wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Globe Traversal »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 2:41am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   medium
(Moderators: SMQ, Eigenray, Grimbal, ThudnBlunder, towr, Icarus, william wu)
   Globe Traversal
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Globe Traversal  (Read 3381 times)
Charon

Globe Traversal  
« on: Aug 6th, 2002, 11:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have been able to come up with one solution that would really allow an infinite amount of positions allong specific latitude's

Remember  
Radius: r
Diameter: d
Circumference: C

C = 2 Pi r = Pi d

So if C= 1(miles) then r = 0.15915.......(miles)

If you were to stand 1 + r(miles) from the south pole then walk south 1 mile you would be r(miles) from the pole and if you were to travel one mile west you would completely circle the south pole once and end up at the same position. You can now travel one mile north to your starting point.
You can allso divide r by 2 giving you r= 0.079577.....
and you would have to circle the south pole twice while traveling west. You can continue to find values for r that will allow you to circle the south pole and end up in the same position to travel north from. Giving you plenty of points to start on specific latitude's that will allow you to finish where you began.

Are there any other solutions or a flaw in my own ?
IP Logged

Email

Re: Globe Traversal  
« Reply #1 on: Aug 8th, 2002, 1:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Add the obvious choice: Start at the North Pole

1 mile south + any amount west + 1 mile north, and you are back where you started
IP Logged
Mungbeam

Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 2nd, 2002, 4:18pm »

Hmm...  my only complaint is that it's not obvious that walking a mile west on the south pole means you end up in the same place.

What I mean is, if I'm at the south pole, I check my compass, find west, take a step.  West now changes, so I adjust direction, and take another step.  I'm going round in circles, but it's not obvious that I'll face the same direction I came from... and all directions are north at the south pole, so I could quite easily walk south 1 mile, do a little circuit around the pole, and start north up the opposite side of the globe.

Then again, it's still POSSIBLE to end up at the same place, so there's the north pole, and every point one mile north of the south pole, if you allow for that fact that someone not trying to get back to the same point probably wont.
IP Logged
DeeK

Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 9th, 2002, 7:33pm »

on Sep 2nd, 2002, 4:18pm, Mungbeam wrote:
Hmm...  my only complaint is that it's not obvious that walking a mile west on the south pole means you end up in the same place.

Hi Mungbeam,  I don't think you understood the answer properly.  The solution in the first post doesn't have anything to do with actually walking _on_ the south pole.  You walk in a circle _around_ the south pole.

Imagine that there is a circle exactly 1 mile in length, with the south pole as the center.  If you walked around that circle for a mile, you'd end up in exactly the same spot.  And THAT is the trick to the question.
IP Logged
Kozo Morimoto

Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 10th, 2002, 1:58am »

Or any of the smaller circles within that original circle where by the circumference is 1/2 (meaning you do 2 laps around the pole) or 1/3 (meaning you do 3 laps around the pole) etc etc
IP Logged
Mungbeam

Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 15th, 2002, 2:21am »

*slap forehead*

I see now... thanks!
IP Logged
sks2141

« Reply #6 on: Jan 23rd, 2007, 5:21am »

I am thinking on the following lines based on sphere property and vectors:  

Case 1) If we start exactly on the north pole:  

if one moves south 1 mile, => one moves along the part of the circumference of the earth  

n then west or east one mile => one moves along the lines which is perpendicular to the axis of earth (under consideration) and so, this wont make any difference whether one moves 1 mile or greater  
coz the cross product will be zero

n then north one mile => one will reach the north pole .... because we have started from the exact north pole and considering the basic property of sphere  

Case 2) If we started on any other point except the extreme poles .... say equator.

if we move south 1 mile, then east or west 1 mile n finally north 1 mile , then depending upon the surface parameters , we will never end up in the same place ..... it will be a kind of a quadrangle on the spherical surface considering joining the start point and the end point  

Case 3) If we started on the south pole

Considering Space as Reference Only:
   if we move south 1 mile => we are actually moving north one mile considering seeing from the space as reference and not the moving object !!!
   so now, if one moves 1 mile east or west and then north one mile :=> one is moving even further north and will not come on the same place  

IP Logged
Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #7 on: Jan 23rd, 2007, 4:14pm »

Except that you are wrong about case 2. While it holds near the equator, there are infinitely many locations where it is false. Read the earlier posts (or the other threads for this riddle) to find out where.

And case 3 is simply impossible (more generally, it is impossible anywhere within 1 mile of the South pole). You cannot travel south from the south pole, so as soon as you are there, you are no longer able to act as the puzzle says.
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2007, 4:16pm by Icarus » IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »