New pleasures are added to the top of the list, so the oldest ones are at
the bottom. Pleasures without names have been submitted anonymously from the
Internet. The last 94 of these came from a forward entitled "Natural Highs,"
so I didn't write them. I hope that this page makes your day a little
Back to Walter Rader's home page.
The continuation of this page depends on your contributions. The purpose
of this page is to make a list of as many simple pleasures as possible. If
you've read the list, then you know that anything, no matter how simple, is
welcome. To submit a simple pleasure, mail me at email@example.com.
If you want your name and/or age to appear after your entry, be sure to
mail that as well.
- When you are in the arms of your boyfriend and you feel totally safe and then he kisses you on the forehead and you feel like you’re flying high above the world and it will never end. Amy, 19
- Looking at old pictures. Chrissy, 18
- Finding a good old friend after way too long and wondering what might have been... Jessica Jackson, 19
- Feeling a reciprocated feeling of love and appreciation as you are greeted by a
friend in the dreary hallways of your impersonal high school. Emmala, 16
- My mother FINALLY getting on the Internet! Denise, 39
- Being somebody important in someone elses life. Annelise Maire, 16
- Crying because you're so happy Annelise Marie
- Being recognized for the right thing. Annelise Marie
- Being told you have the most beautiful eyes. Annelise Marie
- Going to a party and tons of friends shout your name and come give you hugs as you walk in. Annelise Marie
- Realizing how beautiful you really are.
- Silly projects that you do because you want to.
- Realizing you have done the right thing no matter how badly it hurts.
- Realizing that being a guy and living a guy's life really is a great thing to be and do. Patrick, 50
- Finishing an article or writing project. Patrick
- Spending time with my girlfriend. Jared, 14
- Paddling out at the crack of dawn on an over head day with no one around. Jaime, 17
- Going to your girlfriends play and turning to your friend to say, "That's my girl." Bret
- The comfortable silence between the closest of friends. Devienne
- Watching the snow creep slowly over the mountains from my room. Devienne
- Rising before sunrise to ride horses. Devienne
- Soft pajamas. (Need I say more?) Jamie, 20
- Knowing that no matter how bad your day was your friends will be there to pick you back up again. Mandah, 15
- Kissing your boyfriend for the first time. Krissy
- Knowing that if anything goes wrong your boyfriend is there for you. Krissy
- Going on your first date. Krissy
- Laughing so hard with your best friend that you end up crying. Cari, 16
- The sound of natural running water. Sabah, 19
- Finally getting to know that the girl likes you not because of looks or what you can give them, but for who you are. Jake S., 15
- Watching your kids sleep (finally) after a long day. Sandra
- Watching a fortune in stock options - and years of overwork - vaporize overnight... Then watching them
rise to an all-time high after the market decides your company is an Internet play! Mhkicken, 34
- Sleeping under the stars at the beach with my boyfriend. Bethybu
- Watching my children on Christmas morning! Faith, 27
- Listening to the quiet rhythm of your breathing and appreciating the subtle beauty of things taken for granted. Robyn S., 47
- Learning that the one you love loves you back. Claudia, 15
- When someone brushes your hair, even when it doesn't need to be brushed. Jexy, 16
- Watching elk run in a herd though the valley between two mountains from above just before sunrise. Bryan, 19
- Seeing the Winters first snowfall on a bright moonlit night. Will Godwin, 18
- Sneaking out at night with the one you love. Angel, 18
- Being in love. Angel
- Receiving flowers from your boyfriend. Angel
- Having a star named after you by your boyfriend. Angel
- Watching children play. Angel
- Being kissed in the rain. Angel
- Waking up in the morning to find love letters on your window sill. Angel
- Having your boyfriend climb through your window "just to be with you". Angel
- Chocolate. Angel
- Dedicating a special love song on the radio, to someone that you love, knowing that they are listening. Angel
- Telling your parents that you love them. Angel
- Sending Valentines cards to people who think that no one likes them or to people that have low self-esteem. Angel
- Smiling at someone who looks as though they've had a rough day. Angel
- Thanking your mum for being your mum. Angel
- Telling your dying grandfather that you are proud of him and proud to be his granddaughter. Angel
- Remembering the past. Angel
- Taking a walk in the morning or after a rain shower. Chris, 16
- Sailing on the Mediterranian at sunset. Francesca, 18
- Knowing God is in control. Nikki, 17
- Watching trees sway. Reid, 22
- A brand new pair of socks. Hambone, 20
- A fleece sweater, warm from a dryer. Hambone, 20
- Telling people I'm going out while I really go and spend some time with my boyfriend. Dubsack, 15
- Talking to boys and chilling with my younger cousins. Dubsack
- Going out with a bunch of your best friends on halloween, trick-or-treating, and starting to sing
Christmas songs from the school chorus and having people look at you funny. Nicole, 13
- The moment when you're alone in the mountains and you realize that it is absoluteley silent. Jena, 20
- The way you feel when you turn on the radio to the Spanish station and the fiesta music just makes you
feel so silly but you can't help wanting to sing along. Jena
- When you're watching a movie and the big "on-the-spot" embarrasing scene rolls around and you feel like
it could be you. You just want to hide or roll over and die! Jena
- Looking down at a little baby, and having them smile and giggle when they see you. Kylie, 16
- Looking into your first love's eyes. Paul, 17
- Smelling rain. Brad, 14
- Thinking about everything that is wrong with your life while realizing that you wouldn't change it
for anything. Melissa, 15
- When you are all alone and the one you love calls you just because he wants to. Melissa
- When I babysit for my friend and his 4-year-old cousin would rather stay and play games with me than go
home with his parents. Tim, 14
- The feeling you get when your program finally compiles. Clint C. Vrazel, 19
- Teaching someone how to juggle. Clint C. Vrazel
- Dancing the way your parents and grandparents danced. Clint C. Vrazel
- Capturing a warm cat on your lap. Clint C. Vrazel
- Having the sequel to the great book you just finished. (Especially Robert
Jordan, Tolkien, Card, Friedman, and LeGuin.) Clint C. Vrazel
- Taking off your shoes, and if you can: feeling grass with your toes, climbing trees, catching fireflies
on warm summer nights. Clint C. Vrazel
- Slow-dancing at prom with your high school sweetheart. Clint C. Vrazel
- Learning a new song. Clint C. Vrazel
- Knowing that you are loved enough that you don't even need to be told it. Kimmie, 14
- Sitting outside in the country at night, where you can see every star, feel every breeze, and just
relax. Jean, 17
- Slowly savouring the first mouthfull of Guinness of the weekend, with live unamplified Irish music
playing. Niall, 38
- Home. Devienne, 20
- Floating the river in tubes with your best friend in the world. Devienne
- Going back to the daycare center I once worked at and being mobbed by the kids, who then cry when I have to leave again. Devienne
- Spending time with my best friend. Devienne
- Wearing my Papa's (Grandad) cowboy hat and jean jacket to go and ride his horse. Devienne
- Memories of my Grammy's hugs. Devienne
- To finally realize what your ultimate goal in life is. Daystar, 15
- Teaching your little 4 year-old cousin how to pick up 15 year-old girls. Anis ZArei, 15
- Watching my brothers box. Autumn, 14
- Watching the sun set from the beach in Hawaii. This truly is a paradise. Liz, 34
- Watching your children grow up and experiencing all there is in life to enjoy. Liz, 34
- Trick-or-Treating even when you're way too old for it. Sara, 14
- Finding out how much your crush likes you when you thought there was no hope. Emma
- Just sitting around doing nothing with your boyfriend. Jessalyn, 15
- Washing up all the dishes and thinking about tne next meal. Chocuncle
- Knowing that someone out there really understands you and loves you the way you are. Candace, 17
- Settling down with a big mug of hot cocoa to watch my favourite Bond movie in my pajamas. Jo, 18
- Spending Christmas Day at my Gran's house with the whole family. Jo
- Finding out that someone has a crush on you, and they don't know that you know about it. Jo
- Pure peace. Casper, 25
- Having the cutest guy look you right in the eye and give you a sincere smile without you
having to do anything. Jennifer, 16
- Looking at pictures of old crushes. Jennifer
- Looking in the mirror and thinking, "This is gonna be a good day!" Jennifer
- Learning stuff you actually care about. Jennifer
- Waking up early and feeling great. Jennifer
- Eating. Jennifer
- Sleeping. Jennifer
- Daydreaming. Period. Jennifer
- Watching my cat stretched out in the sun on her back, sleeping. Calli
- When a child you met only once, and
lives hundreds of miles away, remembers
you as "the pony lady". Calli, 18
- When one of the kids you babysit for throws their arms around your neck and
declares for all the world to hear "This is my SISTER!". Calli, 18
- A weekend at Amsterdam. Sye, 28
- Showing someone snow for the first time. Jayyne, 16
- Sleeping with someone fully clothed WITHOUT any intentions at all. Tara, 18
- Body surfing, even if the waves are small. Michael W. Frishberg, 44
- Chillin' wit my boo! Danielle , 14
- To hear the one you love read you a poem. J.Ratzenberger, 20
- TO LIVE LIFE. J. Ratzenberger, 20
- Christmas. Jeffrey, 18
- Listening to Op Ivy. Jayed, 13
- Sleeping with my boyfriend and then the next morning being able to roll over
and cuddle with him while he softly kisses my hands. Emily
- Finally winning the girl of my dreams heart,
after a hard pursuit, but now we're engaged! Jeremy, 23
- Receiving overseas mail... Even better with an AIRMAIL sticker. (Includes foreign postcards.) Claire, 19
- Knowing that beneath what you are wearing, you have on gorgeous underwear - which
makes you feel completely confident. Claire
- Slow dancing with someone you are falling for (preferably in low-lighting). Claire
- Reading this site, and realising that men ARE totally capable of falling in love. Claire
- Checking my e-mail 10 times a day hoping that the woman I love sent me a sappy note -- and she does! Havok19, 25
- Looking at my list of simple pleasures and realizing that it's way, way, way too long to ever go on this web page. Jayyne, 16
- 2 words: pop sicles. Brandon, 16
- Surfing online and finding a site that is uplifting and enjoyable. (Just like this one). Cwkoay, 25
- Wandering glistening rainy streets wearing shorts (because it isn't really
raining at all) and watching the people all bundled up and hiding in their
umbrellas and mufflers. Nate Moss
- Having a hot bath. Danilo, 18
- Winning the first match of the rugby season. Ian Warborn, 14
- Sleeping naked with a cool breeze blowing over your body. Mike, 20
- Put a nickel in the parking meter and watching the time go by. Johnny Walker, 22
- Having your boyfriend hold you when you cry. Rosie, 15
- Eating mac and cheese when and drinking milk on a Saturday when your mom
won't cook. Rosie
- Hearing my mom say "Everything's okay" when something seems so screwed up
to me and knowing that she means it. Shay McNeil, 19
- Spending the weekend with my boyfriend: laying beside him
and then having him kiss me for no reason when he thinks I'm asleep. Makes
me wonder why he kissed me. Shay McNeil
- Checking my e-mail then finding a message from my best friend. Lakee McNeil
- Watching my grandmother smile when she sees her grandkids then hearing
her laugh at something funny. Lakee McNeil, 19
- Imagining! Nookee
- Having no worries in the whole world, even if it is just for one day. Nookee
- Playing soccer in the rain. Joann, 15
- Standing on a deserted beach at night, screaming your lungs out at the sea. Dead_dewd, 21
- Listening to the Violent Femmes cover of "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me". Dwofy, almost 18
- Getting home after a long day and seeing my two children. Bryant, 29
- Watching a football game with your boy-friend late in the evening, even if you hate the football games. Marina, 23
- Taking off your shoes and socks after a long day of school. Thomas Phame, 17
- Seeing the one you have a crush on. Jaclyn
- Reading your girlfriend love poems you wrote for her, while watching tears run down her cheeks. Then feeling warmth
in your heart as her lips meet yours, a feeling unmatched by any other. Benjamin Schultz, 16
- Looking at the night sky and knowing your boyfriend could be looking at it too.
- Coming home... and knowing you're welcome. Lauren, 18
- Giving yourself a good scratch in the morning when you first get up... Ahhhhhh! Richard, 41
- Driving a car in the rain at night with someone you love.
- Going to the laundromat with more than one person's clothes to wash. Beth, 31
- Sitting in the movie theater and the lights dim and the previews begin. Roger Ko, 25
- Hearing someone tell you something that makes you so happy, you just sit there and smile because you're too excited to speak. Jackie, 15
- Returning home after a long trip. Keith, 23
- Random acts of kindness that bring smiles to strangers. TCF, The Card Fairie, Timeless
- Living on the same planet as Nicolas Cage.
- Sitting with her and not feeling nervous if you run out of conversation. Chainsaw, 27
- To watch her eyes light up when giving her something, and realizing that
you didn't do it for anything more than that, to watch her eyes light up. Billy Ward, 17
- Being outside, making love in the pouring rain with your love. Shana Stratton, 16
- Hangin' with my buds and listening to Op Ivy at like 3 a.m. Roaming the streets 'til sunrise. PoGo
- The emotion of the first kiss with your crush. Gerardo Jimenez, 27
- Being in a nice warm bed at night when there's a bad thunderstorm outside. Janet, 25
- Laughing so hard until you cry. Janet, 25
- Going online and finding people from your town you never new and then meeting them for the first time. Josh, 17
- Having complete mutual trust with another person.
- Having someone say "Thank you" to you
- Hangin' with my boo and getting some good lovin'. Brian Kirkland, 13
- The sound of my beloved happy when she mails me. Just getting mail from her makes me happy. Kyle Stewart, 14, almost 15
- Snowboarding through fresh, Alaskan powder on a crystal clear day. Clark, 15
- Receiving an e-mail from my true love after not hearing from him for over a month. MaRie
- A full body massage! Can you imagine that! Leanne, 27
- Large styrofoam cup filled with crunchy ice and Coke topped with a lid and straw. Jen, 22
- That first spoonful of mint chocolate chip ice cream. Jen
- Realizing that your love for a great friend is truly unconditional. Jerome, 19
- Seeing the expression of discovery on a child's face. Michael, 26
- Making babies giggle. Rachael Osborn, 17
- Laying with someone special while staring up into the pink sky on snowy nights. Laura
- Someone writing more than "Have a great summer!" in your yearbook. Brian, 15
- Laughing maniac'ly in the rain. Aaron Fairchild, 20
- A dark room, midnight, your favorite music and introspection. Aaron Fairchild
- Watching or listening to Julie Andrews.
- You and your children throw caution to the wind and do something spontaneous
and silly such as somersaults down a hill, spinning in circles, tickle fight in
the middle of a store. Any of many harmless yet fun things can be done and you
don't worry who may see you or care what they may think. Anything to make you
all laugh and have a few moments of pure joy and happiness!
- The feeling that I must take care of my girlfriend all my life, because I
love her so much. Johannes, Germany, 22
- Watching my wife sleep. Steel, 33
- Making others laugh. Jonathan, 16
- Holding his hands, in the car, as everyone else goes on about their buisness.
- Having your 4-year-old son say "Mommy you're funny." while giggling at
something funny you just said to him. Schyla, 22
- To read a good inspired book. Lucille
- Being on the high seas and having someone on land you can think back to
and wish they were there with you to enjoy and marvel at the beauty of the ocean.
Telling them about it later on. Marek, 24
- Thinking about the restless girl who got away, and hoping she will find
her way back to me. Ryan, 24
- Clean sheets, clean skin. lunar56
- Getting a friendly look from a beautiful girl. Mike M, 22
- Waking up to your cat licking your face and purring. Kimberly, 24
- Watching your favorite cartoon show like you were 5 again. Justin Simoni, 18
- To learn to love a nice person!. Andrea Verona, 22
- Beating a team in Spades that you have never beaten before. Meeka, 18
- On the phone three-way with my best friend and my home girl gossiping. Meeka, 18
- Playing with my 2 cats, Black and Lucky. Meeka, 18
- You and your ex bump into each other and you are with a new cutier,
better, and smarter guy. Meeka, 18
- Having someone you love come up to you and hug you, kiss you, or tell you
they love you just because they do. Meeka, 18
- Being with my best friend and the two of us laugh so hard people stop
and ask if we are okay. Meeka
- Just being with him and not doing anything but sitting looking at each other. Meeka
- Hugging someone you really love in the rain. Chai, 21
- Watching the stars from your car, far away from the city noises, with the person you love. Grace, 28
- Walking outside with your lover in the rain. Juanita
- Teaching your little cousin slang. Juanita
- Playin' mud football. Kdawg, 14
- Having a whole day off from school on a rainy grey cloudy morning and waking up around 6:30 am and calling
my girlfriend Jackie Jackson to come over with my front door unlocked but closed
and having her cuddle up next to me while I fell back to sleep. And having her
kiss me to wake me up unexpectedly. Michael Allen, 17
- Seeing the clouds below you when riding in a airplane. Beenkie, 16
- Seeing the look of true love in your loved ones eye. Beenkie
- Knowing you may have found your soul mate. Beenkie
- The smell of a thunderstorm. Beenkie
- Laying in your loved one arms after having sex. Beenkie
- Having a good laugh with real close friends. Beenkie
- Making a joke in class that everyone laughs at, even the teacher.
- Finding a bouquet on my desk the first thing in the morning as a birthday
present from friends. Sunyi, 22
- Listening to Bob Marley. Andrea, 17
- Reserving a night in a hotel SUITE without my man knowing, and filling
the room with rose pedals, candles, and the tub with Moet. . . Then seeing
the look on his face as I stand there naked when he enters the room! (Don't
know about simple. . . but it was the BEST pleasure I've ever had!)
- Snowball fights. Naomi, 19
- Stepping out of an exam room knowing it's over, you'll never have to
take the course again! Naomi, 19
- Seeing the smile when someone opens the gift you gave them.
- The feeling you get when someone forgives you. Naomi
- The feeling you get when you forgive someone else. Naomi
- Seeing a band live, and wanting to play my bass even more.
Haushinka Dirnt, soon to be 15
- Geting letters from a cute guy-friend, who likes me. Ekaterina
- Flirting with the person I like. Ekaterina
- Opening the door one day and seeing a cute guy saying "Hey girl, I have
had a crush on you for 2 months!" (It happened to me once!!!)
- Staring into his big green eyes.
- Playing football on a snowy night. Dawg Pound, 16
- Having my son run to the door, jump in my arms and saying "I love you
Mom." Melissa, 29
- Sleeping stretched out in the car during long trips with your family.
- Falling asleep in the spring sun.
- The realization that it's okay to be me, and not giving a damn what
anyone else thinks or says about me breaking the stereotypical mold of our
- The radio finally tuning in on your favourite song.
- Spare Time! Austin, 21
- Popping and eating a whole bag of butter flavor microwave popcorn, while
snuggling with your honey on the couch in the dark, watching X-Files.
- Looking into my 10 year old Rottweiler's eyes (Ami), and knowing that he
loves me more than possibly anyone else in the whole world, and that I could
never have a better dog, or friend. Moonbeam
- Knowing exactly what you are going to do next. Jim Cairl, 24
- Playing pool in the basement. Phoebe Kersula, 17
- Flirting with your crush. Phoebe Kersula
- Launching water balloons at cows 200 yards away. Phoebe, 17
- My daughter telling me she loves me. Kelly Montgomery, 22
- Seeing a good friend after months or years of not seeing him and laughing
without words because you both know exactly what's on each other's mind. . .
and laughing even louder because nobody else around you knows what you were
both laughing about in the first place. David, 25
- Driving your car with completely no traffic. J. R. Gonzalez, 20
- Smiling, and knowing the reckless abandonment of the freedom you just
experienced a second before. Smiling. Eugene Mesgar, 19
- Taking a walk outside while it is snowing lightly. Monica, 19
- Finding out there's a snow day last minute the night before.
- The feeling of freedom when you finally tell someone the truth.
- Hearing my autistic son finally say a word with meaning. Janice,
- Lying in one's room listening to Sinatra's songs. Mario, 22
- Waking up at 3:00 am and knowing you still have at least 4 more hours
left to sleep. Sharron, 28
- Jumping into mud puddles. BeccA, 26
- Walking by the ocean on a cool summer day at the break of dawn.
- Seeing the look on your girlfriend's face when you wake her up with a
kiss. Josh, 20
- Watching my 3 year old daughter sleep. Shannon, 18
- Finding out the one you love loves you. Eli Shortzky, 19
- Driving on twisty roads on a warm day in a convertible sports car.
- Being with the one I really Love and having them feel the same way.
- The way she looks at you across a crowded room. Cord, 24
- Belting out your favourite tune while driving in the car.
- The smell of freshly cut grass, and the air right after it rains.
- Finding this site and reading other people's simple pleasures.
- Walking hand in hand with my man as we watch the sunset. The cuddle on
the beach watching the stars glowing bright in the sky, and the pale moon
reflecting across the top of the water. Christina Marie, 18
- Sitting outside on a windy, sunny day. Meshonda Donaldson, 25
- Warm, bright sun coming through the window. Leah Abdenour, 18
- Looking out the window of an airplane, when you're flying over mountains.
- The smell of dinner cooking, in the early evening. Leah, 18
- Looking up at the stars on warm summer nights. Leah
- Campfires. Leah
- Sleeping next to my little doggy, McPug. Leah
- Seeing your boyfriend perform on stage. Leah
- A stranger "smiling hello", as they pass by. Leah
- A stranger holding the door for you for no reason. Leah
- A perfect parking spot you see out of the blue. Leah
- Summer barbecues in backyards or parks. Leah
- Driving with the windows down and music blaring, preferably with your
- Outdoor concerts. Leah
- Swinging. Leah
- Collages of friend's pictures. Leah
- Laughing so hard that your stomach hurts. Leah
- The excitement of going out to eat at a really nice restaurant.
- Taco Bell Gorditas, with whatever meat preference you wish. I prefer no
- Giving your loved one more than you promised. J.J. Wright
- Climbing Devil's Tower at sunrise. Stephen Foster, 40
- Watching him sleep. Anna, 27
- Sitting by the lakeside after a big meal with a big pinch of Copenhagen
between your gum and cheek, and relaxing your mind. Dennis Jackson,
- Seeing his eyes for the first time. Kelly, 35
- Looking into my girlfriends eyes and seeing her smile. Justin
- Planning a two-days-holiday with your partner... without reason.
- Rediscovering a great friendship with someone you really care about.
- The first kiss with a new boyfriend. Emily, 14
- Waking up on a Saturday morning, because you forgot to shut off your
alarm, and shutting it off to go back to sleep for a few more hours.
- Waking up on Saturday and having the sudden realization you have most of
the weekend ahead. Halogen, 18
- Reading a list of simple pleasures and then submitting one of your own that
says "reading a list of simple pleasures". Fredrico Savage, 16
- Being backstage kissed. Michelle, 13
- Sleeping with a piece of my boyfriends clothing with his cologne on it.
Heather Brooks, 16
- Eating asparagus. Iris, 16
- Having special high school friends take the time and effort to visit you
far away in college. Catherine Boutaud, 20
- Clean bed sheets. Jess, 20
- Socks straight from the dryer. Jess
- Cookies straight from the oven. Jess
- Being out-and-out goofy with my mom and brother. Jess
- Walking down the street with friends and singing whatever comes into our
- Coming home knowing that behind the door, someone is listening for your
footsteps. David F, 17
- Star-gazing with my boyfriend on a summer night. Erin, 16
- Watching a good hockey game with friends. Terry, 20
- Listening to your favorite love songs from the past. Terry, 20
- Standing in a summers shower. Terry, 20
- Sleeping with someone naked.
- Hearing the buzzer go off after a really close basketball game which ends in a victory. Josh Rimpel, 18
- Taking a look around and realizing that's everything is finally all right. Lisa
- Tea. Earl Grey. Hot. Kwirq
- Going to the movies with my 'lil cousin and 'lil sisters, cooking dinner
for my boo while he set the table. Meeka B, 18
- Seeing my girlfriend happy to see me and hearing her call me sweetie.
God I love that. Justin Alvarado, 18
- Waking up the morning after in the arms of the guy you are madly in love
with. Kiah, 18
- Buttered English muffins topped with peanut butter and jelly, like my
dad used to make me on weekends.
- When my kitty sleeps on my stomach. Tygermis, 19
- Skankin' with Op Ivy in your walkman down the middle of the road
in the middle of the night.
- Late nights spent behind a computer screen with my dad. Malfait
- Eating all the marshmallows out of a box of Lucky charms and leaving the
rest. Malfait MacPhisto
- Cuddling with your girlfriend on a couch on a cold day.
- Walking in the rain when dusk hits in the downtown of a city. Sigel,
- Her voice. Jeffrey, 26
- Day dreaming about my Angel. Charlene, 38
- Eating Pez. Marching in the band. Watching a scary movie with someone
special. Throwing a perfect spiral pass. Telling jokes. Watching Buffy
the Vampire Slayer on TV. Reading the morning comics. Dreaming.
Listening to the Beatles. Dancing. Tamara, 17
- A fast motorized vehicle and a warm and sunny day. Ash, 15
- Sitting on the couch with some eggnog and watching your lit-up Christmas
tree in the dark. Kristin, 31
- Nursing your baby. Kristin
- Making and then, of course, eating, the perfect chocolate chip cookie.
Then having an icy cold glass of milk right next to it. Kristin
- Taking off in an airplane all by yourself for the first time. Ryan
- Fresh baked bread with lots of butter. Suzanne Minier, 20
- A long bus ride home from a marching competition that you just won, with
a pretty girl's head resting on your shoulder. Daniel, 16
- Having a girl run her fingers through your hair. Eric, 19
- Watching my cat and my bird get along (my bird is the dominating one).
Carrie Pettit, 18
- Resisting temptation and the satisfaction of knowing that you have won.
- Walking on the beach on a cool fall day. Hannah, 16
- Falling in love with the one you want to spend the rest of your life
with, and knowing they feel that way too.
- Hearing the one you love say your name while talking to you. Jessica,
- The end of the day when the sun is just about to set and the rays of the
sun infuses everything with golden light. Ruth, 29
- Driving on country or mountain roads, throwing up your hand at passing
drivers and having them wave back.
- Seeing my dog dance when I'm unlocking the door to come inside.
- Being awakened by a soft kiss.
- Music. Dan, 15
- Receiving a letter from someone that you haven't talked to in what seems
like an eternity. Jaime Emery, 14
- Finally getting to see the guy that you've been thinking about all week.
- Sleeping naked on a warm summer night with a thin blanket. Kelly, 16
- Dancing all night and going to sleep as the rest of the world goes to
work. Ray, 17
- Skydiving on a nice clear summer day... You can see for miles.
- Thinking about that special someone then hearing the phone ring, and
it's him. Jei, 14
- Staring into the eyes of a deer, and not even realizing it until it
bounds away. Ashlea Betzen
- Shnoozling my face in my dog's fur. F. Cooper
- Getting a hug from my 15-month-old nephew and him giving me a butterfly
- Hot shower after gym. Drew Hynes, 15
- Waxing your car. Matt, 18
- Spending a day without worries outside enjoying nature. Janet Chang,
- Taking a nap in the sun, flat on your back. Janet Chang, 15
- Sitting in a deck chair at dusk with a cat in my lap, watching the sun
go down and listening to the crickets chirp. Shelley, 26
- Getting a phone call from the someone that you were just thinking about.
- Missing the girl you love. Jimmy, 18
- Getting a letter in the mail from someone for no reason except to say
"Hi, how ya doin'?" Lauren, 14
- Holding my baby and nursing her while she looks up at me so lovingly.
Wow. DeVe, 41
- The weekend! Sunyi, 22
- Finding your soul mate no matter what happens. Kim Gregson, 21
- A smile from a stranger.
- Padding into the kitchen early one morning to find breakfast for two
- Cuddling with a loved one.
- Finding pictures of your friends from camp after you thought you lost
them. Mallory, 14
- Old worn out jeans on a cold day with a mug of hot chocolate, extra
marshmallows, and a good book. Mallory
- Opening a new jar of peanut butter and dipping your finger in for the
first bite. Mallory
- A sunset in autumn. Mallory
- Hearing your boyfriend's voice after he is gone for two weeks for
baseball conditioning!! Nicky, 15, soon 16
- Spying a constellation other than Ursa Major/Minor. Matthew, 15
- That childhood movie that you've had for years and can recite every line
(The Little Mermaid). Matthew
- Speaking your first phrase in a foreign language, such as Japanese (mine
was "Sayonara".) Matthew
- Whenever everyone at the table loves the meal you spent all day cooking.
- Eating nothing but whipped cream. Matthew
- Giving the dog a bath. Matthew
- Having my husband come home and after two months of working and to feel
his arms around me knowing that he still loves me. Michelle, 19
- Making someone else laugh... hard.
- Seeing how happy or grateful someone is after you've done them a favor.
- Italian Opera. Bob Burns, old enough to know better
- Running through a fountain, still in a suit, right after work on a hot
- That certain someone... Sayin' honey, I'm home!!!! Kellie, 28
- Things we all take advantage of: life, seeing, hearing, feeling, tasting,
smelling, beauty, friendship, love, and a new day... Remember to give a hug
and smile, they're free... FadeNJean
- Spending time with my granney and my mom and dad and my brother and my
sister and my birth mom. Lesley, 32
- Wondering if... Connie Regan, 25
- Tasting objects at random. Neil Day, 19
- A quiet morning... the sun is rising and the birds are singing... sitting
in the rocker on the back porch.
- Making out in a school or public library with your girlfriend/boyfriend.
Sarah Gray, 13
- Sitting in the sunshine.
- Watching "The Andy Griffith Show" to put it all back into perspective.
Wayne Bruner, 20
- Cruising around town with a couple friends, and seeing how many guys you
can get to check you out.
- Picking up your younger brother at the airport after he arrives from a
one-year absence from the city. Brandon, 25
- Strawberries and sugar. Susanna Maras, 16
- Going over to your boyfriend's house after he has been gone for a week
and as soon as you get out of the car, he gives you and big hug and kiss and
tells you he missed you. Tara, 19
- Listening to 78 rpm records.
- Making angels in the snow with a trusted friend.
- Giving a hug and kiss to the love of your life. Jeremy DeFalco,
- Practicing with my band and hoping we get a record deal. Jenna,
- That 10 minute morning scratch. Janelle Orange, 18
- Snuggling with my 5 year-old son. Who knew it could be so good?
Miss Pixel, 45
- Making someone at your office smile, or better yet, laugh, when they
normally walk around the office with a scowl on their face. Karen
- Finding a McDonald's that doesn't have a broken milkshake machine!
Kelly Niyogi, 20
- Kissing in public (at school) or anywhere its not allowed like in a
courtroom, classroom, etc. Jonathan Scarborough, 16
- Standing in a steaming shower after a long day of standing in the cold
water of a trout stream. Brad Sims, 27
- Making the perfect cast with a fly rod so that the line shoots straight
and the fly lands softly on the water. Brad Sims
- Listing all of the things you should be doing and then not doing any
- Accomplishing something you set out to do.
- Realizing that the deep connection felt with a friend will always be
there, even when you're miles apart. Faith, 44
- A first kiss.
- Arguing about who loves the other more.
- Really loving someone when they love you too.
- A guitar with new strings. Elliott Pacetti, 34
- To lie in the snow and look up at the sky and watch your frozen
breath in the air. Julia Schwent, 16
- To LAUGH!!!! Julia Schwent
- To know that you are not alone. Jula Schwent
- Lying in the sun and feeling it soak into your skin. Julia
- Catching bubbles on your tongue. Julia Schwent
- Having a dream about your crush and then making it come true.
- Eating cereal out of a ceramic bowl that's been sitting in the fridge
all night. Travis Bower, 35
- Daydreaming about that guy you will never, ever have - even if you
have a boyfriend. Amadei, 15 & 1/2
- The feeling of complete satisfaction, having just finished reading
an excellent book. Linda Devine Smithson, 41
- Hershey's kisses. Hasan Hasnat, 20
- Telling the woman that you love that you love them. Jeremy
- Writing a poem for your girlfriend/boyfriend.
- Holding your girlfriend's hand. Jeremy DeFalco, 15
- Looking up at a beautiful sky and seeing distinct image in a cloud
formation...better yet...having a companion with you who sees it too.
- Giving your girlfriend a kiss. Jeremy DeFalco, 15
- Watching two back-to-back episodes of Bobby's World on Fox Kids in
the morning. Kesha Edwards, 20
- Having a good looking girl wave and smile at you.
- Having a good looking guy wave and smile at you. Tia M.
- Finishing anything without giving in.
- Having your hair done just right at the beauty salon. Shirley
- Seeing my tired, hardworking, sweaty husband come home after a hard days work and still (after 10 years) plant a big wet kiss on me.
- Cold spaghetti at midnight enhanced by the deep thoughts of my good friend, my son. Susan Hernandez
- Looking through the window and seeing the snow fall down.
Peter Henrysson, 28
- All golf experiments work at least once! LaBelle, 49
- Listening to your dog bark while you dance around in front of it to elevator music in a bear costume. It makes your dog bark a lot and I like it.
- Hearing "I love you." Walter Rader
- Holding hands. Walter Rader
- Classical music. Walter Rader
- Wishing that you had just one more piece of candy after finishing a
bag, then finding one tucked down in the very bottom corner. Somehow that
one tastes better than all of the rest. Walter Rader
- Winning a state championship and knowing you are the best. It is
like soaring above the earth. Christopher Huff
- Getting the final Jeopardy question right.
- A perfect performance after a terrible rehearsal.
- Finally accomplishing what everyone thought was impossible.
- The feeling you get sometimes, where just being alive on this beautiful planet is all you could ask for.
- Having a good laugh with friends!
- Walking on the beach at night listening to a tape of favorites and feeling, well, cosmic.
- Porridge with cream and golden syrup on a cold day.
- Going sub-aqua diving when the sun shines through the water, and the fish are around you, and nothing can interfere with your thoughts.
- Stopping at a rest stop to get a kiss from my love.
- Sitting in bed with a cup of tea, milk and sugar doing the NY Times Sunday crossword puzzle.
- Becoming sober for the first time in years and realizing all the wonderful things in life you've been missing.
- Playing one of Chopin's Nocturnes at midnight.
- Swimming in your own pool on a hot summer day.
- Laying down in fresh bedding, listing to the wind chimes outside the bedroom window.
- Wearing old jeans and jumping in leaves.
- Getting an unsuspected letter from a friend when homesick at your first week in college.
- An early morning drive and breathing fresh chilled air first thing in the morning.
- Knowing you have the freedom to do what you want but knowing that everyone has to work for it!
- When you wake in the morning and there is energy just oozing out of you and you feel fantastic.
- Watching a Bald Eagle soar for the first time!!
- A puppy's wet nose.
- Going to bed on 100% cotton sheets that have been hanging on a clothesline in the sunshine all day - after a day of planting and gardening and a nice hot shower!
- Riding my bike and reaching the destination anyway.
- Candlelight glowing on polished wood.
- Getting back to being just good friends.
- Watching the musicians' faces in a jazz club.
- A great music jam that just keeps you wanting more...
- Getting your first very-own e-mail.
- Sleeping under the stars on a clear night.
- The smell of autumn.
- Hitting the high note in the Star Spangled Banner.
- Practicing a new a piece of music on the double bass and getting it right at last.
- Playing jazz improv with your best friend for three non-stop hours.
- Gooshing mud between your toes.
- Waking up at 5am, and hearing the first sound of the day, especially the first bird call.
- The time of day when the sun is JUST about to set, and it casts really long shadows.
- Enjoying nature, and being completely away from society, and the madness of man-made technology.
- Realizing that there really is love in the world.
- Not giving a damn what anyone else thinks, and living life the way YOU want to, not to someone else's messed up rules.
- Creating life.
- Finding a $5 bill in an old jacket pocket.
- Sitting on a porch swing on a cold, clear winter night with nothing but your pj's, a blanket and a mug of creamy, hot cocoa.
- Oreos and cool-whip.
- Cooking breakfast on the porch of a hut high in the wilderness of the Tararua Ranges (NZ).
- Standing on the summit of a snowy mountain on a bright winter's day.
- When you feel like cheating on a test but you don't, and it turns out your own answer was right anyway.
- Having my baby daughter give me an all-gums smile at 3 am.
- Flying my kite and letting a curious child hold the string.
- Lying down in the sand on the beach at night, looking up at the stars and convincing yourself you are actually looking down.
- Stepping into the shower after a seven mile run.
- The peaceful summer sunburnt feeling of walking around as the sun goes down.
- Enjoying a nice chat with my family over dinner!
- Knowing that because of you, someone is having a better day.
- Blowing out all your birthday candles.
- Making a young child smile.
- Watching a raging thunderstorm from the security of your home.
- Sitting next to a warm fire drinking eggnog on Christmas eve.
- The look on a child's face when she finally understands what you're teaching her.
- Going out in the rain (on a warm day) w/out an umbrella and getting wet.
- Eating freshly picked fruits.
- Cuddling up.
- Having the car packed to perfection, just waiting for you to get behind the wheel and...go. Freedom!
- Running in the rain during thunderstorms.
- Fun car rides with your three friends.
- Wearing bowling shoes and homecoming dresses while dancing to music catered especially for you... (in bowling alleys).
- Learning how to change a tire and jump-start the car all by yourself.
- Fall colors in Western New York.
- Thinking of an ex- and smiling without being sad.
- A "nervous" kiss after five really long months apart.
- Looking at my little boy's precious face when he is soundly asleep.
- A friend with chocolate.
- People who make you smile just by thinking of them.
- When the groom kisses the bride.
- Finding something you made as a kid.
- Reuniting with someone you love.
- Rubbing your eyes after wearing hard contact lens for days.
- Riding up a ski lift alone on a cold clear afternoon.
- Watching it snow in Texas.
- Eating a spoon of peanut butter.
- Staying up all night writing poetry with your beloved.
- Seeing the sun break through a patch of clouds after endless days of rain.
- Kissing your first love in the rain.
- Going to bed knowing you don't have to wake up the next morning!
- Wrestling with your dog.
- Walking alone in the woods on a fall sunshiny day.
- Going on a long road trip with no plans in mind.
- Sleeping naked.
- Knowing that when I wake up she'll be right next to me.
- When my dog cuddles next to me on the couch.
- Hearing a really good joke.
- Reuniting with a childhood girlfriend and finding out that you have more in common than you thought.
- Listening to a song that is "your" song when you are apart from your lover.
- Smelling fresh baked bread.
- Sitting on your front porch watching lightning in the distance.
- That one beautiful picture of your child out of an otherwise terrible roll of film.
Back to Walter Rader's home page.
The Online Slang Dictionary.
If you have any comments, suggestions, criticisms or questions, I would
love to hear from you.