wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Mount Fuji »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 4:49am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   microsoft
(Moderators: ThudnBlunder, Icarus, towr, SMQ, Grimbal, Eigenray, william wu)
   Mount Fuji
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Mount Fuji  (Read 13287 times)
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: Mount Fuji  
« Reply #50 on: Nov 10th, 2004, 12:54am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Nov 9th, 2004, 9:14pm, Icarus wrote:
coolnfundu is correct. Movement is with respect to an observer.
Easy to say it is so, but most people would disagree with that interpretation.  
Not that I think majority opinion is generally right, but when it comes to the meaning of words it's another matter. Besides, I don't like observer-relativism. We have a whole universe with respect to which things can move, no observer necessary.
And it's easy to say, "oh but the whole earth and thus mount Fuji is already moving", but that doesn't change that _you_ didn't move it, at the least you'd have to add to the movement for it to count.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #51 on: Nov 10th, 2004, 6:54am »

For instance if someone tells you: "I need to go get something.  Don't move until I'm back."  He doesn't mean you should follow him and remain at the same position relatively to him.  Grin
IP Logged
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #52 on: Nov 10th, 2004, 4:39pm »

Grimbal lol.  
My dog, he understands Einstein's observer relative physics better than I do. I tell him to stay, and he does, right next to me. Even if I run as fast as I can. Next time I will tell him to stay in motion so that he remains still in relation to the earth.
IP Logged

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. <Ben Franklin>
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #53 on: Nov 11th, 2004, 7:12pm »

on Nov 10th, 2004, 12:54am, towr wrote:
Easy to say it is so, but most people would disagree with that interpretation.

Actually, when fully explained, I think the vast majority would agree. To say that something moved means that it changed position. But what determines "position"? Position can only be described in terms of other objects. Since objects do move with respect to each other, you are faced with a choice of which objects define your "fixed" positions. But we regularly switch this reference frame when it suits us. Most of the time, we choose the earth as defining our references. But when convenient we will switch to one based on the "fixed stars" within our galaxy, or on one based on relative positions of galaxies. But even these are not truly fixed, as the galaxies are in motion with respect to each other.

And there are plenty of times when our position references are centered around ourselves (e.g. "He is behind me"). In my answer, I have simply chosen an egocentric reference frame in a situation that is normally thought of in terracentric terms. Because the egocentric frame is not usually applied here does not make it invalid, just uncommon.

Quote:
Not that I think majority opinion is generally right, but when it comes to the meaning of words it's another matter.

I agree, but the fact is, the (100%) majority does agree with me in usage, even if they don't realize they do it.

Quote:
Besides, I don't like observer-relativism. We have a whole universe with respect to which things can move, no observer necessary.

Your universe is the "observer" in this case. (Except that it is the objects within the universe that determine position, not the universe itself - there is no default axes or orientation to the universe itself, so far as we know. The existance of such would violate conservation of momentum, which all evidence points to as being universal). "Observer" does not mean a person or apparatus in Relativity (its meaning in Quatum Mechanics is up for debate). Rather "observer" is simply a synonym for a reference frame.

Quote:
And it's easy to say, "oh but the whole earth and thus mount Fuji is already moving"

An excellent example of switching to a stellar-centric reference frame.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
algo_wrencher

I am not insane, I enjoy every moment of it!

« Reply #54 on: Sep 30th, 2005, 2:07pm »

Move out into space over the mount fuji using a helicopter and reach an altitude from where earth looks like a ball. Now use a high power telescope to  watch Mt Fuji. As earth rotates on its axis, Mt. Fuji will move..... Cool
IP Logged
Speaker
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #55 on: Oct 2nd, 2005, 6:00pm »

To do that you need a really good helicopter.  Roll Eyes

Anyway, I just read through all the posts, and Wu-sama suggested using Japanese mythology. Well, just recently I heard the story of Mt. Fuji and Mt. Yatsugatake.  

It seems that in the misty reaches of the time before history the mountains of Japan were not as friendly as they have grown to be over the years. The Goddess of Mt. Fuji was beautiful and everyone knew it. She made sure that everyone new it. She was the best and most beautiful and tallest mountain in Japan.  
But then the God of Mt. Yatsugatake pointed out that actually he was taller, just a little bit maybe, but taller is taller afterall.  
This of course made the Goddess of Mt. Fuji furious. She wouldn't believe it and demanded proof. So, a test was devised. The world's largest half-pipe was built. (unfortunately this was before the invention of the skateboard, so it was total hell-of bummer that no one was able to go big on this half-pipe (ed.))  
So, an engineer from the local gods & goddess union placed the huge half-pipe (which was about 500 kilometers long) so that one end rested on top of Mt. Fuji and the other on Mt. Yatsugatake. Then, water was poured into the middle of the half-pipe. Everyone knows that water flows downhill, so whichever way the water flowed indicated the shorter of the two mountains.  
Well, it turns out that Mt. Fuji was shorter than that upstart Mt. Yatsugatake. The water flowed down onto Mt. Fuji's velvety white slopes and got her foothills all muddy.  
Well, this made Mt. Fuji so mad that she picked up that half-pipe and walked over to Mt. Yatsugatake and started whacking him across the top of his crest smashing him down until he was shorter than Mt. Fuji. This gave him a rather lumpy appearance because Mt. Fuji did not bother to smooth out her work. To this day you can still see the bits she left sticking up between the huge dents she made.  

So, to move Mt. Fuji, just start a rumor that Mt. Asahi is taller than Mt. Fuji, and soon enough She will pick up her skirts and march right over there to knock that one down to size too.  

Just try it. Go ahead, you think she won't? You got another think coming. Give the lady some respect. She's still got that half-pipe in the kitchen someplace.
IP Logged

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. <Ben Franklin>
heheheh

Email

« Reply #56 on: Oct 28th, 2005, 9:49am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Take one step in any direction. Conservation of momentum dictates that mount fuji has rotated to compensate for your displacement.

Alternatively, Microsoft has the resources to aquire nuclear weapons, and the money to settle out of court after using them.
IP Logged
Gautam

Email

« Reply #57 on: Dec 12th, 2005, 3:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Every motion is relative...
so if u want to move mount fuji...  then u just need to do is move urself...mount fuji is moved automatically
IP Logged
ajitknox

« Reply #58 on: Feb 3rd, 2006, 8:13pm »

I would take a picture of Mt.Fuji. Then goto my dual monitor machine which runs Win XP. Then i would open MS Paint in the left monitor and open my picture. I will type in Mount Fuji at the bottom of the picture..Save the file in JPG format and call it Mount_Fiji.jpg. THen i would goto my desktop, right click on the image icon on the desktop and drag so that XP gives me the option "Move Here". So I use the world of software powered by Windows to move Mount Fiji..

The question that is left for the interviewer now is, why am i using a dual monitor machine to accomplish this?? Wink
IP Logged
egnorant

Email

« Reply #59 on: Feb 22nd, 2006, 12:03am »

How would I move Mt. FujiHuh

Respectfully of course!!

Or I could get a really big conveyor belt and a bunch of jet engines........
Bruce
IP Logged
WombatDeath

« Reply #60 on: Aug 25th, 2006, 4:08pm »

I would wait for the constituent particles of Mount Fuji to spontaneously and simultaneously shift an observable distance in the same direction.

If it appeared that this method was likely to be rendered unnecessary by an external factor, such as the imminent destruction of the earth, I would construct an apparatus to lift Mount Fuji, move it an observable distance and set it back down upon the earth.
IP Logged
manusharma12

« Reply #61 on: Jun 12th, 2007, 9:28am »

i will make a folder in a drive name "Mount Fuji"
 then move it to another drive...
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »