wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Prisoner dilemma redux »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 12:09am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   medium
(Moderators: ThudnBlunder, william wu, towr, SMQ, Icarus, Grimbal, Eigenray)
   Prisoner dilemma redux
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Prisoner dilemma redux  (Read 4822 times)
wowbagger
Uberpuzzler

242002184 242002184    

Prisoner dilemma redux  
« on: Sep 27th, 2002, 4:08am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Just in case someone wants to compare his/her answer, here's my straigthforwardly calculated result:
You are indifferent to confessing and not confessing at
    p = 11 / 21 = 0.5238...

(Couldn't find a thread on this one, sorry if I missed it)
IP Logged

"You're a jerk, <your surname>!"
Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

Re: Prisoner dilemma redux  
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17th, 2002, 5:17pm »

Obviously, I am missing something here. If you do not confess your expected sentence is 3+17p ("expected" in the statistical sense). If you do confess, your expected sentence is 10p. If your first priority is to minimize your jail time, why would you not confess for any value of p?

Can someone point me back in the right direction?
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Chronos

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 17th, 2002, 6:17pm »

You can't calculate an "expected" sentence without knowing the probabilities for what the other prisoner will say, and you shouldn't just assume that he'll choose randomly.

The idea in game theory (the branch of mathematics which deals with problems such as this) is that you assume that your "opponent" will use the optimal strategy, and based on that assumption, determine what your optimal strategy is.
IP Logged
rugga

« Reply #3 on: Oct 19th, 2002, 10:12am »

You are right in general, Chronos.  But the statement of the "redux" problem explicitly says
Quote:
You assume the probability of your partner confessing is p. ... At what value of p are you indifferent to confessing and not confessing?

I agree with Icarus that with that assumption (partner confesses according to some fixed probability) it can't make sense to not confess.  I wasn't too sure what the point of this problem was when I first saw it, but I'm guessing it's just to show how a seemingly straightforward analysis can lead to an incomplete (at best) solution.  And of course that's what makes the prisoner's delimma so much fun!
IP Logged
Garzahd

mlahut

« Reply #4 on: Oct 21st, 2002, 4:38pm »

I like game theory. To heck with paper, I want to try solving this in the message composition window.

C. . .NC
 C 10/10  0/20
NC 20/0   3/3
The C/NC on the left are the options if you confess; the C/NC on the top represents your buddy's confession status. The outcomes are listed as my time / his time.

So the expected jail times if I confess are 10p for me and (10p+20(1-p))=20-10p for him.
If I keep my mouth shut, the expected jail times are (20p+3(1-p))=3+17p for me and 3-3p for him.

Since we're indifferent between x years for me and 2x for him, then let's define "hassle" as my jail time plus half his jail time. Therefore the hassle of both C and NC cases must be equal in order for me to not care which I pick.

In the C case, the total hassle is 10p + (20-10p)/2 = 10+5p.
In the NC case, the total hassle is 3+17p + (3-3p)/2 = 4.5+15.5p.

If 10+5p=4.5+15.5p, then 5.5=10.5p, or p=11/21. Yay.
IP Logged
wowbagger
Uberpuzzler

242002184 242002184    

« Reply #5 on: Oct 22nd, 2002, 3:56am »

Garzahd:
That's exactly how I came up with my answer. Nice description. Smiley

Rugga:
Maybe we interpret the fragment of the problem statement you quoted differently.
on Oct 19th, 2002, 10:12am, rugga wrote:
I agree with Icarus that with that assumption (partner confesses according to some fixed probability) it can't make sense to not confess.

I don't think the partner makes a random decision by flipping a coin or rolling a dice or whatever. It is you who assumes a certain probability that your partner will confess. Still, it's his deliberate, wilful decision.

As for your doubt whether it could be sensible to not confess: Look at Garzahd's "hassle" in a case with p < 11/21.
The vital ingredient is of course the quantitative relation that you are
Quote:
indifferent to you serving x years and your partner serving 2x years.
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2002, 3:57am by wowbagger » IP Logged

"You're a jerk, <your surname>!"
rugga

« Reply #6 on: Oct 22nd, 2002, 7:43am »

I see.  I have to admit I ignored the "indifferent" statement because I didn't think it was important.  I read "highest priority is to keep yourself out of the pokey" and took that to mean I wanted to minimize my jail time above all else.  That's enough to come up with an answer so I just ignored the rest.  I'm sure your interpretation is right.
IP Logged
Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #7 on: Oct 22nd, 2002, 4:53pm »

I didn't ignore the indifference clause, myself. I was just having trouble coming up with a good interpretation of it. The "hassle" interpretation is certainly reasonable, but I have not completely convinced myself yet that it does not assume information not given in the problem. (Three "not"s in one sentence. It's no wonder I'm confused! Tongue) I'll have to think about it some more. Thanks for the help!
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »