wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Survey #3 »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 8:59am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   general
   guestbook
(Moderators: Eigenray, william wu, SMQ, towr, ThudnBlunder, Grimbal, Icarus)
   Survey #3
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Survey #3  (Read 4941 times)
Sir Col
Uberpuzzler

impudens simia et macrologus profundus fabulae

Re: Survey #3  
« Reply #25 on: Nov 1st, 2007, 11:56am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Nov 1st, 2007, 7:05am, rmsgrey wrote:

I hate it when it's not a question of "Which is the right answer?" but "Which does the examiner think is the most right answer?"

I know exactly what you mean, rmsgrey. For years I taught my students that you could add fractions like this: 1/2 + 2/3 = 3/5, and none of them ever found them difficult. I could give them pages of calculations and they'd churn the answers out in minutes. However, recently some pesky examiner insists on a convoluted "common denominator" method. To be honest neither I nor my students understand any more. I dunno!?  Roll Eyes
IP Logged

mathschallenge.net / projecteuler.net
FiBsTeR
Senior Riddler

« Reply #26 on: Nov 1st, 2007, 5:02pm »

I hate it when it's not a question of "Which is the right answer?" but "Which does the examiner think is the most right answer?"

As for as the math and science standardized tests (including AP), I don't think there's any ambiguity in the questions. There's always a correct answer, and the examiner has a very strict rubric (I've seen an example of one, from which to grade the free response questions (the multiple-choice machine-checker is even more strict  Tongue). If there is even the slightest hint of ambiguity in a question on an AP test, I'm sure the people who review these things have caught them. If not, any student can report ambiguous questions to be reviewed again.

I can't speak as definitively for AP Lang/Comp and the like, but I'm pretty sure the rules of grammar are fairly strict, as well. Sure there are some things left up to style (last comma of a list, for example), but I doubt these things appear on a test, although I can't say for sure because I've never taken that AP test yet.

EDIT:
on Nov 1st, 2007, 11:56am, Sir Col wrote:

For years I taught my students that you could add fractions like this: 1/2 + 2/3 = 3/5

And thus 2 + 1 = 3, (2/1)+(-1/-1)=1/0, 2 = 1/0, and thus all numbers are undefined, and there are no correct answers to any question.
« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2007, 5:06pm by FiBsTeR » IP Logged
JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #27 on: Nov 1st, 2007, 5:41pm »

The barometer story is a good example. I guess the examiners are prepping the students to face the real world; Clients don't really care how you do it, or if it's done correctly, as long as it conforms to what they want. ( some don't even know what they want, but that's a different story. )
« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2007, 5:42pm by JiNbOtAk » IP Logged

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
mikedagr8
Uberpuzzler

A rich man is one who is content; not wealthy.

« Reply #28 on: Nov 1st, 2007, 5:52pm »

on Nov 1st, 2007, 5:41pm, JiNbOtAk wrote:

The barometer story is a good example. I guess the examiners are prepping the students to face the real world; Clients don't really care how you do it, or if it's done correctly, as long as it conforms to what they want. ( some don't even know what they want, but that's a different story. )

I'd go with the more violent and destructive methods simply because they're fun. Grin
I wouldn't worry about replacing the barometer, it  worked fine. Roll Eyes Tongue
IP Logged

"It's not that I'm correct, it's that you're just not correct, and so; I am right." - M.P.E.
ima1trkpny
Senior Riddler

"Double click on 'Yes'... Hey!"

« Reply #29 on: Nov 1st, 2007, 8:04pm »

on Nov 1st, 2007, 5:02pm, FiBsTeR wrote:

As for as the math and science standardized tests (including AP), I don't think there's any ambiguity in the questions. There's always a correct answer...
I can't speak as definitively for AP Lang/Comp and the like, but I'm pretty sure the rules of grammar are fairly strict, as well. Sure there are some things left up to style (last comma of a list, for example), but I doubt these things appear on a test, although I can't say for sure because I've never taken that AP test yet.

Hahaha, you assume I meant grammatically... well there is MUCH more to the Eng. Lang/Comp. test than that. Most of them are more interpretational... read a passage and tell them what the significance of Jane having 6 books on the table as opposed to 7, etc (being a little exaggerated... but they do have plenty that are very very open to the interpretation of the reader) and the problem with it being multiple choice is they will give you several answers all of which could make sense depending on your perspective and you aren't given the opportunity to support your answer with your logic... you either see it the way they do or you don't.
And coming from the perspective of someone who has taken all of the AP science and math tests with the exception of chemistry (took that as underclassman because they wouldn't let me take AP  Cry ) as well as the Humanities tests like English, etc. LOL... yes, in the Math and Science they are considerably less ambiguous... but they are tricky none the less. They delight in occasionally wording things in misleading fashions. *Note: Pay attention to Unit traps!!!* Every year many people lose a whole lot of points because they were too stressed out to realize that some measurements in the problem weren't given in base units and so they forgot to convert...
And LOL... the examiners are teachers, they want to give every point can (especially since the tests don't have names on them they could be grading their own student's tests) that doesn't mean the test itself and the test designers don't deliberately get very tricky. The Physics test is the one I'm referring to the most... but from the CollegeBoards perspective, if someone gets a 100% on the test, CollegeBoard did a poor job of designing as they don't know the limits of your knowledge. So they will deliberately set up tricky questions or ones far more advanced than high school AP students would be likely to have seen so they can find out who really knows how to think and understands the concepts.  
This isn't to say AP is bad... in fact I loved it  Grin just don't be cocky going into it... be confident in your abilities but go in with your eyes open and pay attention to every detail because they will employ some subterfuge just to see if you were quick enough to catch it. Oh... and final suggestion... study your labs and know them inside and out before you go into the test... that will be a huge help in the free response. Best of luck!
« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2007, 8:05pm by ima1trkpny » IP Logged

"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." -Churchill
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

« Reply #30 on: Nov 3rd, 2007, 5:46am »

I'm reminded of what I heard about the Statistics exam where, from time to time, someone would score 101% - the exam was marked out of 102 and the numerical value of the mark given as the percentage score (no-one ever got full marks)
IP Logged
JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #31 on: Nov 4th, 2007, 5:49pm »

on Nov 3rd, 2007, 5:46am, rmsgrey wrote:
(no-one ever got full marks)

Hmm..why is that ? What is wrong with awarding full marks ? ( Provided they answered everything correctly ? )
IP Logged

ima1trkpny
Senior Riddler

"Double click on 'Yes'... Hey!"

« Reply #32 on: Nov 4th, 2007, 7:39pm »

on Nov 4th, 2007, 5:49pm, JiNbOtAk wrote:

Hmm..why is that ? What is wrong with awarding full marks ? ( Provided they answered everything correctly ? )

It was just ironic... but the test designers don't want anybody able to get full marks... then they don't know the limits of your knowledge.
IP Logged

"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." -Churchill
JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #33 on: Nov 4th, 2007, 8:28pm »

No one can get full marks, but anyone can get zero..it's like saying anyone can be mediocre, but no one can be perfect.  

Wait, that is how the world works.  Tongue
IP Logged

alien2
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #34 on: Jan 12th, 2008, 8:36am »

on Sep 30th, 2007, 7:02am, mikedagr8 wrote:
I know I may seem like prying, starting another survey, but but what is everyone's occupations, or desired occupations?

.....talking about the latter question, I always wanted to be a fireman. Why? Because there aren't many fires, or at least, not in my town, so basically what you do is nothing most of the time. Sure, you might get burned badly, but hey, laziness has its price. Roll Eyes
IP Logged

mikedagr8
Uberpuzzler

A rich man is one who is content; not wealthy.

« Reply #35 on: Jan 13th, 2008, 2:49am »

on Jan 12th, 2008, 8:36am, Iceman wrote:

.....talking about the latter question, I always wanted to be a fireman. Why? Because there aren't many fires, or at least, not in my town, so basically what you do is nothing most of the time. Sure, you might get burned badly, but hey, laziness has its price. Roll Eyes

True to that, I've always wanted to be succesful, but I've never been quite sure of how to accomplish that. Tongue
IP Logged

"It's not that I'm correct, it's that you're just not correct, and so; I am right." - M.P.E.
alien2
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #36 on: Jan 13th, 2008, 4:32am »

You're 16 so you have an excuse.  Tongue
IP Logged

FiBsTeR
Senior Riddler

« Reply #37 on: Jan 13th, 2008, 7:40am »

on Jan 12th, 2008, 8:36am, Iceman wrote:

In my town, the fire department is on a volunteer basis, so you could sit around all you want, but you wouldn't get paid for it.  Tongue
IP Logged
alien2
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #38 on: Jan 13th, 2008, 9:14am »

Then I'll just avoid your town, even though I don't like third-degree burns. It's nothing personal, but I am Iceman, so I suppose any fire department would be proud to have me. Wherever there are burning forests, I'll be there. Wherever there are burning buildings, I'll be there. Wherever there are women with third-degree burns, I won't be there. So you better be in perfect health when I enter the burning building, baby. I may be fireman in heart, but I also have quite a specific taste. So if she's burned, I'll get the hell out of there like a bat out of hell, resign immediately, and go on a long vacation in FiBsTeR's town. All evens all, I guess, and again, nothing personal. Sometimes I try to be humoristic by applying black humor as well. Oh well, maybe I'm just lonely because I had sex three years ago.  Embarassed  Kiss
IP Logged

FiBsTeR
Senior Riddler

« Reply #39 on: Jan 13th, 2008, 10:28am »

on Nov 1st, 2007, 8:04pm, ima1trkpny wrote:

The Physics test is the one I'm referring to the most... but from the CollegeBoards perspective, if someone gets a 100% on the test, CollegeBoard did a poor job of designing as they don't know the limits of your knowledge. So they will deliberately set up tricky questions or ones far more advanced than high school AP students would be likely to have seen so they can find out who really knows how to think and understands the concepts.

Really? From some of the released AP tests I've seen, the questions seem fairly straightforward, at least on the Classical Mechanics side (I start E&M next week).

And I don't think they have too many qualms on giving perfect scores; I got 800/800 on two of their SAT Subject Tests. Smiley

On a separate note, I hope this post is formatted correctly, since I'm starting to check/post on these forums on my phone. Wink
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2008, 10:31am by FiBsTeR » IP Logged
Ghost Sniper
Senior Riddler

Do not hide. It is useless.

« Reply #40 on: Jan 14th, 2008, 10:17am »

on Jan 13th, 2008, 9:14am, Iceman wrote:
Then I'll just avoid your town, even though I don't like third-degree burns. It's nothing personal, but I am Iceman, so I suppose any fire department would be proud to have me. Wherever there are burning forests, I'll be there. Wherever there are burning buildings, I'll be there. Wherever there are women with third-degree burns, I won't be there. So you better be in perfect health when I enter the burning building, baby. I may be fireman in heart, but I also have quite a specific taste. So if she's burned, I'll get the hell out of there like a bat out of hell, resign immediately, and go on a long vacation in FiBsTeR's town. All evens all, I guess, and again, nothing personal. Sometimes I try to be humoristic by applying black humor as well. Oh well, maybe I'm just lonely because I had sex three years ago.  Embarassed  Kiss

Well in that case...  

My school building is burning down as we speak. So get your butt over here, pronto.  Tongue
IP Logged

*sob* I miss my mommy... *blows nose* huh, I'm on? oh right.

(thinks to self) Time for my speech to these college kids.

"Reason is more important than all emotions..."
alien2
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #41 on: Jan 14th, 2008, 11:32am »

on Jan 14th, 2008, 10:17am, Ghost Sniper wrote:
My school building is burning down as we speak. So get your butt over here, pronto.  Tongue

Have no fear: Iceman is here! Btw, I don't need a fire extinguisher, for I AM fire extinguisher. Cool

IP Logged

FiBsTeR
Senior Riddler

« Reply #42 on: Jan 15th, 2008, 4:23pm »

on Jan 14th, 2008, 11:32am, Iceman wrote:

Hadouken!!!! (For those of you that remember Street Fighter.)
IP Logged
JiNbOtAk
Uberpuzzler

Hana Hana No Mi

« Reply #43 on: Jan 15th, 2008, 10:32pm »

on Jan 15th, 2008, 4:23pm, FiBsTeR wrote:

Hadouken!!!! (For those of you that remember Street Fighter.)

Who doesn't ?
IP Logged

Grimbal
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #44 on: Jan 16th, 2008, 3:40am »

Street Fighter?  What is that?  Roll Eyes
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #45 on: Jan 16th, 2008, 6:15am »

on Jan 16th, 2008, 3:40am, Grimbal wrote:
Street Fighter?  What is that?  Roll Eyes
It's a movie with Jean-Claude Van Damme
I don't recall it featuring any Hadouken though.
 Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2008, 6:15am by towr » IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »