wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Impatient Patients »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 13th, 2024, 1:48pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   medium
(Moderators: william wu, Grimbal, towr, ThudnBlunder, Icarus, SMQ, Eigenray)
   Impatient Patients
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Impatient Patients  (Read 1601 times)
Frost

Email

Impatient Patients  
« on: Jul 30th, 2002, 9:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Impatient Patients

All patients at the d'Oralian National Hospital require constant care. At least one nurse must be beside a patient's bed at any time and a nurse can only care for one patient simultaniously.  

The nurses won't work more that eight hours within any 24 hour period, but don't care when their shift starts. Their shifts look like this: work five hours, one hour break, work another three hours.

How many nurses do you need for one patient?
How many nurses do you need for n patients?
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2003, 7:57pm by Icarus » IP Logged
william wu
wu::riddles Administrator

Re: NEW puzzle: Impatient Patients  
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30th, 2002, 6:23pm »

Maybe my question is stupid, but do the nurses have to be there each day in contiguous 9 hour blocks? Or can I break up their work distribution?  

For instance, for one patient, nurse A works for the first 5 hours, then takes a break. Then nurse B takes over for one hour during the break.  

Then nurse A resumes for another 3 hours. But during these 3 hours, what is nurse B doing? Does she have to be considered "working" since the labor blocks are contiguous and her block has already started? Or can nurse B just be considered idle, so that when nurse A is finished, we'll still have 7 hours of labor + 1 hour of rest on reserve in nurse B?
IP Logged

[ wu ] : http://wuriddles.com / http://forums.wuriddles.com
Eric Yeh
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 1st, 2002, 9:06pm »

Sorry Will, I believe once she has started she must continue on as planned -- it's like a tiling problem.

Frost:  Nice problem!  Without giving away the particulars of the solution, here is what I've come up with so far as far as numbers:

n f(n) = required nurses
-- -------------------------
 0 0
 1 4
 2 8
 3 10
 4 14
 5 18
 6 20
 7 24
>8 24*(n div 8) + f(n mod 8)

I'm a little leary of 7 -- I'm guessing it should be 22 but I couldn't find the soln and am a bit tired for now.

How'm I doing?

Thanks,
Eric
IP Logged

"It is better to have puzzled and failed than never to have puzzled at all."
snags697

Mad Physicist

« Reply #3 on: Aug 8th, 2002, 8:50am »

I managed to find a solution for 2 patients with only 7 nurses.  Start the nurses' shifts at 0:00, 1:00, 3:00, 10:00, 12:00, 15:00, and 20:00.  It covers both patients at all hours.  It's a little counter-intuitive, because 2 hours are covered by 4 nurses, but it works.

As far as explaining my method, I just used a spreadsheet with a column for each nurse and a row for each hour.  I moved blocks of 1's and 0's around to represent each shift, and watched the total hours for each row until I managed to get them all >= 2.  I'm sure there's a better method.

IP Logged
Eric Yeh
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 8th, 2002, 1:08pm »

Ye, sorry, I made a mistake -- too lazy.    Tongue

Basically I concentrated on the two problems of 1) solving for 1 and 2) finding the first perfect, which I believe occurs at 8.  The intermediate values were just kinda plodding about looking for decent fits.

So Will, should I take your downgrading of this problem to medium to mean that you know the full soln?  I agree that certainly the CS soln is not too hard, but a good mathematical soln hasnt yet crossed my mind.

Also, is this really an original problem?  I thought that I had read it before, or at least similar tiling problems.

Best,
Eric
IP Logged

rugga

« Reply #5 on: Sep 9th, 2002, 3:46am »

Eric, is there a way to prove your formula for n>=8:
  f(n) = 24*(n div 8) + f(n mod 8)

What I mean is, I see that 8 patients can be done with 24 nurses, and I see that less than 8 patients require some wastage.  But might it be possible that for larger numbers of patients I could be especially clever and be even more efficient?  For example maybe I can do 17 patients with exactly 51 nurses by throwing out the 8-patient "tiling" and doing something ad hoc.
  Can it be proven that the optimal solution is always to copy the 8-patient solution as much as possible and then "mop up" what remains?  Is this just obvious?  Is there some deeper principle here I'm missing?
IP Logged
Eric Yeh
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #6 on: Sep 9th, 2002, 5:46am »

Rugga,

Nope:  Every nurse works 8 hrs, and each patient needs 24 nurse-hours of care, so the min is always 3n nurses.  In other words, the 8 patient tiling is already "perfect", so no improvement can be made.

Best,
Eric
IP Logged

rugga

« Reply #7 on: Sep 10th, 2002, 11:56pm »

I understand that 3n is a lower bound.  My question is: when the number of patients isn't a multiple of 8, can one do better than
24 (n div 8)  +  f(n mod 8)?

Given that 1 patient requires 4 nurses.  Can you prove that 8n+1 patients always requires 24n + 4 nurses instead of 24n + 3?  Just because the tiling solution perfectly solves 8n patients doesn't imply that the optimal solution for 8n+1 (for any n) patients necessarily includes that 8n solution as a subsolution, does it?

Sorry if my question seems dense, but it seems nonobvious to me.  Thanks for your response.

-Mark
IP Logged
Eric Yeh
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 11th, 2002, 6:50am »

No, you're right -- I obviously didn't spend enough time thinking about this one.  Apologies for misunderstanding your previous msg.

Best,
Eric
IP Logged

MAT

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jun 4th, 2003, 6:40am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Since all scheduled hours of 24 nurses are used by 8 patients there are no spare hours left to reduce the number of nurses used by additional patients. This means that the number of required nurses will always be equal to:

3n (if n mod 8 = 0)
or
3n + 1 (if n mod 8 > 0)

ps. Here is the fixed table for f(n):

number of patients n/needed nurses f(n)/spare hours/starting hour every nurse
1/4/8/0;3;12;15
2/7/8/0;1;3;10;12;15;20
3/10/8/0;1;3;4;10;12;13;15;20;21  
4/13/8/0;1;2;4;7;9;11;12;14;15;17;20;22
5/16/8/0;1;2;3;5;6;8;9;11;12;14;16;17;19;20;21
6/19/8/0;1;2;3;4;5;7;8;10;11;12;13;14;16;17;19;20;21;22
7/22/8/0;1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9;10;11;12;13;15;16;17;18;19;20;21;22
8/24/8/0;1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9;10;11;12;13;14;15;16;17;18;19;20;21;22;23
IP Logged
Eric Yeh
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jun 4th, 2003, 7:34am »

MAT,

I agree that every 8n+x most likely requires n of the perfect tilings, but we have not given a rigorous proof.  There's no obvious reason that, for example, 87 = 10*8+7 patients might not be tiled with one less than 10*24+22 nurses -- through the use of some clever tilings not utilizing the perfect 24's all the way through.

(BTW, I think you forgot to update the wasted hours column.)

Best,
Eric
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »