I'm Garret Christensen. I received my economics PhD from UC Berkeley in 2011. I am presently an economist with the US Census Bureau. Before that I was a project scientist with the Berkeley Initiative for Transparency in the Social Sciences and a Data Science Fellow with the Berkeley Institute for Data Science.
Select Working Papers
- "Open Science Practices are on the Rise: The State of Social Science (3S) Survey" with Zenan Wang, Elizabeth Levy Paluck, Nicholas Swanson, David Birke, Edward Miguel, and Rebecca Littman. Under review.
- "Local Food Prices and the Purchasing Power of SNAP Benefits" with Erin Bronchetti. Revise and Resubmit.
- "Local Food Prices and Nutrition in SNAP Households" with Erin Bronchetti and Benjamin Hansen.
- Transparent and Reproducible Social Science Research, with Ted Miguel and Jeremy Freese. UC Press, 2019.
Recent Published Papers
- "Research Transparency is on the Rise in Economics" with Nicholas Swanson, Rebecca Littman, David Birke, Edward Miguel, Elizabeth Levy Paluck, and Zenan Wang. Forthcoming in AEA Papers and Proceedings.
- "A study of the impact of data sharing on article citations using journal policies as a natural experiment" with Allan Dafoe, Edward Miguel, Don A. Moore, and Andrew K. Rose. 18 December 2019. PLOS One.
- "Local Food Prices, SNAP Purchasing Power, and Child Health" [Ungated] with Erin Bronchetti and Hilary Hoynes. December 2019. Journal of Health Economics. (Also see data visualization.)
- "Many Analysts, One Dataset: Making transparent how variations in analytical choice affect results" with R. Silberzahn, E.L. Uhlmann, D.P. Martin, B. A. Nosek et al. 23 August 2018. Advances in Methods and Practices in Psychological Science.
- "Transparency, Reproducibility, and the Credibility of Economics Research" with Ted Miguel. September 2018. Journal of Economic Literature. Earlier version released as NBER WP 22989.
- "Occupational Fatalities and the Labor Supply: Evidence from the Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan" July 2017. Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization.
- Full Research Page
- Software Carpentry-certified Instructor
- Instructor, Department of Economics, UC Berkeley: Labor Economics (Summer 2015)
- Instructor, Department of Economics, University of San Francisco: Development Microeconomics (Spring 2015)
- Stata Instructor, D-Lab, UC Berkeley (Fall 2014, Spring 2015)
- Full Teaching Page