint, but three is impossible.  Thus, at a minimum you will need one solder joint per vertex.

(I don't know how others are approaching the problem, but I was visualizing it as attempting to draw a cube without picking up your pencil.  Each time you pick up your pencil, that's another wire that's needed.)

Standard disclaimers concerning question interpretation apply.
DSA
IP Logged
Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #4 on: Oct 17th, 2002, 8:06pm »

My interpretation of the problem was that each edge of the cube can be formed by a single wire (no back tracking or allowing a second wire to take the same path), and wires can only follow the edges of the cube. Also, whenever a wire ends at a vertex, you will need a solder joint there to hold it solid.

Given those conditions: since each vertex is the meeting of 3 edges, one wire has to end there, so all eight vertices require a solder joint. Also this gives you a minimum of 8 wire ends, so at least 4 wires are required.

Running one wire around the top, down a side edge, then around the bottom, and using the other 3 wires to make the remaining three edges, shows that the minimum is obtainable.

So, given this interpretation of the problem, the optimum is 4 wires and 8 joints.

If you allow diagonals, but require rigid joints, then you get Dan A.'s solution of 1 wire and 8 joints. (15 segments is the absolute minimum.)

If you allow loose joints (soldering necessary only to hold separate wires together), but no diagonals or doubling of edges, then 4 wires are required, as in the strict case. But with 4 wires, there are only 8 wire ends, so each vertex must consist of 1 wire "passing through" and one wire end. Thus any joint can only join two wires, and a minimum of 3 solder joints are needed to unite all 4 wires, as Otter states.

If you allow both diagonals (or doubled edges) and loose joints, then obviously you need only 1 wire and no joints.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »