wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - imaginary »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 15th, 2024, 1:22am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   what happened
(Moderators: Grimbal, SMQ, towr, Eigenray, ThudnBlunder, william wu, Icarus)
   imaginary
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: imaginary  (Read 4794 times)
temporary

imaginary  
« on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

What if I imagine someone with the power to become real? Why did he or she not become real?
IP Logged

My goal is to find what my goal is, once I find what my goal is, my goal will be complete.
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: imaginary  
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23rd, 2008, 1:15am »

Because it's just an imagination; there wasn't a he or she with any power to begin with.  

It's a bit similar to the ontological argument for "a being than which no greater can be conceived" (i.e. God, according to Anselmus); http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/ontological-arguments/  
Also relevant is how you should treat 'existence', or 'being real'; e.g. there are some problems concerning it's use as (first-order) property of things;  http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/existence/
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
shasta

« Reply #2 on: Jan 23rd, 2008, 7:06am »

This looks like a "definition" riddle. I'm thinking that the intended answer goes something like... because the definition of real means things that exist outside of the imagination. If we agree with that definition, we could be more specific and say because solely imagining something does not create it as a real thing, more work is still needed. Of course, if we assume that simply imagining them is God creates things, we might just say because you're not God.
IP Logged
temporary

« Reply #3 on: Jan 23rd, 2008, 6:00pm »

However, if in the imaginary ream he or she is able to exit that ream and enter the real realm, why not? And thudandblunder, the tooth fairy is irrelevant even if he/she is imaginary.
IP Logged

My goal is to find what my goal is, once I find what my goal is, my goal will be complete.
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #4 on: Jan 24th, 2008, 12:44am »

on Jan 23rd, 2008, 6:00pm, temporary wrote:
However, if in the imaginary realm he or she is able to exit that ream and enter the real realm, why not?
Because that ability is purely imaginary, not actual. Imagining something to be real doesn't make it real.
IP Logged

JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #5 on: Jan 24th, 2008, 2:48am »

What is real anyway ? How do you define real ? How does it differs from something which is not real; i.e. imaginary ?  

Quote:
If real is what you can feel, smell, taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain. - Morpheus
IP Logged

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
mikedagr8
Uberpuzzler

A rich man is one who is content; not wealthy.

« Reply #6 on: Jan 24th, 2008, 3:06am »

on Jan 24th, 2008, 2:48am, JiNbOtAk wrote:
What is real anyway ? How do you define real ? How does it differs from something which is not real; i.e. imaginary ?  

Glad you included the best quote from Morpheus in the entire trilogy. Grin Cheesy
IP Logged

"It's not that I'm correct, it's that you're just not correct, and so; I am right." - M.P.E.
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #7 on: Jan 24th, 2008, 4:54am »

on Jan 24th, 2008, 2:48am, JiNbOtAk wrote:
What is real anyway ? How do you define real ? How does it differs from something which is not real; i.e. imaginary?
It's hard to make a good suggestion. You might say things are real to the extend to which they are causally effective in our (physical) world.  
Many imaginary things can have real aspects in this sense; for example imaginary people might inspire you (i.e. some aspects of them cause some effect in you). In contrast superman's ability to lift a train is imaginary since it can't itself cause a physical train to be lifted.
IP Logged

temporary

« Reply #8 on: Jan 24th, 2008, 9:16pm »

However, what if this world is the imaginary one, and everything we know is a lie. Prove this statement wrong.
IP Logged

thecow135

« Reply #9 on: Jan 25th, 2008, 10:56am »

on Jan 24th, 2008, 3:06am, mikedagr8 wrote:

Glad you included the best quote from Morpheus in the entire trilogy. Grin Cheesy

NO! the best quote is when neo asks him "are you saying i can dodge bullets?" and morpheus goes "i'm not saying you'll be able to dodge bulelts, i'm saying that when you're ready, you won't have to."

or sometihng liek that...
IP Logged

cuz everybody noe that the game dont stop try to make it to the top fo ur ass get popped
mikedagr8
Uberpuzzler

A rich man is one who is content; not wealthy.

« Reply #10 on: Jan 25th, 2008, 1:33pm »

on Jan 25th, 2008, 10:56am, thecow135 wrote:

NO! the best quote is when neo asks him "are you saying i can dodge bullets?" and morpheus goes "i'm not saying you'll be able to dodge bulelts, i'm saying that when you're ready, you won't have to."

or sometihng liek that...

Looks pretty good to me.
IP Logged

"It's not that I'm correct, it's that you're just not correct, and so; I am right." - M.P.E.
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #11 on: Jan 25th, 2008, 5:49pm »

on Jan 24th, 2008, 9:16pm, temporary wrote:
However, what if this world is the imaginary one, and everything we know is a lie. Prove this statement wrong.

What is "real"? This is a matter of definition. "This world" is, for me, what I personally feel, experience, etc. "Real" is, for me, what I personally feel, experience, etc. I.e., this world is real by definition.

Schizophrenics and the like suffer not because of their delusions, but because their delusions are not complete. They spend time both in their delusional world and in the real one, and the two contradict and interfere with each other. It is that clash that causes schizophrenics suffering. If the schizophrenic experienced nothing but his delusions, he would not face the loss and agony his disease causes. He would have no knowledge of his condition. He would not suffer loss of relationships and function because of it. He would not be aware of any relationships or function in the "real" world. Instead, his delusion would be all he knew. That would be his life, and he would have as much chance to be happy in it as we are in our world.

If this is a delusion of my mind, then I must say that I have a far better imagination, and am considerably more intelligent than I ever thought possible! Of course that imagination apparently has a very nasty dark side as well.  Tongue  

If there is some other reality "behind" this one, as in The Matrix (though preferably something that makes sense), well, whoop-de-doo. I would say that this doesn't make a bit of difference unless and until it interferes with this one. Until such a time, I'm not going to worry about try to know the unknowable.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #12 on: Jan 25th, 2008, 8:42pm »

on Jan 25th, 2008, 5:49pm, Icarus wrote:
Instead, his delusion would be all he knew. That would be his life, and he would have as much chance to be happy in it as we are in our world.

In other words, his delusions would be the 'real' world to him. And for us to try to convince him otherwise, would not only be selfish, it would also be cruel.
IP Logged

Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #13 on: Jan 25th, 2008, 8:44pm »

If he was happy, then perhaps yes. But it would also be difficult at best, since he would not be aware of us.
IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
temporary

« Reply #14 on: Jan 26th, 2008, 11:07am »

So he can become real but doesn't want to?
« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2008, 11:07am by temporary » IP Logged

Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #15 on: Jan 26th, 2008, 2:04pm »

He is real no matter how you look at it. He is real to us, though cut off from our world. (Remember - this is assuming he has no contact with what we call the "real world". If he has such contact, then we get the sad condition of actual schizophrenics.) And he is real to himself.

What he experiences is also real to him, though not to us. It is we who are not real to him.

We can theorize that we also exist in some fantasy, not in touch with some "deeper reality". But unless that deeper reality somehow does touch us, or we can touch it, such speculation is untestable and pointless. I see no reason to worry about it.
IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
mehtvi2

« Reply #16 on: Dec 12th, 2010, 8:54pm »

numbers?
IP Logged
cheesepuff
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #17 on: Jul 11th, 2011, 10:54am »

I think that the word "real" applies to the world in which the though originated from. Since when we define the word "real" in our world, we are using our own standards for it, then our world is in fact "real." Your imaginary friend has the ability to become real, so he does, but only in your imaginary friend's world, which to us is the imaginary world. It would be more challenging to imagine a friend who can become imaginary.
IP Logged

errrrrrrrrrrr........ 24
ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

The dewdrop slides into the shining Sea

« Reply #18 on: Jul 11th, 2011, 11:29am »

I wonder if temporary (aka srn347, srn437) has realized mind-over-matter yet.
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2011, 9:21pm by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
Andrew Lewis

andrewlewis128   andrewlewis128

« Reply #19 on: Jun 23rd, 2012, 11:26pm »

Unfortunately, if inside the imaginary ream he or she can leave which ream and enter the real domain, the reason why not? As well as thudandblunder, the tooth fairy is irrelevant whether or not he/she is imaginary.
IP Logged
alien2
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #20 on: Jul 6th, 2012, 5:01am »

CHAKOTAY: It reminds me of the Australian aborigines. They believed the dream world was no less real than the waking world. In fact, their creation mythology says their ancestors dreamed the universe into existence.
IP Logged

JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #21 on: Jul 8th, 2012, 7:21pm »

Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?

~ Albus Dumbledore

IP Logged

littlemisschic

goobacks rule!

« Reply #22 on: Jul 26th, 2012, 9:49pm »

imagination.... Is not real

Millions of kids Imagine the tooth fairy.... doesn't make it real
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »