wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - help on writing a paper »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 11:51am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   general
   wanted
(Moderators: ThudnBlunder, Icarus, SMQ, Grimbal, Eigenray, towr, william wu)
   help on writing a paper
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: help on writing a paper  (Read 9042 times)
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

help on writing a paper  
« on: Jan 19th, 2004, 8:19am »

I need to write a paper on a project I'm doing, but I don't really have an idea of how to start, nor how to continue if by some miracle I ever do get started..  
I was wondering if anyone had any helpfull tips or ideas.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
BNC
Uberpuzzler

Re: help on writing a paper  
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19th, 2004, 8:58am »

When I write papers, I start by deciding on a general structure (e.g., the section headers).

Next I write the "body" of the work (it's easiest for me, cause it desribes what I just did). The summary comes next.

I then go for the literature scan, in order to produce a comprehensive introduction.

The last thing is the abstract.

One important thing is to decide on the journal you plan to publish at -- each may require different emphsis, specific formating, etc. -- it's a shame finishing the work just to realise you have to re-do some of it.

Hope it helps.
IP Logged

How about supercalifragilisticexpialidociouspuzzler [Towr, 2007]
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #2 on: Jan 19th, 2004, 9:35am »

I don't have to publish it (thank god), so that's not a problem. It's supposed to be for written for my peers, which would be (theoretically Wink) other university students in/near my field.

The main problem is that whenever I try to write anything I'll go sit in front of a computer, and at the end of the day I'll have as much as I had before I started, nothing.. My innate hatred of writing doesn't really help much there either..
And unlike some other papers I've written this one doesn't really offer the option to introduce it by writing about how much I hate writing (it).. (Not in the last place because it needs at least a smidgen of scientific standard)
« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2004, 9:36am by towr » IP Logged

Icarus
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #3 on: Jan 19th, 2004, 6:21pm »

The best I can suggest (it isn't much) is to pretend you are just describing it to someone casually and write out informally what you would say. Then you take that as a basis for your rough draft. Leave the order the same but decide what you ought to include and throw out. For that, I try to put myself in the place of the listener and see what seems to be sensible, what seems confusing, and what appears to be "much ado about nothing". Next pull out a few highpoints and build the summary/abstract around them, restating them.

Now I plow through and try to rewrite the whole thing, ignoring if it doesn't sound good, and just throwing everything I want to say out there.

If I still have the will to continue (I too hate writing, though one would doubt it from the amount I do), I reread and try to tighten up sentences, fix points here, there and yonder. I keep doing this until the nice men in the white coats arrive and give me one too, though their tailor always gets the sleeves too long and puts buckles in the weirdest places... When I get back from my rest, I submit the result, regardless of how I feel about it (which is always that a kindergartner could have done a better job).
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
aero_guy
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 21st, 2004, 1:24pm »

I absolutely loathe technical writing but I am currently fixing a paper that just came back from peer review before publication, putting the final touches on another I am about to submit, and roughing together a third (you do a lot of publishing at the end of your dissertation), so I feel qualified to talk about it.

The key to making it bearable and making it good is to tell a story, much like Icarus said.  I start by gathering all of the general information I want to convey, this is generally in the form of figures.  Next I decide on a logical way to order things so that it comes out as a story that builds on itself.  When I have all the figures arranged how I want them I write a skeleton that contains the hard numbers integrated with references to the figures.

Next I "fill in the blanks".  I tell the story represented by all the numbers.  Conclusions and abstract get done after you see what the rest of the paper looks like and introduction is a seperate animal.

ANYTHING looks more important and more interesting than having to do this.  I have been known to decide it was time to clean then gunk off every key on the keyboard when I am stuck doing it.  I feel for you.  What is it on?
IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #5 on: Jan 21st, 2004, 2:44pm »

The current working title is
"discovering inference rules from dutch text", it's basicly copying what was done in "discovering inference rules from text" but for dutch instead of english text..
So my instinct on the report is basicly one line
"I did what they did <insert reference>, but for dutch text"
Somehow I have to blow that up to 10 or 50 pages (I hope it's the former, but fear it's the latter amount)

The title probably isn't that informative..
So what does 'discovering inference rules from text' mean, is probably what you're wondering..  
It has to do with question answering. The goal here is that given some sort database you can enter full questions, rather then a list of disjoint keywords, and you get your answers.
My part in it is finding a sort of paraphrases for parts of sentences. For instance finding that "X wrote Y" means essentially the same as "Y's author, X"
This supposedly helps in a case where someone asks "who wrote Y" when the only answer in the database says "X, the author of Y, drove off a cliff"  

Wether it actually work in a system is anybodies guess.. Most results as far as I'm concerned look like rubish, but my advisors don't seem displeased with it.

One bright spot since I started this topic, I have something vaguely resembling an intro. Which means I actually started, well, almost actually Tongue
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2004, 2:46pm by towr » IP Logged

John_Gaughan
Uberpuzzler

Behold, the power of cheese!

5187759 5187759   john23874   SnowmanJTG
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 22nd, 2004, 6:02am »

How about you start with an introduction to the original topic, then delve into the grammatical differences between the two languages. Then talk about how you had to modify the algorithm to account for these differences. You could also write a section on the similarities and how that helps.
IP Logged

x = (0x2B | ~0x2B)
x == the_question
John_Gaughan
Uberpuzzler

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 22nd, 2004, 6:04am »

Writing really isn't all that difficult, it's just tedious.

Think about it like eating your vegetables when you were young. If you just do it and get it over with, you can grab a beer and relax, rather than sitting there at the table playing with your food when  you'd much rather be out playing.
IP Logged

x = (0x2B | ~0x2B)
x == the_question
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #8 on: Jan 22nd, 2004, 6:21am »

on Jan 22nd, 2004, 6:02am, John_Gaughan wrote:
then delve into the grammatical differences between the two languages.
Then I'd first have to find out what they are  Roll Eyes

Quote:
Then talk about how you had to modify the algorithm to account for these differences.
It pretty much worked as is, it's just following a statistical recipy.

I don't really have the idea that I actually did much.. And that makes it difficult for me to report as though I have..
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2004, 6:43am by towr » IP Logged

John_Gaughan
Uberpuzzler

WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 22nd, 2004, 6:28am »

on Jan 22nd, 2004, 6:21am, towr wrote:
I don't really have the idea that I actually did much.. And that makes it difficult for me to report as though I have..

Be honest then. Maybe the boss doesn't want it but oh well. For me it's a moral issue. That's why I would never go far as a businessman, lawyer, or politician. Math and science is about truth, or at least what we accept as truth because we cannot prove the obvious, e.g. an axiom.

Anyway, I have a feeling that your paper will be about one page long Smiley
IP Logged

x = (0x2B | ~0x2B)
x == the_question
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #10 on: Jan 22nd, 2004, 6:43am »

on Jan 22nd, 2004, 6:28am, John_Gaughan wrote:
Writing really isn't all that difficult, it's just tedious.
It's both. Actually, it's more the former than the latter even (I don't mind it too much if I'm well on my way). If it was just writing anything, than sure, it might only be tedious.. But I don't think they'll accept "I am a fish" written 300 times. Besides I'm not Arnold J Rimmer..

Quote:
Think about it like eating your vegetables when you were young.
Hmm.. yes.. When your body has a sufficiently high antipathy against brussel sprouts that you almost start vomitting trying to choke one down, I think it's good sense not to try that again.. And I never have..

Quote:
Be honest then. Maybe the boss doesn't want it but oh well.
I don't think I will have much of a chance of ever graduating from university if this project doesn't get at least a passing mark. There isn't really enough time to do another one.. So I'm pretty much stuck with it..

Quote:
Anyway, I have a feeling that your paper will be about one page long Smiley
well, there's the title page, a reference page, a table of content page, and maybe even some content, so that's at leats 4 Wink
IP Logged

usdragonfly

i'm actually from the states, but i'm military!

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 25th, 2004, 10:17am »

since you hate writing, type it out as you think of what you want to say! then once you have it all put together and just how you want it write down what you have typed!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »