I'm Garret Christensen. I received my economics PhD from UC Berkeley in 2011. I am presently an economist with the US Census Bureau. Before that I was a project scientist with the Berkeley Initiative for Transparency in the Social Sciences and a Data Science Fellow with the Berkeley Institute for Data Science.
Select Working Papers
- "Local Food Prices, SNAP Purchasing Power, and Child Health" with Erin Bronchetti and Hilary Hoynes. (Job Market Paper, also see data visualization.)
- "Are SNAP Benefits Adequate for Purchasing a Healthy Diet? Evidence on Geographic Variation in Food Prices and the Purchasing Power of SNAP" with Erin Bronchetti. Under review at Journal of Policy Analysis and Management. (Appendix Tables)
- "Local Food Prices and Nutrition in SNAP Households" with Erin Bronchetti and Benjamin Hansen.
Recent Published Papers
- "Many Analysts, One Dataset: Making transparent how variations in analytical choice affect results" with R. Silberzahn, E.L. Uhlmann, D.P. Martin, B. A. Nosek et al. 23 August 2018. Advances in Methods and Practices in Psychological Science.
- "Transparency, Reproducibility, and the Credibility of Economics Research" with Ted Miguel. September 2018. Journal of Economic Literature. Earlier version released as NBER WP 22989.
- "Occupational Fatalities and the Labor Supply: Evidence from the Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan" July 2017. Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization.
- "Conservative Tests under Satisficing Models of Publication Bias" with Justin McCrary and Daniele Fanelli. PLoS ONE. 22 February 2016. 11(2): e0149590. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0149590.
- "Promoting an Open Research Culture: Author guidelines for journals to promote transparency, openness, and reproducibility" with Brian Nosek et al. Science. 26 June 2015. Vol 348 no. 6242 pp 1422-1425.
- Full Research Page
- Software Carpentry-certified Instructor
- Instructor, Department of Economics, UC Berkeley: Labor Economics (Summer 2015)
- Instructor, Department of Economics, University of San Francisco: Development Microeconomics (Spring 2015)
- Stata Instructor, D-Lab, UC Berkeley (Fall 2014, Spring 2015)
- Full Teaching Page