Re: Mayoral race

Kevin Dempsey Peterson (peterson@ocf.Berkeley.EDU)
Sun, 8 Feb 1998 19:50:14 -0800

On 8 Feb 1998, Daniel C. Burton wrote:

>Of course not, but the sidewalk isn't his property.  It's the property of
>the city.  You don't have the right to keep people from walking on it or
>appropriate it for your own use.

I'm not sure of this.  Whatever the deed says, though, we're better off
with sidewalks, like streets, being public property (or owned by a
separate agency, which also owns the street).  It's a better solution
than having it owned by the business owner, with numerous restrictions.

>I'm speculating that if Mayor Dean is willing to limit freedoms on public
>land, she's also willing to do so on private property.  She did, after all,
>support the smoking ban in Berkeley, which will by the way remain in effect
>even if they can repeal the statewide one.
>
>Since almost everyone seems to support things like smoking bans and all
>sorts of violations of individual rights, it's probably not a good idea for
>us to support anyone.  In fact, I'm leaning towards endorsing "none of the
>above."  At least low voter turnout is interpreted as a sign that
>something's wrong.

Screw low voter turn out -- write in "None of the Above".  Not voting
leaves it unclear why people didn't vote.  A write in (for anyone) is a
clear indication that you care who is in office, but don't like any of
the options.  Besides, Dean 40% what's her name 35% other 25% would be a
good encouragement for anyone else who is considering running.

I voted lessor of the two evils last election.  This is pointless -- the
slime don't know they aren't wanted.  If I can't find anyone who I
actually agree with (at least mostly), I'll be voting "Zippy the
Pinhead" for most offices.  (Find teh reference to voting for Zippy and
win a Scooby Snack.)

-Kevin