wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Weighted Singular Value Decomposition »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 10:13am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   general
   wanted
(Moderators: Icarus, SMQ, towr, william wu, Grimbal, ThudnBlunder, Eigenray)
   Weighted Singular Value Decomposition
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Weighted Singular Value Decomposition  (Read 4026 times)
teekyman

Weighted Singular Value Decomposition  
« on: Aug 26th, 2008, 11:31am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

So although I am not a desperate information mongerer, I am running into some difficulties with my own research and am wondering if any of you guys might be able to help. At least some of you, I bet, are mathy graduate studenty researchy types, and you might know a bit about Singular Value Decomposition.

The basic idea is given an nxm matrix M, you want to find matrices U(nxn),S(nxm),V(mxm) s.t. USV = M, S is Diagonal (And the diagonal entries are in decreasing order, preferably), and U and V are orthogonal. Its useful for finding optimal low-rank approximations to larger matrices, where the approximation error is measured by the sum of the errors squared.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_value_decomposition

Although there is plenty of information on the interwebs about regular singular value decomposition, I'm trying to implement some solutions to the weighted variant, where you try to minimize a weighted sum of the errors squared. This time along with a matrix M, you are also given a similiarly sized matrix W.

I've modified some SVD algorithms to try to deal with weighted SVD, but after looking around a bunch, I can't even find a reference algorithm or software package that I can test mine against. I'm doing this for a start-up company and not a university, so I don't have access to hoards and hoards of papers either :/ If any of you happen to know where I could look for any info, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!  Kiss
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »