wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Some Answers to Easy Section »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 8th, 2024, 6:44am

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   easy
(Moderators: william wu, Eigenray, SMQ, Grimbal, Icarus, towr, ThudnBlunder)
   Some Answers to Easy Section
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Some Answers to Easy Section  (Read 10368 times)
TenaliRaman
Uberpuzzler

I am no special. I am only passionately curious.

Re: Some Answers to Easy Section  
« Reply #25 on: Jun 6th, 2003, 9:47pm »

i suppose your co-workers are as qualified as you are.This becomes a barrier to accepting new information.Since they feel "i know as much as this guy does so why should i listen to him?" or it could be "i have been working like this and produced quality products,now why should i take risk and listen to this guy".

To deal with such type of people,the best way is way of Socrates "make them realise their mistake by asking them innocent looking question".

i am no psychological expert but this trick works when i have to convince my friends of my ideas.
IP Logged

Self discovery comes when a man measures himself against an obstacle - Antoine de Saint Exupery
Chronos

WWW Email

« Reply #26 on: Jun 11th, 2003, 1:54pm »

Personally, I approach any problem with the assumption that it has a simple (if perhaps tricky) solution.  Most problems with difficult solutions are not worth asking in the first place.

Of course, this attitude just makes things harder for me when I do come across a genuinely difficult problem.
IP Logged
fyo

Email

« Reply #27 on: Jun 25th, 2003, 8:46am »

This is a bit of nitpicking regarding the answer to the Hour Glass puzzle...

TenaliRaman's suggestion was to:

1) Start both hour glasses.
2) When the 7min one runs out, "start the timer"
3) Let the 11min finish running out (4 mins).
4) Restart the 11min glass and you get 15 mins.

While correct, this is not the best way to do it. The problem is that you are limited in your ability to time the 45 minutes. If someone tells you tell him when 15 mins have past from NOW, you're dead in the water. The solution given requires (at minimum) a 7 minute head start.

The "proper" solution would be to:

TIMER STARTS NOW
1) Start both glasses.  
2) When the 7min glass runs out, restart the 7min glass.
3) When the 11min glass runs out (the 7min glass has 3 minutes left), turn the 7min glass around. It will run out of sand after 4mins, giving the required 15mins total.
TIMER ENDS NOW

Sincerely,

fyo
IP Logged
TenaliRaman
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #28 on: Jun 25th, 2003, 1:06pm »

yes you are right
IP Logged

Self discovery comes when a man measures himself against an obstacle - Antoine de Saint Exupery
Elysha

Email

final answer to Chess Problem I (long)  
« Reply #29 on: Aug 8th, 2003, 12:50am »

Finally we will have a solution which should look like this,
N-knight K-king Q-queen B-bishop R-rook
N 1 _ _ _ 1 _ Q
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_ _ 0 _ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ 1 1 _ _
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ R
_ _ K _ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_ B _ _ _ _ _ _

This will not work, because neither the knight nor the bishop will be able to attack row 1 square 2.  I like the formatting you've used for the answer, though, so I'm going to use it to present the three possible answers I found.  There are no other answers possible, as I will show.

First I will label the positions we are filling from left to right, then top to bottom, as A, B, C, D, and E, like this:

A 1 _ _ _ 1 _ B
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_ _ 0 _ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ 1 1 _ _
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ C
_ _ D _ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_ E _ _ _ _ _ _

I will use these statements for further deductions: 1) Because of the 0, A cannot be the bishop or the queen.  2) D cannot be the rook or the queen.  3) B must be either the rook or the queen.

Only B, C, or E can be the queen.  I'm going to look at each of these possibilities in turn.

First, Suppose E is the Queen.  Then this is the only possible solution:

N 1 _ _ _ 1 _ R
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_ _ 0 _ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ 1 1 _ _
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ K
_ _ B _ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_ Q _ _ _ _ _ _

Here is my reasoning: Suppose E is a queen.

Then B is a rook. (see B)

Then D, in order to attack row 4, square 5, must be a bishop.

A is not a king, because row 1 square 2 can only be attacked by the queen in E.  A has to be a knight, the only possibility remaining to it.

If A is a knight, then the only position left to the king is C.

Now, let's suppose C is a queen.

If C is queen, then E must be the bishop, to threaten the position C fails to threaten.  In this case, there are no pieces left that can move horizontally.  Neither B nor D can threaten the position between them.  This is a contradiction, and it is not possible for C to be the queen.

Now, the third possibility: let's suppose B is the queen.  I found two possible solutions (similar to yours):

R 1 _ _ _ 1 _ Q
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_ _ 0 _ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ 1 1 _ _
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ K
_ _ N _ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_ B _ _ _ _ _ _

Also:

K 1 _ _ _ 1 _ Q
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_ _ 0 _ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ 1 1 _ _
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ R
_ _ N _ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_ B _ _ _ _ _ _

Reasoning:  Suppose B is the queen.  Then D is not the bishop, but is either the knight or the king.  Now, there are two possibilities: either E is not the bishop, or E is the bishop.  First, suppose E is not the bishop.

If E is not the bishop, then C is the knight.  

Now, D is not allowed to move diagonally because B is the queen.  D is also not allowed to move vertically, because it would threaten the position that isn't threatened by anything.  The only pieces left to D by this are knight and king.  Since C is the knight, D must be the king.

The only position left for the bishop to fill is A.  A is not allowed to be a bishop.  This is a contradiction.

Therefore, if B is the queen, E cannot be anything but a bishop.

Can E be a bishop?

Let's try that second case.  B is a queen; E is a bishop.

Then C is either a rook or a king, and A is either a rook or a king.  Since rook and king must be divided up someway between those two positions, the only position left to D is knight.  There are two possible scenarios: either the rook is in position C and the king is in D, or vice versa.

In sum, three possible scenarios and no others.
IP Logged
wowbagger
Uberpuzzler

242002184 242002184    

Re: final answer to Chess Problem I  
« Reply #30 on: Aug 8th, 2003, 4:21am »

Elysha, you obviously invested a lot of time and effort. So sorry in advance for disproving your suggestions (or at least trying to do so).

I have the impression you misinterpreted the riddle. There are no other pieces on the board. "Green numbers indicate how many pieces could move to that square on the next move." This means that the square f8 (standard chess notation for top row, column 6) doesn't block the piece on h8 (top row, col. 8) from moving to b8 (top row, col. 2), for example.

on Aug 8th, 2003, 12:50am, Elysha wrote:
Finally we will have a solution which should look like this,
N-knight K-king Q-queen B-bishop R-rook
N 1 _ _ _ 1 _ Q
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_ _ 0 _ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ 1 1 _ _
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ R
_ _ K _ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_ B _ _ _ _ _ _

This will not work, because neither the knight nor the bishop will be able to attack row 1 square 2.

Actually, it does work. The queen attacks the square b8.

Quote:
First, Suppose E is the Queen.  Then this is the only possible solution:

N 1 _ _ _ 1 _ R
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_ _ 0 _ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ 1 1 _ _
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ K
_ _ B _ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_ Q _ _ _ _ _ _

Not valid, because b8 is attacked by queen and rook, so it would have to have a "2" instead of a "1".

Quote:
Now, the third possibility: let's suppose B is the queen.  I found two possible solutions (similar to yours):

R 1 _ _ _ 1 _ Q
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_ _ 0 _ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ 1 1 _ _
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ K
_ _ N _ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_ B _ _ _ _ _ _

Not valid, because b8 and f8 are attacked by queen and rook.

Quote:
Also:

K 1 _ _ _ 1 _ Q
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_ _ 0 _ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ 1 1 _ _
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ R
_ _ N _ _ _ _ _
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
_ B _ _ _ _ _ _

Not valid, because b8 is attacked by king and queen.

By the way, the solution TenaliRaman gave for Chess Puzzle II is also correct.
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2003, 4:28am by wowbagger » IP Logged

"You're a jerk, <your surname>!"
Elysha

Email

« Reply #31 on: Aug 8th, 2003, 3:46pm »

Thanks a million!  Whyever didn't I see that?
IP Logged
Elysha

Email

« Reply #32 on: Aug 8th, 2003, 4:14pm »

Any moderator should feel to clear away my post if it's clogging things up.  It appears that I managed to post in the wrong thread anyway; I thought I had read some discussion of Chess Problem I in these pages, but I cannot find it anymore.
IP Logged
wowbagger
Uberpuzzler

242002184 242002184    

« Reply #33 on: Aug 8th, 2003, 4:34pm »

on Aug 8th, 2003, 4:14pm, Elysha wrote:
Any moderator should feel to clear away my post if it's clogging things up.  It appears that I managed to post in the wrong thread anyway; I thought I had read some discussion of Chess Problem I in these pages, but I cannot find it anymore.

Ha! The moderator who clears up all posts on this forum that are clogging things up hasn't been born yet!   Roll Eyes
But just in case he has and should happen to read this: Please start with the 0.999-thread. Oh, and have a particularly watchful eye for these duplicate threads.  Grin

And never mind posting to the wrong thread, this happens a lot to newbies. By the way, as a member, you can modify (and remove) your posts.
With regard to your wrong answers: This happens even to Überpuzzlers.  Wink
To quote a sig (sorry, I don't remember whose it is/was): "It is better to have puzzled and failed than never to have puzzled at all."
« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2003, 4:39pm by wowbagger » IP Logged

Elysha

« Reply #34 on: Aug 8th, 2003, 11:21pm »

Ah!  But I wasn't registered yet when I posted.  Thank you for your kind words.  I'll be sticking around... these riddles are addictive.
IP Logged
TenaliRaman
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #35 on: Aug 9th, 2003, 8:36am »

The sig is of the UberPuzzler "Eric Yeh".
* This post is absolutely senseless but hey look out for my "post meter" it is inching towards 126 Grin *
IP Logged

wowbagger
Uberpuzzler

242002184 242002184    

« Reply #36 on: Aug 11th, 2003, 3:35am »

on Aug 9th, 2003, 8:36am, TenaliRaman wrote:
* This post is absolutely senseless but hey look out for my "post meter" it is inching towards 126 Grin *

There are even more senseless posts...  Wink
IP Logged

TenaliRaman
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #37 on: Aug 11th, 2003, 10:41am »

LOL!!!!  Cheesy  Cheesy
IP Logged

Ziyaad

Email

Re: Some Answers to Easy Section - foot Size and s  
« Reply #38 on: Aug 14th, 2003, 3:20am »

The correlation is correct because, As a person gets older, their foot size generally becomes larger. Of course, as one gets older, one's spelling ability generally also improves!!!
IP Logged
TenaliRaman
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #39 on: Aug 14th, 2003, 11:17am »

yeap!! it seemed the only answer to me too ! But when i searched the forum for the answer i found some really goofy discussion on this (as usual).it may not be enlightening but certainly entertaining  Wink .
IP Logged

jtrook

Re: Some Answers to Easy Section: Marble Jar1  
« Reply #40 on: Sep 10th, 2003, 9:29am »

Answer to Marble Jar.  I think from the reading of the question that each jar must have 50 marbles when you are finished.  It says redistribute (e.g. swap a black with a white).  The best probability is 50% if you don't swap any or if you even the jars with 25 black and 25 white.  I would prefer the second which leave the choice in your hands not random selection of the jar.
IP Logged
aero_guy
Senior Riddler

Email

« Reply #41 on: Sep 10th, 2003, 12:24pm »

jtrook, I won't spoil it for you, but there is a better solution (just shy of 75% survival).  There is a separate thread on the topic.
IP Logged
jtrook

« Reply #42 on: Sep 10th, 2003, 2:41pm »

Thanks aero_guy,
I found the thread.  I wasn't considering the two jars events together.  I only looked at the 24.74% one jar and the 50% the other jar.
IP Logged
TenaliRaman
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #43 on: Sep 10th, 2003, 4:12pm »

*still feels he should have clicked "some others should,not this one*
 Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #44 on: Sep 10th, 2003, 6:48pm »

Cheesy

It's nothing personal, TenaliRamen! I just think that they detract rather than advance the conversations, so I decided to see if this opinion was limited to me or if it was generally shared by those who have been around long enough to be aquainted with both single issue threads, and these in-mass ones. (Speaking of which, I'm restricting this to members only. Visitors who have been around that long really ought to register anyway! Wink)
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2003, 6:49pm by Icarus » IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
otter

« Reply #45 on: Sep 10th, 2003, 7:22pm »

on Sep 10th, 2003, 6:48pm, Icarus wrote:
Cheesy

It's nothing personal, TenaliRamen! I just think that they detract rather than advance the conversations, so I decided to see if this opinion was limited to me or if it was generally shared by those who have been around long enough to be aquainted with both single issue threads, and these in-mass ones. (Speaking of which, I'm restricting this to members only. Visitors who have been around that long really ought to register anyway! Wink)

I have to agree, Icarus.  I have come to view these "en-masse" responses as spoilers at best and "one-upsmanship" at worst.  One of the things that keeps me coming back to this forum is the great discussion and the thought that goes into the posts.  Many times I have learned much more from following the individual threads than I did from the riddle or puzzle itself.  As William notes, "how you get to the answer is more important that the answer itself".  

« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2003, 7:23pm by otter » IP Logged

We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started
and know the place for the first time.
T.S. Eliot
mistysakura

« Reply #46 on: Sep 11th, 2003, 2:13am »

My reason for voting "some others should, not this one" is becuase I feel that the "easy" section doesn't generate much conversation after the puzzle is solved anyway, whereas in medium/hard/what happened etc, there ae usually many continuations after the initial "solving" of the puzzle.  some of them are extensions, and some are arguments against the answer.  I think that "easy" is much more clear-cut than most other categories, so there' not much harm done in leaving this one.  If these threads are kept in the harder forums though, it does lead away from the left-over conversation.
IP Logged
TenaliRaman
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #47 on: Sep 11th, 2003, 8:08am »

Icarus,
no probs!(which may slightly hint toward the fact that i share your viewpoint)
IP Logged

Icarus_Bound

Email

« Reply #48 on: Sep 11th, 2003, 7:10pm »

Some higher power must disagree, because as you can see by my lowly "guest" status, I am for some reason unable to log in. I've asked William, and he can find no problems at his end, and so far I have found nothing at mine.

So I guess your thread is safe from me until I can find a solution to a much more vexing puzzle!

Icarus
IP Logged
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

« Reply #49 on: Sep 11th, 2003, 11:48pm »

on Sep 11th, 2003, 7:10pm, Icarus_Bound wrote:
Some higher power must disagree, because as you can see by my lowly "guest" status, I am for some reason unable to log in. I've asked William, and he can find no problems at his end, and so far I have found nothing at mine.
Have you tried logging in from a different computer?
Deleting all your cookies?
Having William change your password?
IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
Pages: 1 2 3  Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »