wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Some Answers to Easy Section »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 8th, 2024, 5:27pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   easy
(Moderators: Eigenray, william wu, Icarus, towr, ThudnBlunder, SMQ, Grimbal)
   Some Answers to Easy Section
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Some Answers to Easy Section  (Read 10372 times)
Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

Re: Some Answers to Easy Section  
« Reply #50 on: Sep 12th, 2003, 3:06pm »

on Sep 11th, 2003, 11:48pm, towr wrote:

Have you tried logging in from a different computer?
Deleting all your cookies?
Having William change your password?

Logging in from another computer works, and this one is through the same ISP account. Apparently the problem is in my machine. I have deleted all the cookies, cleared the cache, and turned the cache off. None of it made a difference. I may start reinstalling if nothing else works.
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
SWF
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #51 on: Sep 15th, 2003, 10:14pm »

There are some choices missing from the poll:

Delete this thread.

Put a copy of the text for each riddle mentioned in the header. This will make it is clear which problems people are being discussed. Smiley
IP Logged
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #52 on: Sep 16th, 2003, 3:42pm »

I only delete threads that contain nothing of consequence - deleting this one would be unfair to those who have taken part in it. But locking it is another matter.

Putting the puzzle in the header - when it isn't given in the first post (a project I've started in the Hard forum, as you may have noticed) - is generally a good idea, but it doesn't really address my disatisfaction (and apparently others') with these threads. It is not so much the lack of puzzle statement, as it is the way they break up discussions, making them hard to follow, and the duplication of what is already contained in a different thread.

Another project - lock all but one thread for each puzzle. Even better would be to combine the duplicate threads, but this is not an ability that William has granted to us.
IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
ThudnBlunder
Uberpuzzler

The dewdrop slides into the shining Sea

« Reply #53 on: Sep 16th, 2003, 7:03pm »

You could now delete: http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~wwu/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=riddles_eas y;action=display;num=1063599807
« Last Edit: Sep 16th, 2003, 11:56pm by ThudnBlunder » IP Logged

THE MEEK SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH.....................................................................er, if that's all right with the rest of you.
SWF
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #54 on: Sep 16th, 2003, 9:12pm »

Icarus, I was kidding about putting riddle statements in the header for this thread. Thus the Smiley

I would vote for deleting, but there are certainly enough votes to justify locking.

Since this thread is still accepting posts, I would like to add that I see 6 F's, the coin makes two revolutions, and the line will remain straight.
IP Logged
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #55 on: Sep 17th, 2003, 7:39pm »

Since there is a conversation going on in this thread right now, I thought I would wait until it dies down before the actual locking. I ought to go lock the other catch-alls, but have too many things going on to do it right now.

In general, I don't like the idea of simply deleting posts. I don't see it as my job to throw past conversations out, even if they go astray. I just want to guide people to where the most effective use of their time is to be found. The only times when I would feel justified in deleting posts is when one of the conversants has already deleted their side, leaving the remaining posts make no sense - as occasionally happens when someone points out a problem in a new thread and the original poster deletes his post. Or if some complete idiot drops all pretense of civility (this would require far worse than the swelled head of the "Guest" in the 0.999... thread - but there are some lines that if crossed I would not hesitate to delete the post).
IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
wowbagger
Uberpuzzler

242002184 242002184    

« Reply #56 on: Sep 18th, 2003, 12:46am »

on Sep 17th, 2003, 7:39pm, Icarus wrote:
Since there is a conversation going on in this thread right now, I thought I would wait until it dies down before the actual locking.

Seems like the perfect time to join in this conversation. Wink

I agree that threads like this one tend to get less and less clear the more riddles are being discussed. There is a sizable risk of discouraging newbies and especially first-time visitors by not directing them towards the focussed single-topic threads. However, even after locking this and similar threads, it is still possible that people wade through posts like this that do not deal with the riddle they are interested in because they did not find (or did not bother to search for) the "right" thread. Maybe the thread header could be used in a helpful way, even if only to point out the search feature to the readers one more time.
« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2003, 12:48am by wowbagger » IP Logged

"You're a jerk, <your surname>!"
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #57 on: Sep 18th, 2003, 3:24pm »

Sigh.... More work!  You're going to wear me out!

Actually that's a good idea - though I'll try to come up with something better later. Another idea might be to change the titles for the main threads for each puzzle in the easy section to exactly match the puzzle name. This would make it easier to seach out the correct thread.
IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
Bobbin

Email

« Reply #58 on: Jan 14th, 2005, 3:11am »

on Jun 2nd, 2003, 10:23am, TenaliRaman wrote:
GLASS HALF FULL

Consider the front view or the side view of the cylinder.What is it??Its nothing but a rectangle.

You know that the diagonal bisects a rectangle.So simply tilt the glass and see if the surface forms the diagonal.

An easy condition check can be derived from this for more than half and less than half determination.
No, those conditions do not work, because water tends to "lip" in a glass. If you fill a glass to the top, you can invert the lip so that you're holding more water in the glass then the volume of the glass itself, and finally, if you freeze the water it becomes ice, which consumes more space then water - so if the water was frozen in the glass to begin with, you aren't going to be able to exercise that solution, and if you let it melt first, then it's taking up less space then it originally did and you still won't know if it's exactly half-full. Your answer is equally accurate to holding your hand over the edge and flipping the glass, really, which means IMHO there is no way to accurately determine if the glass is exactly half-full.
IP Logged
Icarus
Uberpuzzler

« Reply #59 on: Jan 14th, 2005, 4:26pm »

Alright - that's what I get for forgetting. Though few have expressed an opinion, a clear majority of those that have are in favor of the catch-all threads being shut down. So I am locking this thread. Bobbin, if you would like to discuss this, there is a thread devoted to the glass-half-full riddle (I think there is, anyway).
IP Logged

And e is just as cursed.
Pages: 1 2 3  Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »