wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - 5x5 Square »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 19th, 2024, 1:39am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   medium
(Moderators: william wu, Grimbal, ThudnBlunder, SMQ, Eigenray, Icarus, towr)
   5x5 Square
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 5x5 Square  (Read 661 times)
Nihat Mala

5x5 Square   Image1.gif
« on: Aug 31st, 2003, 7:24am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am new to the forum and I don't know whether the question is hard or not. Here is the question:

Seperate the diagram in the attachment into 3 pieces with 2 linear lines to form a 5x5 square. (Cell lines are given just for info you don't have to cut following those lines)
« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2003, 7:28am by Nihat Mala » IP Logged

SWF
Uberpuzzler

Re: 5x5 Square  
« Reply #1 on: Sep 1st, 2003, 5:28pm »

Welcome to the board, Nihat Mala. That was fun little problem!

I would classify it as "Medium", but everyone has a different opinion (see this thread). I won't give the answer unless this goes a while with no other responses, like a certain other dissection puzzle that must be beyond hard (not a single response after 8 months).
IP Logged
James Fingas
Uberpuzzler

Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 3rd, 2003, 8:54am »

Very nice. I'm going to classify this one as "Medium", but it's really nice to see a good new puzzle in any of the forums!

There's a discussion here about how to classify puzzles, but I think only time can tell whether a puzzle is truly "Easy" or "Hard". Besides, now that a few of us other than William can move puzzles to classify them, it doesn't matter so much.

So don't hold back any puzzles out of fear you'll mis-classify them!
« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2003, 8:56am by James Fingas » IP Logged

Doc, I'm addicted to advice! What should I do?
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #3 on: Sep 19th, 2003, 10:20pm »

Okay.  
I made two straight cuts and then put the pieces back together to make a five by five square. Is that Oll Kerrect?  

As follows:  
Specifying the grid with A to F along the top starting at the left, and numbers 1 to 10 starting from the top.  Cut off the square at b-3, and move it to e-3. Then cut off everything below row 6, and move it up to fill the space a,b-2,3,4 and a-5. Was the advice to ignore the cell lines a little misdirection? Cool
IP Logged

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. <Ben Franklin>
SWF
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #4 on: Sep 20th, 2003, 6:46am »

That is different from the way I did it, but looks like it works to me.

Maybe the question meant that the "linear line" cuts should be made with true lines (infinite in length). In that case your first cut would cause an extra piece to be made.
IP Logged
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #5 on: Sep 21st, 2003, 5:06pm »

Does linear lines actually have that meaning. I took it just to mean straight. I take it your answer used infinite lines. Is it possible to cut it on a diagonal to get the answer?
IP Logged

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. <Ben Franklin>
SWF
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #6 on: Sep 21st, 2003, 8:18pm »

I don't know what the question meant by the redundant phrase "linear lines"- probably meant straight lines.

Based on the clue, I think the solution sought involved cuts not following grid lines, although I see nothing wrong with your solution.

Yes, the way I solved it works with infinite lines that do not run along the grid lines.
IP Logged
SWF
Uberpuzzler

Re: 5x5 Square   5x5.GIF
« Reply #7 on: Oct 22nd, 2003, 7:11pm »

The length of side being 5 gives the clue that cutting at the angle of a 3-4-5 right triangle can be used to form the square:
IP Logged

Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #8 on: Oct 22nd, 2003, 8:59pm »

SWF, that is an elegant answer, and the graphic is nice too.  Wink
IP Logged

SWF
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #9 on: Oct 23rd, 2003, 10:20pm »

I am glad you liked the picture, because it was not easy for me to draw with my lousy paint program that only allows drawing lines freehand- can't even pick the end points and let the program fill in a line joining them.
IP Logged
aero_guy
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 23rd, 2003, 11:27pm »

Wow, now I am really impressed by the drawing.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »