wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - When A = B^k »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 3:35am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   putnam exam (pure math)
(Moderators: Icarus, SMQ, towr, Grimbal, Eigenray, william wu)
   When A = B^k
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: When A = B^k  (Read 759 times)
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

When A = B^k  
« on: Mar 5th, 2004, 5:59am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Given two numbers A, B [in] [bbn]. Prove that the following statements are equivalent:

1. For every n [in] [bbn], (Bn-1) | (An-1).
2. A = Bk for some k [in] [bbn].
IP Logged
Pietro K.C.

115936899 115936899    

Re: When A = B^k  
« Reply #1 on: Mar 8th, 2004, 3:23am »

OK, we have to show that (1) --> (2) and (2) --> (1).

The second part is easy:

If A = Bk, then

An - 1 = Bkn - 1.

Setting X = Bn gives

An - 1      Xk - 1
-------- = --------- = 1 + X + ... + Xk-1 [in] N
Bn - 1       X - 1

for each n [in] N.  

For the first part, I've been able to show that, assuming (1),

if p is a prime and p | A, then p | B.

Proof:

Suppose p prime such that p | A but not p | B. Then An - 1 is not divisible by p for any n [in] N, while p | Bp-1 - 1. Therefore,

Ap-1 - 1
---------  [notin]  N.
Bp-1 - 1

Using this, I've been able to demonstrate the theorem for the restricted case where B is a prime power. It's a fun problem to work on, Barukh!
IP Logged

"I always wondered about the meaning of life. So I looked it up in the dictionary under 'L' and there it was --- the meaning of life. It was not what I expected." (Dogbert)
Pietro K.C.

115936899 115936899    

« Reply #2 on: Apr 2nd, 2004, 1:18pm »

No luck yet...  Tongue

Wish I could say it's due to lack of time, but I've worked on it through a few of my more tedious classes - especially Economics for Engineers - and it isn't solved.

Besides what I said in the preceding post, I've come to the following rather weak conclusions (I won't hide them because they're more like lines of attack than solutions):

1. If, given the information that

(*) Bn-1 | An-1 for all n [in] [bbn]

and A > B, we can show that B | A, the theorem will be proved. Because then we'll be able to write

A = qB [bigto] An-1 = qnBn-1 = qnBn-Bn+Bn-1 = Bn(qn-1) + (Bn-1)

and hence

Bn-1 | An-1 [bigto] Bn-1 | Bn(qn-1).

Since gcd(Bn,Bn-1) = 1, this happens iff

Bn-1 | qn-1

and so we're back at the original problem, but now with a smaller number. Applying the hypothetical B | A argument over and over, eventually we'll reach q < B, in which case

B-1 | q-1 [bigleftrightarrow] q = 1.

So we'll have A = B[cdot][cdot][cdot]B[cdot]1 = Bk for some k [in] [bbn] (might be 0).

2. From (*) we gather that, whenever gcd(B,m)=1 for an m [in] [bbn], also gcd(A,m)=1 (prove this). Further, the order of A mod m always divides the order of B mod m. (Define the order to be zero if there is no k [in] [bbn] such that Bk [equiv] 1 (mod m))

I'm not sure what to make of this, but it may be useful. I think only pairs of numbers where one is a power of the other can have this property. Needless to say, a proof of this would amount to a proof of the theorem.

Any takers?
« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2004, 6:46pm by Pietro K.C. » IP Logged

"I always wondered about the meaning of life. So I looked it up in the dictionary under 'L' and there it was --- the meaning of life. It was not what I expected." (Dogbert)
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #3 on: Apr 3rd, 2004, 3:29am »

Pietro, I am glad you are trying to solve this difficult problem and not give up too easy  Cheesy! Your observations are very good.

If you want to try another approach which leads to the solution I've learned, here are two hints  Wink:

HINT 1: Consider the expression (An-1)/(Bn-1) – (An/Bn + An/B2n + .. + An/Bkn + …), where the last sum runs for all k such that Bkn <= An.

HINT 2: Search for another thread in this section that links the first hint with the solution.

Good luck!

« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2004, 3:29am by Barukh » IP Logged
Barukh
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #4 on: May 29th, 2004, 10:12am »

Before this thread is forgotten in obscurity, here’s the solution I know.  

[smiley=blacksquare.gif]
Let M = max {k | Bk [le] A}. Consider the sum S(n) =  [sum]k=1M An/Bkn. Because

S(n) = An(B-n - B-(M+1)n)/(1 - B-n) [ge] (An - B)/(Bn - 1),

(An-1) / (Bn-1)  - S(n) [to] 0 when n [to] [infty]. This is equivalent to { S(n) } [to] 0 when n [to] [infty] ( {} is fractional part ).

Now, the following thread proves the statement about the “integral nature” of a rational r whose powers’ fractional part has a limit 0. This statement may be naturally generalized as follows: if rk[in][bbq] (k=1,…,M) and lim {[sum]rkn} [to] 0 when n [to][infty], then rk[in][bbz]. Now, in S(n), take rk = A/Bk, and the result follows.
[smiley=blacksquare.gif]

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »