wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Jedi Religion! »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 12:52pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   general
   truth
(Moderators: Icarus, Grimbal, Eigenray, william wu, ThudnBlunder, SMQ, towr)
   Jedi Religion!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Jedi Religion!  (Read 2963 times)
flamingdragon
Uberpuzzler

flamingdragon532
Email

Jedi Religion!  
« on: Nov 28th, 2006, 8:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

See for yourself:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/16112006/140/pair-use-force-jedi-religion.html
IP Logged

"The fool doth think he is wise, yet the wise man knoweth himself to be a fool"

"He who commands the past, commands the future. He who commands the future, commands the past."
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Uberpuzzler

Sorry Goose, it's time to buzz a tower.

Email

Re: Jedi Religion!  
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28th, 2006, 9:22pm »

Every time I think humanity can get any weirder we go and top ourselves once again.  Imagine what another civilization who stumbled onto us would think.  I'm pretty sure there is some kind of quarantine around our solar system to make sure no one accidentally wanders into the idiot zone.
IP Logged

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei
flamingdragon
Uberpuzzler

flamingdragon532
Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 28th, 2006, 9:25pm »

LOL, I think a jedi religion is cool.

Think about it, there much better than scientologists.
IP Logged

"He who commands the past, commands the future. He who commands the future, commands the past."
Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #3 on: Nov 29th, 2006, 5:20am »

Somehow, I think if I am going to believe in something, it shouldn't be the obvious invention of some hack sci fi writer.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
flamingdragon
Uberpuzzler

flamingdragon532
Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 29th, 2006, 7:08am »

lol
IP Logged

towr
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #5 on: Nov 29th, 2006, 8:29am »

on Nov 29th, 2006, 5:20am, Icarus wrote:
Somehow, I think if I am going to believe in something, it shouldn't be the obvious invention of some hack sci fi writer.
Yeah, if I wanted to be part of a made up religion, I'd go with Discordianism.

It might be good as an ideal(?), but not as an actual faith.
« Last Edit: Nov 29th, 2006, 8:32am by towr » IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Ghost Sniper
Senior Riddler

Do not hide. It is useless.

« Reply #6 on: Jan 15th, 2007, 5:00pm »

*smacks self on head*

I am not making fun of them, and It does not matter to me what they want to practice. But I think they should ask themselves, "am I doing this for real or is this just a joke for me?"
IP Logged

*sob* I miss my mommy... *blows nose* huh, I'm on? oh right.

(thinks to self) Time for my speech to these college kids.

"Reason is more important than all emotions..."
CowsRUs

Why is it that cats are better then cows? Why not?

« Reply #7 on: Feb 8th, 2007, 4:24pm »

If I'd believe in a religion, I wouldn't believe in the scam Christianity... well no offense... I just like to badmouth the most common groups etc... Grin
IP Logged

"It is very good to have a brother who has a cow. It is also good to have a brother who has two cows. In fact, a brother with a cow is great, except when he has exactly 135 cows and is one of thecow himself."-Unknown
CowsRUs

Why is it that cats are better then cows? Why not?

« Reply #8 on: Feb 8th, 2007, 4:24pm »

oh yea... and the video isn't there no more... am I supposed to use le Force or whatHuh
And i would choose the Dark Side.
IP Logged

"It is very good to have a brother who has a cow. It is also good to have a brother who has two cows. In fact, a brother with a cow is great, except when he has exactly 135 cows and is one of thecow himself."-Unknown
BNC
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #9 on: Feb 12th, 2007, 1:08pm »

on Feb 8th, 2007, 4:24pm, CowsRUs wrote:
oh yea... and the video isn't there no more... am I supposed to use le Force or whatHuh
And i would choose the Dark Side.

Strange... it is there, but the link does not work.

Maybe this one will

[edit]
Curiouser and curiouser! It doesn't...
here's the text (I hope it doesn't violate any copyright rules -- the link with full credit is here)
Quote:

Pair Use The Force For Jedi Religion Thursday November 16, 10:29 AM  

Two self-styled Jedi Knights are stepping up an intergalactic campaign for formal recognition. Umada and Yunyun, also known as John Wilkinson and Charlotte Law, want the UN to acknowledge "The Force" is worthy of being called a religion. The couple claim to be part of the UK's fourth largest religious group, after 400,000 people recorded their faith as "Jedi" in the 2001 Census.

They say that as a religion, they deserve tolerance and respect. November the 16th is the annual International  

(Advertisement)
Day for Tolerance.

And as part of a global battle worthy of Luke Skywalker's efforts against the Empire, the band of self-styled Jedis want the UN to re-name the day as Interstellar Day of Tolerance.

More people claim their religion to be Jedi in England and Wales than those who follow Sikhism, Judaism and Buddhism. And the cause has global support.

There are also 70,000 Jedi knights in Australia, 53,000 in New Zealand, and 20,000 in Canada.

This is Umada and Yunyun's letter to the UN Association:

To whom it may concern,

For the last ten years the United Nations has marked today as the International Day of Tolerance.

While we support this important work, we feel the UN needs to move with the times.  

In the 2001 UK census, 390,000 people identified themselves as Jedi Knights, making us the fourth largest religion in the country.  

We have a proud heritage dating back 195,000 years to our first Jedi, the blue haired, blue eyed Kaja Sinis, who was born on Coruscant.  

Like the United Nations, the Jedi Knights are peacekeepers, and we feel we have the basic right to express our religion through wearing our robes, and to be recognised by the national and international community.

We therefore call upon you to change the 16th November to the United Nations Interstellar Day of Tolerance, to reflect the religious make-up of our twenty-first century civilization.

Tolerance is about respecting difference where ever it lies, including other galaxies. Please don't exclude us from your important work.

May the Force be with you.
« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2007, 1:13pm by BNC » IP Logged

How about supercalifragilisticexpialidociouspuzzler [Towr, 2007]
JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #10 on: Feb 16th, 2007, 5:51pm »

Something I just thought up recently, related to this topic. Are lightsabers technically possible ? Could we manufacture one in the near future ? Just thought it would be cool to have one..  

Grin
IP Logged

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Padfoot

« Reply #11 on: Feb 16th, 2007, 6:12pm »

I don't think you could make one like they have in the movies.  Mabye if you put a mirror at the end of it to reflect the light back into the handle it would be possible.  Huh No, then that would burn the handle!

Over all - I would say no.
IP Logged

"Don't blame me. I'm just an interpreter. I'm not supposed to know a power socket from a computer terminal." - C-3PO, Star WarsV
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #12 on: Feb 16th, 2007, 9:30pm »

No. Not only are they not possible in the short term, I've not even heard of anyone seriously speculating about a theory where something like a lightsaber would be possible. And physics wonks love to speculate about such things if they can spot even a whiff of them in the evidence. (I've heard numerous speculations about time travel and faster than light travel, for instance.)
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
Padfoot

« Reply #13 on: Feb 17th, 2007, 7:25am »

And even if they were possible, they wouldn't be very helpful as a weapon.

A lightsaber wouldn't stand a chance against, for example, a machine gun.
IP Logged

"Don't blame me. I'm just an interpreter. I'm not supposed to know a power socket from a computer terminal." - C-3PO, Star WarsV
JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #14 on: Feb 17th, 2007, 8:12am »

on Feb 17th, 2007, 7:25am, Padfoot wrote:
And even if they were possible, they wouldn't be very helpful as a weapon.

A lightsaber wouldn't stand a chance against, for example, a machine gun.

Why not ?  Wink
IP Logged

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

« Reply #15 on: Feb 17th, 2007, 5:51pm »

on Feb 17th, 2007, 8:12am, JiNbOtAk wrote:

Why not ?  Wink

It depends on how much scatter the machine gun has, but you're effectively trying to get a line (the lightsaber) to cover a 2D region (a cross section of the scatter cone of the gun) - you might be able to get a lot of the bullets (with luck or "the Force"), but it only takes one to ruin your day...

I heard a rumour that Lightsabers were originally going to be mono-filament swords (which are plausible - about the time we get the technology sorted to build a space elevator), but they decided to go for something more visually dramatic...
IP Logged
BNC
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #16 on: Feb 19th, 2007, 1:47am »

on Feb 16th, 2007, 9:30pm, Icarus wrote:
No. Not only are they not possible in the short term, I've not even heard of anyone seriously speculating about a theory where something like a lightsaber would be possible. And physics wonks love to speculate about such things if they can spot even a whiff of them in the evidence. (I've heard numerous speculations about time travel and faster than light travel, for instance.)

From here

MODEL ZERO: Monofilament chain
 There is one idea that has arisen from time to time, and deserves an answer. The idea is that the lightsabre blade is in fact a monofilament strand (possibly suspended in some sort of field) vibrating fiercely .. that the hum is the vibration of the filament.  
<snip>

MODEL ONE: Tightly focussed field
Kevin Mebane from Ohio, has proposed the following:  

The STARWARS universe has clearly developed sophisticated techniques to generate force fields for a variety of purposes (ray-shielding, particle-shielding, etc).  A lightsabre may consist of an incredibly small force field generator that creates a force field that has only 1 dimension, length.  This field, having zero width and depth, may incorporate the best aspects of ray-shielding and particle-shielding, so that it can not only reflect blaster bolts, but with sufficient momentum it can cut through matter.  
<snip>

MODEL TWO: Arc 'fold-back' electromagnetic 'waterfall' - from WEG
 WestEndGames make a confused claim. Firstly, they portray a thoroughly OPTICAL model of jeweled lenses and focal lengths, but then they present a more coherent and potentially valid argument.  
<snip>

MODEL THREE: Field-contained substance
An important notion to consider is the idea of a field-contained 'plasmoid' type substance. Imagine that a 'plasmoid' is generated but then HELD in place by a blade-shaped force field. We know from the Endor shield in RoTJ that STARWARS can generate bizarre and complex shields that can hold to non-simple geometry's - the idea of a blade shaped field is far from impossible.  
<snip>

MODEL FOUR: Self-containing substance
Mr Curtis Saxton, an astrophysicist from Sydney University, Australia, prefers the idea of a substance which exhibits exotic behaviours of its own accord. NOTE: He strongly objects to the word plasma, since the substance he envisages is far different from a mundane terrestrial stream of disassociated atoms! (but I have no alternative single-word with which to describe the blade's 'substance' - so please understand that 'plasma' is a STAND-IN for something that as yet, has no name).  
<snip>

[To be continued]
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2007, 1:47am by BNC » IP Logged

BNC
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #17 on: Feb 19th, 2007, 1:49am »

[continued]
MODEL FIVE: Field assisted, self-containing substance
This model is a blend of (compromise between) the field and the self-contained models. It proposes that the 'plasmoid' is essentially a self-constraining meta-unity substance, but that it requires some external influence to help maintain its blade shape. Perhaps a field effect is generated as a framework for the 'plasmoid' to cling to ... perhaps the field sits at the core of the blade spinning (or similar) like a rotor, to provide gyroscopic angular inertia - which assist in retaining rigidity of the blade through rapid movements.  
<snip>  

MODEL SIX: virtual light produced from a spinning field surface
The idea & physics behind, this model supplied by the incredible Mr Albert Forge.  
This model is similar to model five, but is FAR more solidly based in REAL physics, and is a FAR better match for the observed sabre (and blaster) behaviours! It provides a theoretical answer to ''where does the 'stuff' of the blade come from'' *AND* actually NEEDS both a fields AND rotation!  

According to astrophysicist Yakov Borisovich Zel'dovich, a rapidly spinning conductor will cause the creation of virtual particle radiation at its surface. Particle production is controlled by the charge, angular velocity (of rotation) and radius of this charged conductor.  

If we imagine a rod shaped charged field of atomic-scale cross-section, which is superconducting and rotating at near-lightspeed, then charge regulation becomes the control for the particle emission type and quantity. Such charged fields would tend to repel one-another (if they are of like polarity), which means the blades would BLOCK one another.  

NOTE: a sabre would have to be built carefully and tuned correctly! A badly adjusted sabre would subject its user (and everyone in range) with considerable amounts of gamma radiation!.  

The glow of the sabre blade consists of virtual-photons energised by the rotating field into real photons ... virtual light make real! The opaque 'thumb-thick' blade shape may be a swirl of ionised atmospheric particles (the AIR) drawn in and swirling about the core. When you IONISE a gas, you actually have a PLASMA (as it is meant by terrestrial physics) ... and this would glow JUST LIKE A FLUORESCENT TUBE (which is ALSO a plasma!) ... BUT this thumb-thick plasma zone is merely a by-product ... the REAL cutting is performed by minuscule core of the true blade ... leaving almost microscopically thin cuts. (The blade would STILL glow fiercely in even in a vacuum, as it throws off 'virtual photons - made real' ... but the thumb-thick core may not be visible.)  

Such a tight rapidly spinning charged superconducting field would rend (tear) through most matter by stripping off electrons which bind atoms together. The ionized matter about the 'cut', as well as field-excited atomic movement in the localized area of the 'cut', would mimic great point-of-contact heat. A wound to a soft-tissue organic being would appear to be a microscopically thin BURN - and such a wound would usually tend to be cauterized (depending on how slowly the blade passed through - a large blood vessel cut too quickly may not be sufficiently 'burned' to cauterize).  

Dense metals which have loosely bound electrons (which are free to wander about their lattice structure) would be more resistant to cutting. The 'atom stripping' effect would take a little longer to cut through, because such materials have more electrons 'to spare' before their lattice structure becomes 'torn'. Metals are also more highly conductive, and the localized 'heat' effects are minimized because the heat is carried away and dispersed through the material more quickly.  

This means that even though with varying amounts of effort, a lightsabre could cut through virtually anything, some materials would offer more resistance to a sabre blade, and therefore we can now understand how Lord Vader's armour was able to ward off most of Luke's glancing blow, saving his life.  

<snip>  

[NOTE: Mr Forge would like to say that all the above, which having its roots in 'real' physics, is speculative, and must be taken with "several solar masses of sodium chloride" *grin* ... IMHO however, it is a VASTLY more consistent and believable model than any other. It just 'could' possibly work! *AND* it matches ALL the observed and ascribed conditions!]  

IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »