Re: Operation Politically Homeless

George J. Lee (gjlee@uclink4.berkeley.edu)
05 Dec 1997 13:57:38 -0800

schoen@uclink4.Berkeley.EDU (Seth David Schoen) writes:

> George J. Lee writes:
>
> >I'm willing to contribute some money for this if other people think
> >it's a good idea. It's not that there aren't any libertarians out
> >there, it's just that 95% of the students at Berkeley don't have the
> >slightest clue what a libertarian is. I'm sure there are thousands of
> >students who may be interested in our ideas; we just need to get our
> >message out in a positive manner. How are we ever going to build a
> >strong, loyal membership base if no one knows who we are?
>
> I'd be glad to participate in an Operation Politically Homeless as long as
> it's not too manipulative.  (Is there anything a little more direct and
> a little less rosy than the WSPQ?)

I understand what you're saying, but I think it's a good approach. I
don't think it's manipulative. The WSPQ helps us identify potential
members quickly in a fun way. The idea is to get people's attention
first. If they're interested in libertarianism, then we can get
serious. For those who don't agree with us, at least they get a good
impression of us.

> I'm still interested in organizing some kind of debates with non-libertarian
> groups.  I think that would be a good thing.

That would be great. We should try to contact some other groups and
see if they're interested.

--
George J. Lee

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquence. It is force. Like fire,
it is a dangerous servant and a fearsome master." --George Washington