wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Couch Moving »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 6th, 2024, 3:38pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   medium
(Moderators: ThudnBlunder, SMQ, william wu, Eigenray, towr, Grimbal, Icarus)
   Couch Moving
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Couch Moving  (Read 769 times)
James Fingas
Uberpuzzler

Email

Couch Moving   couch.gif
« on: Oct 21st, 2003, 1:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Pictured below is part of the layout of an apartment, and a couch, currently outside the apartment. You have to try and get the couch into the living room (indicated).

After you have solved that, think about the following: how complicated could it possibly be to move a single object through an area, without being impossible? Do you need objects like tables in the way to make it difficult?
IP Logged

Doc, I'm addicted to advice! What should I do?
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: Couch Moving  
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21st, 2003, 3:18pm »

can we assume the couch is as two-dimensional as picture ? Wink cause then we can simply flip it on its side

::It seem possible to moves it through the kitchen, after first moving the table out of the way (into the living room), then taking the long way round. The place where the table used to stand (before we moved it out of the way) seems sufficient to turn the couch 90 degrees, and then shove it into the living room::

on Oct 21st, 2003, 1:08pm, James Fingas wrote:
After you have solved that, think about the following: how complicated could it possibly be to move a single object through an area, without being impossible? Do you need objects like tables in the way to make it difficult?
How about a maze Tongue
With trap-passages..
And with people guarding critical passages, who ask you  riddles which you have to solve before they let you pass..
And moving objects which you have to avoid (like big axes slowly swinging back and forward).
And let's not forget side-quests, rescue the princess to get a key to answer the door of the shed where the shovel is located which you need to dig up the treasure the pirate asked for in exchange for a monkey which will help you steal an important document about the duck-conspiracy the major needs as proof, and in exchange for which he'll let down the drawbridge which you need to cross..
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2003, 3:30pm by towr » IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #2 on: Oct 21st, 2003, 3:52pm »

Actually, the original moving problem becomes much simpler if the door to a time traveling apartment appears temporarily at just the right location in the wall to allow you to open the door and gain the extra room needed to get around the tight corner. You must look for the holistic solution!
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #3 on: Oct 22nd, 2003, 12:44am »

how is that holistic?

Of course you could also just break down the wall, it's a bit more feasable than time-travel.. Or make use of a third dimension (but not time). If the appartment is higher than the length of the couch you might me able to get it to the living room directly..
IP Logged

Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #4 on: Oct 22nd, 2003, 9:35am »

I was sure you in particular would have recognized that one! Would it have helped to add that the ultimate answer to this problem is 42?
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #5 on: Oct 22nd, 2003, 9:46am »

I never actually read "hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy", I only know a few handfulls of references from it Tongue
IP Logged

BNC
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #6 on: Oct 22nd, 2003, 10:19am »

Just for the record -- this is not from THGTTG, but rather from "Dirk Gently's holistic detective agency"
IP Logged

How about supercalifragilisticexpialidociouspuzzler [Towr, 2007]
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #7 on: Oct 22nd, 2003, 10:23am »

Well, I never even heard of that one..
But I'll put it on my "to read before I die, maybe"-list Wink
IP Logged

aero_guy
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 22nd, 2003, 10:24am »

Wow, it sbeen a long time since I read that, is that how the couch problem they encountered occurred?
IP Logged
Rezyk

Email

Re: Couch Moving   spinout.jpg
« Reply #9 on: Oct 22nd, 2003, 2:18pm »

on Oct 21st, 2003, 1:08pm, James Fingas wrote:
how complicated could it possibly be to move a single object through an area, without being impossible?

I imagine that it can get at least exponentially hard, as I can see reducing puzzle games like Spinout (pictured below) to a 2D couch problem with oddly shaped tables.  Spinout is equivalent to the Chinese ring puzzle and has an exponentially large solution sequence.

Quote:
Do you need objects like tables in the way to make it difficult?

I would guess so -- without other moveable objects, you can try mapping the valid configuration space of the object (positions/rotations where it is not embedded in another object) and then determining its connectivity, which I think is not so hard.
IP Logged

James Fingas
Uberpuzzler

Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 23rd, 2003, 9:30am »

That's a fun puzzle. Of course it's just a grey-coded binary sequence in disguise (but aren't they all).

With tables, you could reduce the game to Sokoban (not sure it that's its original name). The one where you push square blocks around a maze. Very difficult.

But what about without tables? Could it be made difficult?
IP Logged

Doc, I'm addicted to advice! What should I do?
TimMann
Senior Riddler

« Reply #11 on: Oct 23rd, 2003, 11:11pm »

Another interesting subclass of these puzzles is Rush Hour. It's PSPACE-complete, yet fun to play at parties.  See:

http://www.sciencenews.org/20020817/bob10.asp
http://www.puzzles.com/products/rushhour.htm

Rush Hour has lots of "tables" (moving pieces).  I have no idea about games that have an irregularly shaped area but only one moving piece.
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2003, 11:12pm by TimMann » IP Logged

http://tim-mann.org/
Rezyk

Email

« Reply #12 on: Oct 24th, 2003, 12:12pm »

on Oct 23rd, 2003, 9:30am, James Fingas wrote:
With tables, you could reduce the game to Sokoban (not sure it that's its original name). The one where you push square blocks around a maze. Very difficult.

Do you mean "you could reduce the game from Sokoban"? (showing that it's at least as hard as Sokoban)

If so, are you sure it can be reduced?  The player's position, strength, and lack of pulling ability in Sokoban play major roles, disallowing many box movements for which there is free space.  I assume those don't directly apply in the couch problem, where you can scramble across tables/couches to get to any position, coordinate a team of friends to move a dozen tables synchronously, and pull a table out of a damned corner. Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »