wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - rank and column space of a matrix »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 3:18pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   putnam exam (pure math)
(Moderators: SMQ, towr, Eigenray, Icarus, Grimbal, william wu)
   rank and column space of a matrix
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: rank and column space of a matrix  (Read 2459 times)
Nikki

Email

rank and column space of a matrix  
« on: May 27th, 2004, 6:48am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

a) suppose that A is a 3*3 matrix whose nullspace is a line thorugh the origin in R3. Can the row or column space of A also be a line through the origin? ExplaiN

b) If A is a 6*4 matrix such that the system Ax=0 has a non-trivial solution, what is the largest possible value of rank (A)? explaiN
IP Logged
ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

The dewdrop slides into the shining Sea

Re: rank and column space of a matrix  
« Reply #1 on: May 27th, 2004, 9:00am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Quote:
explaiN

Your punctuation is rather poor. You should write "Explain!"
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2004, 9:01am by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
Sir Col
Uberpuzzler

impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

« Reply #2 on: May 27th, 2004, 11:10am »

on May 27th, 2004, 9:00am, THUDandBLUNDER wrote:

Your punctuation is rather poor. You should write "Explain!"

Your punctuation is almost as poor. You should have written...

Your punctuation is rather poor. You should write, "Explain!"  Grin

Nikki, I'm afraid that I don't understand the question. I thought that the null space is the set of vectors, v, that solve the equation, Av = 0. How can a vector be a line through the origin? Perhaps one of our resident experts in Linear Algebra can assist.
IP Logged

mathschallenge.net / projecteuler.net
Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #3 on: May 27th, 2004, 7:57pm »

One vector cannot be a line. However a "set of vectors" can be a line! The nullspace is presumably exactly the set Sir Col identified - though it is more often called the "kernal". This set is easily seen to be closed under addition and scalar multiplication, so it must be a vector space itself. Therefore it must consist of the origin alone, or a line through the origin, or a plane through the origin, or all of space.

In this case, we are given that it is a line, which means that the matrix A has exactly two linearly independent rows or columns.

This is the best I can tell you though, because the terminology "Row or column space" is not one I have ever heard before. What do you mean by these?

As for (b), the equation is: Rank + dimension of kernal (nullspace) = Dimension of the domain.

Since Ax = 0 has a non-trivial solution, what is the smallest dimension possible of the nullspace?
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Eigenray
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #4 on: May 27th, 2004, 11:23pm »

The row/column space is the span of the rows/columns.  These spaces have the same dimension, which is the rank of the matrix.  The dimension of the nullspace is called the nullity.

Nikki, to relate the rank and nullity of a matrix, there is a theorem called, conveniently enough, the "rank-nullity theorem", and for an m x n matrtix, tells you that rank A + nullity A = n.

So, if the nullspace is a line, then its dimension is what?  Then what is the rank, i.e., dimension of the row or column space?  Can they be lines?
IP Logged
ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

The dewdrop slides into the shining Sea

« Reply #5 on: May 29th, 2004, 3:24am »

Quote:
...though it is more often called the "kernal".

...but not outside of Kansas - 'round these here parts it goes by the name of 'kernel'.   Tongue

« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2004, 3:06am by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »