wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Converse for independent functions »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 11:57am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   putnam exam (pure math)
(Moderators: Eigenray, towr, SMQ, Grimbal, Icarus, william wu)
   Converse for independent functions
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Converse for independent functions  (Read 524 times)
ecoist
Senior Riddler

Converse for independent functions  
« on: Dec 28th, 2006, 8:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

One way to show that n real-valued functions fi are linearly independent is to somehow find n elements xi in the common domain of these functions such that the nxn matrix A=(fi(xj)) is nonsingular.  What about the converse?  Given n linearly independent real-valued functions fi with common domain D, do there always exist n elements di in D such that the nxn matrix A=(fi(dj)) is nonsingular?
IP Logged
Eigenray
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Re: Converse for independent functions  
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29th, 2006, 12:47am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Essentially this is the statement that the functions are linearly independent iff the rank of the n x |D| "matrix" (fi(dj)) is n.

Let k be the dimension of the column span, i.e., the largest k for which there exist x1,...,xk such that the n x k matrix A=(fi(xj)) has rank k.  Then k < n.  Suppose that k < n.  We show that the fi are linearly dependent.

Since A is n x k with k<n, there is some non-zero vector v of Rn such that vtA = 0, i.e., for each j=1..k,

[sum]i vi fi(xj) = 0.

But for any y in D, the maximality of k implies that the column vector F(y) = (fi(y)) is in the column span of A, so F(y) = Aw for some w in Rk (depending on y).  That is, for each i=1..n,

fi(y) = [sum]j fi(xj)wj.

But now vtF(y) = vtAw = 0.  Since this holds for all y, it follows [sum] vi fi is identically 0, and the fi are linearly dependent.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »