wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Grammar / Spelling »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 3:56pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   suggestions, help, and FAQ
(Moderators: towr, Icarus, william wu, ThudnBlunder, Grimbal, Eigenray, SMQ)
   Grammar / Spelling
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Grammar / Spelling  (Read 3305 times)
KT

Email

Grammar / Spelling  
« on: Sep 12th, 2002, 1:25am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Is there a way to have the puzzles checked for spelling and grammar errors?  I have found myself confused occasionally by how a riddle is phrased.  I also note that you have to go back and correct previous postings due to unclear writing.  This problem also makes some of the forum threads difficult to follow.  
 IE: "Scientists have proven a correlation....etc.  Why?"  
 By paragraph structure this asks 'Why did the scientist prove this?'.  It would be more accurate to phrase the question as 'What is the cause they discovered?' or something similar.
IP Logged
william wu
wu::riddles Administrator

Re: Grammar / Spelling  
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13th, 2002, 8:03am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Sorry about the unclear wording. Yes I agree, many of the problems are poorly worded. This can be very bothersome; it reminds of me of when I get poorly worded homework assignments. I have reworded the riddle as follows:

Quote:

scientific studies have shown that there is a direct, positive correlation between foot size and performance in spelling bees / spelling tests. how can you explain this correlation?

if you have more rephrasing suggestions, either for this problem or other problems, i am very willing to hear them.  

admittedly i have already received some rephrasing suggestions for various problems via e-mail, but i haven't incorporated them all. some of the mailers argue that a problem is ill-defined as currently phrased, and then i have to contemplate whether it really is ill-defined, and that requires a long contiguous block of spare time which i rarely have.

as for the threads being difficult to follow because of this, i apologize; i guess the best solution is to phrase problems clearly first before putting them on the site, and i'll try harder to do this.
IP Logged

[ wu ] : http://wuriddles.com / http://forums.wuriddles.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »