wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - New Year's resolution »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 7:34am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   general
   psychology
(Moderators: Eigenray, SMQ, ThudnBlunder, Icarus, towr, Grimbal, william wu)
   New Year's resolution
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New Year's resolution  (Read 7495 times)
Benny
Uberpuzzler

New Year's resolution  
« on: Jan 2nd, 2010, 11:31am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

We knew that day was coming -- Jan 1st, 2010 -- so, I got out my pen and paper, and have wondered how many resolutions I'll make this year, and which resolutions I will be able to keep.

Jan 1st 2010 is an interesting day since it is a palindrome day ... Not only it is a palindrome day, but it is also  only the second palindrome day of the 21st century :  01/02/2010.

So, I decided to put an extra effort to keep my resolutions this year.

And, I asked myself what is the best way to keep these resolutions.

Is it just a matter of self control? Well, not exactly.

I was lucky to find an article in the Wall Street Journal : Blame It on the Brain

Here are the comments that caught my attention:

A tired brain, preoccupied with its problems, is going to struggle to resist what it wants, even when what it wants isn't what we need.

... it suggests that making lots of New Year's resolutions is the wrong way to go about changing our habits.  

... Willpower, in other words, requires real energy

... people who are better at delaying gratification don't necessarily have more restraint. Instead, they seem to be better at finding ways to get tempting thoughts out of their minds.  

Do not to overtax the brain !

What are your New Year's resolution(s)?
What do you think of the strategies described in the article?
Do you have other strategies that worked for you?

IP Logged

If we want to understand our world — or how to change it — we must first understand the rational choices that shape it.
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: New Year's resolution  
« Reply #1 on: Jan 2nd, 2010, 2:27pm »

on Jan 2nd, 2010, 11:31am, BenVitale wrote:
Jan 1st 2010 is an interesting day since it is a palindrome day ... Not only it is a palindrome day, but it is also  only the second palindrome day of the 21st century :  01/02/2010.
In what universe is January the first of 2010, 01/02/2010?  
01/02/2010 is February first. Or possibly January second if you're American.
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Benny
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #2 on: Jan 2nd, 2010, 3:29pm »

Oops! Jan 2nd, 2010, that is : 01/02/2010

Are you British?
IP Logged

If we want to understand our world — or how to change it — we must first understand the rational choices that shape it.
ima1trkpny
Senior Riddler

"Double click on 'Yes'... Hey!"

« Reply #3 on: Jan 3rd, 2010, 6:12am »

A tired brain, preoccupied with its problems, is going to struggle to resist what it wants, even when what it wants isn't what we need.

I would agree with that. I would venture to say that many people forget about being mentally strong or put it farther down on their list of priorities than it really should be. Just as poorly thought out ideas seem much more practical when tired, the tired mind's processing capability is greatly diminished.  

Quote:
What do you think of the strategies described in the article?
Do you have other strategies that worked for you?

resolution: Run a marathon!
some strategies I would suggest:
 1) Reward yourself! For example... I have hated running most of my life (swimming was more my forte) so I've always had to force myself to do it. I finally figured out that it got a lot more pleasant when I had something to look forward to as a reward for going on a run and doing what was better for me rather than watching the James Bond marathon on TV (or maybe I'd let the marathon be the reward Wink )
 2) Find a buddy. Someone going through a similar struggle of will power is an invaluable support system if you use it properly. You hold each other accountable, encourage, and keep each other honest when you have those moments of "I just can't do it!"
 3) Set up reasonable goals. Making a progression of goals rather than one big mega-unattainable-behemoth of a goal allows you to set yourself up for success. Smiley If you're meeting your expectations while still having something to work towards, you create positivity and make the experience more rewarding because even when it is tough, it will feel do-able.  

And just for fun a couple relevant quotes that came to mind.  

"A light supper, a good night's sleep, and a fine morning have often made a hero of the same man who by indigestion, a restless night, and a rainy morning, would have proved a coward."  -Earl of Chesterfield
"Health food may be good for the conscience but Oreos taste a hell of a lot better." -Robert Redford

IP Logged

"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." -Churchill
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #4 on: Jan 3rd, 2010, 6:32am »

on Jan 2nd, 2010, 3:29pm, BenVitale wrote:
Are you British?
No, Dutch.

They are nonexistent; just the way I like them.
If one does feel the need to make resolutions, it's probably better to spread them over the year, rather than save them up and set yourself up for a massive failure. The idea of "starting anew" is probably better in theory than in practice.
IP Logged

Benny
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #5 on: Jan 3rd, 2010, 10:19am »

ima1trkpny and towr,

Thank you for sharing your strategies.

I think that the article in the Wall Street Journal is a good one and I just wanted to share it with this community.
IP Logged

Grimbal
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #6 on: Jan 3rd, 2010, 12:29pm »

I don't make New Year resolutions.  I still have plenty of resolutions carried over from previous new years.

I could take the resolution to keep my resolutions this year, but I am not sure the net effect would be an actual reduction of the backlog.
« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2010, 12:30pm by Grimbal » IP Logged
towr
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #7 on: Jan 3rd, 2010, 12:32pm »

You could always resolve to make only one new resolution; and that wouldn't add to the backlog, since it'd be self-fulfilled.
IP Logged

Benny
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #8 on: Jan 7th, 2010, 2:34pm »

I go to the gym and I've noticed that it is crowded with new years resolutioners ... I've decided to take a break and avoid the gym for a couple of weeks or a month ... I figure that by the end of January, they'll be gone.

IP Logged

ima1trkpny
Senior Riddler

"Double click on 'Yes'... Hey!"

« Reply #9 on: Jan 8th, 2010, 4:05pm »

LOL yes, every year until about the end of February the gym gets way more crowded. Mine has to do these ticket things for their classes because it gets so crowded. I generally aim to workout at times when most people can't so I can avoid watching jigglypuffs in spandex.
IP Logged

"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." -Churchill
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »