wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Confederacy of Indifference? »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 5:35am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   general
   truth
(Moderators: SMQ, Eigenray, ThudnBlunder, towr, Icarus, william wu, Grimbal)
   Confederacy of Indifference?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Confederacy of Indifference?  (Read 3942 times)
honkyboy

Confederacy of Indifference?  
« on: Jul 7th, 2004, 2:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

There are surely questions that will be asked and answered repeatedly for generations.  So here's one that will be asked again and has been before.
    Is apathy becoming epidemic?  I observe that people are becoming less concerned with matters that affect the course of their lives.  Not only things that can be detrimental to just society and culture, but also to themselves personally.  
    I don't mean to say that I would feel more comfortable if there were more protests, or less heartless criminals.  There will always be people whos actions are indefensible.  
    I live in a small town in the southern U.S. with wonderful people, but it seems to me that the ends and the means don't line up as well as they used to.  Many friends and coworkers of mine don't see the importance of a stable environment for a child to grow up.  I know alot of mothers who are content to get a state child support check as long as they don't have to see the father.  Fathers I know feel that they are not remiss in care of their child simply because of a reduction in the bottom line of their paychecks.  Intelligent good hearted people around me are having any hope of a better life ruined by alcohol or drug use.  HIV has become pandemic through lack of simple prevention.  When there is concern about an issue, people seem to find something to blame and not realize that the undesirable positon they're in is usually a result of a series of bad choices.  Its all ilogical to me, and I don't remember such things always being commonplace.  
    I realize that what I 'observe' through my own experiences is likely not a good representation of the world as a whole, but it's all I have to work with at the moment.  

Possible answers I've thought of:
- These are the ways of the world and the people in it, I just  
   never cared enough before to notice. What a hypocrit I am!
-  Who the heck am I to judge anyone.  I'm far from perfect,  
   and was overprivileged from the start.  What a shmuck!
-  My little town is such a poor representation of the world  
   itself that my 'observation' mean diddly. What an ego!
-  The world will change, people change, deal with things not  
   always being status quo. What a whiner!
-  Yes cultural purity is slowly being degraded by a lack of  
   apathy.  

I don't know the answer and have always been a fan of standard truths about life, love, physics, people anything.  I would like to hear what others thoughts are about situations around the globe.

** - I am new to this site and would like to thank all those who have made it possible and contribute.  Imagine that, the internet being used by people all around the world to comunicate, solve problems, educate, and help one another.  Maybe I just answered my queston **
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: Confederacy of Indifference?  
« Reply #1 on: Jul 8th, 2004, 1:04am »

on Jul 7th, 2004, 2:06pm, honkyboy wrote:
   Possible answers I've thought of:
- These are the ways of the world and the people in it, I just  
   never cared enough before to notice. What a hypocrit I am!
I wouldn't necessarily say you're a hypocrit (at least not in the sense that it is bad to be one, it is human to be one, and possibly necessary for survival) But I do think it's pretty much always been this way.
As they say, "The more things change, the more things stay the same"

Quote:
-  Yes cultural purity is slowly being degraded by a lack of  
   apathy.
"Cultural purity" can't exist, or can't not exist, either one will do. Culture changes, it's in it's nature. If it wasn't we'd still be living in trees, or walking around naked on the savannas hunting zebras.. Culture evolves, and 'cultural purity' is as unnatural as 'genetic purity'. Diversity is necessary (in both cases) to deal with a changing world, espescially when it changes beyond our control (rather than due to our apathy, like in the case of environmental pullution)

Why be apathic? Because you can't care about everything without killing yourself, or at least without giving up anything resembling a life (which is the same thing many ways)
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

The dewdrop slides into the shining Sea

« Reply #2 on: Aug 24th, 2004, 11:46am »

Quote:
Is apathy becoming epidemic?

Definitely. I used to be able to finish my sentences but now I

By the way, Honkyboy, if you can be bothered please pass it on that last month's meeting of the Apathy Society has just been cancelled.  

« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2004, 11:47am by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

« Reply #3 on: Aug 25th, 2004, 5:29am »

There was a persistent rumour around Cambridge while I was there of an Apathy Society. The only known rules were that anyone who actually turned up for a meeting (let alone bothered to arrange one) was automatically kicked out, and similarly, anyone showing too much initiative in attempting to find out about the society is likewise expelled, and everyone is a member unless they get kicked out.

On the other hand, no-one admits to knowing how the rules are enforced.
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #4 on: Aug 25th, 2004, 7:29am »

on Aug 25th, 2004, 5:29am, rmsgrey wrote:
Supposedly they don't much care to enforce the rules.. Or knowing the rules for that matter.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
John_Gaughan
Uberpuzzler

Behold, the power of cheese!

5187759 5187759   john23874   SnowmanJTG
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Sep 2nd, 2004, 11:02am »

This reminds me of the Voter Apathy Party from Futurama. Fry joins up and is happy, so he's kicked out. Then he says that sucks, so is invited back. I remember watching that and thinking that is the party most people in this country belong to. I am not apathetic, just pessimistic.
IP Logged

x = (0x2B | ~0x2B)
x == the_question
OnlyAnEgg

« Reply #6 on: Dec 23rd, 2004, 6:05am »

Wink   I was going to join that outfit, but got distracted as I was looking up the schedule for the 1999 Procrastinator's Convention.

Happy New Year to all !
IP Logged
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #7 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 7:40am »

on Sep 2nd, 2004, 11:02am, John_Gaughan wrote:
This reminds me of the Voter Apathy Party from Futurama. Fry joins up and is happy, so he's kicked out. Then he says that sucks, so is invited back. I remember watching that and thinking that is the party most people in this country belong to. I am not apathetic, just pessimistic.

Rumour has it that Cambridge University has an apathy society - but attempting to find out about it is sufficiently un-apathetic to bar you from membership...
IP Logged
BNC
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #8 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 8:04am »

on Feb 22nd, 2007, 7:40am, rmsgrey wrote:

Rumour has it that Cambridge University has an apathy society - but attempting to find out about it is sufficiently un-apathetic to bar you from membership...

Apathy or amnesia?  Tongue

on Aug 25th, 2004, 5:29am, rmsgrey wrote:
There was a persistent rumour around Cambridge while I was there of an Apathy Society. The only known rules were that anyone who actually turned up for a meeting (let alone bothered to arrange one) was automatically kicked out, and similarly, anyone showing too much initiative in attempting to find out about the society is likewise expelled, and everyone is a member unless they get kicked out.

IP Logged

How about supercalifragilisticexpialidociouspuzzler [Towr, 2007]
BNC
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #9 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 8:06am »

Or maybe amnesia?  Grin
IP Logged

How about supercalifragilisticexpialidociouspuzzler [Towr, 2007]
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #10 on: Feb 23rd, 2007, 6:35am »

*shrugs* So two and a half years later, I couldn't be bothered to read the whole of the thread...

Oh well...
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »