wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Lighthouse, Broken Pencil... Others? »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 7:34pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   what happened
(Moderators: william wu, SMQ, Grimbal, towr, ThudnBlunder, Icarus, Eigenray)
   Lighthouse, Broken Pencil... Others?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Lighthouse, Broken Pencil... Others?  (Read 7757 times)
lar

Email

Lighthouse, Broken Pencil... Others?  
« on: Mar 1st, 2005, 10:08am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Riddle 1:
"Before going to bed, a man shuts off all the lights. Waking up in the morning, the man picks up a newspaper and, upon reading the headline, becomes so distraught that he kills himself. Why?"

Riddle 2:
"A man lies dead at his desk with a gunshot wound to the head. His door is locked from the inside, the window behind him is closed, and a pencil lies broken on the floor. How did he die?"

I'm sure most of you have heard these riddles before (and I apoligize if I worded them poorly). When I was growing up, my family would ask riddles like these to us kids, allowing us to ask yes/no questions about the situation until we could solve the puzzle. I had great fun doing this.

Now, I am tutoring a 13 yr old in math, and I think asking these types of riddles (with the yes/no questions) is a good way to start the sessions. The thing is, I only know 4 or 5 of them, so they'll run out pretty quick. Does anyone here know of a good place to find these kinds of riddles? Or does anyone know any others to add? Is there a specific name for these riddles?

Any information would be great. Thanks, everyone.
IP Logged
ThudnBlunder
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

The dewdrop slides into the shining Sea

Re: Lighthouse, Broken Pencil... Others?  
« Reply #1 on: Mar 1st, 2005, 11:10am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Quote:
Does anyone here know of a good place to find these kinds of riddles? Or does anyone know any others to add? Is there a specific name for these riddles?  

Any information would be great.

They are called lateral thinking puzzles.

Here is a very good place to start.   Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2005, 11:17am by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
Sir Col
Uberpuzzler

impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

« Reply #2 on: Mar 1st, 2005, 4:01pm »

You may wish to check out the range of books by Paul Sloane, et al, who is pretty much the king of lateral thinking puzzles.

The rec.puzzle archives have a selection of some of his puzzles:
http://rec-puzzles.org/lateral.html
IP Logged

mathschallenge.net / projecteuler.net
lar

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 1st, 2005, 8:32pm »

Thanks for the help, guys. Both links were a great help.

It kind of seems like many lateral thinking puzzles all end up being the same thing, doesn't it?
IP Logged
Padzok

« Reply #4 on: Mar 3rd, 2005, 3:08pm »

on Mar 1st, 2005, 8:32pm, lar wrote:
It kind of seems like many lateral thinking puzzles all end up being the same thing, doesn't it?

Er..like, "ice", you mean?   Cool

IP Logged
jenniegurl

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jun 26th, 2005, 8:08am »

on Mar 1st, 2005, 10:08am, lar wrote:
Riddle 1:
"Before going to bed, a man shuts off all the lights. Waking up in the morning, the man picks up a newspaper and, upon reading the headline, becomes so distraught that he kills himself. Why?"

he was homer simson at the nuclear power plant and he shut off all the light switches so the whole city had no light for the night and when he woke up as he was eating his jelly donut he read the newspaper and realized he had been really stupid so he killed himself and died.  
IP Logged
RIM

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 28th, 2005, 11:15am »

on Mar 1st, 2005, 10:08am, lar wrote:

Riddle 2:
"A man lies dead at his desk with a gunshot wound to the head. His door is locked from the inside, the window behind him is closed, and a pencil lies broken on the floor. How did he die?"

Is this a misdirection riddle?  Like the answer is he died from the gunshot wound to the head and all the other stuff is just added in there to confuse you?
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »