wu :: forums
« wu :: forums - Three Dots »

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 11:56pm

RIDDLES SITE WRITE MATH! Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login Register Register
   wu :: forums
   riddles
   easy
(Moderators: Icarus, Eigenray, Grimbal, william wu, SMQ, ThudnBlunder, towr)
   Three Dots
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Three Dots  (Read 2197 times)
towr
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Some people are average, some are just mean.

Re: Three Dots  
« Reply #25 on: Apr 4th, 2005, 8:42am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Well, since you've revealed elsewhere that you're The_Godfather.
I'd just say it's not fair to pin it all on the other one.

But let's just put it behind us.
« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2005, 8:56am by towr » IP Logged

Wikipedia, Google, Mathworld, Integer sequence DB
rmsgrey
Uberpuzzler

134688278 134688278   rmsgrey   rmsgrey

« Reply #26 on: Apr 4th, 2005, 9:54am »

on Apr 4th, 2005, 8:07am, Avo wrote:

It seems to me that towr and many others have blamed two people for one's mistakes.  TheGodfather234 has been, and deserved to be, blamed for many actions.  However, The Godfather merely acted in defense to yours and other mod's misdirected complaints toward him.  I believe it is not him, but you to blame for his taking leave.  You chased him away.  I am a tad sickened by your obvious self-involvement. Cry

I admit that I am sufficiently mentally lazy not to keep direct track of the precise name of all posters to this site, or which identity goes with which name. Add to that the fact that the two of you obviously know each other in your real life identities, and I end up lumping the pair of you together - at least in my early assessments. Having seen a couple of hundred posts between you, I'm beginning to get a feel for which of you is which, but I still think of you as a single category with two members rather than entirely separate entities.

As far as giving "silly" answers goes, there are four reasons why I do so:
1) I am unable to figure out what the question is asking for, so suggest things that it could be interpreted as asking.
2) Someone else has already given the main answer, so, rather than repeat them, I offer alternatives (my other option would be to post nothing)
3) I consider the main answer to be sufficiently obvious or well known that, rather than simply posting an answer I've remembered from elsewhere, I'll look for something new to say.
4) I want to show I know the answer without actually posting it - so post some cryptic reference to the answer (something I've also noticed Icarus doing in the past).

Speaking of Icarus, for his variation:
hidden:
If the chief wants to test you all fairly, you must be put into a totally symmetric situation when the blindfold is removed, so you must all have red or all have green spots. If you each have red spots, then you all know as soon as none of you put up your hands. If you each have green spots, then (in principle) you have to wait for the other two to fail to identify themselves before you can identify yourself. Therefore, you conclude that the chief would plan to put green spots on each of you.

Of course, this assumes that you don't expect the chief to think of this himself - if he does, and expects you to do so as well, then he could well plan to give each of you a red spot and wait to see who's smart enough to wait to find out which colour he's chosen to give you all.
IP Logged
Icarus
wu::riddles Moderator
Uberpuzzler

Boldly going where even angels fear to tread.

« Reply #27 on: Apr 4th, 2005, 7:18pm »

on Apr 4th, 2005, 12:34am, Speaker wrote:
Here is an attempt at Icarus's variation.  

Assuming that the tribe believes that you are a very intelligent person (more intelligent than the other two candidates). Then, the test is to assess your abilities, not a test of who of the three is smartest.  
So, in order to get you to use the method of "I know something because I know that you do not know it." Which is the method required to answer the first question. And, therefor it is the method the chief wants you to demonstrate to prove your intelligence. Then, you could assume (determine) that the chief would paint a dot on your head that is a different color from the other two dots.  So, you could say to the chief.  
"You will put a dot that is different from both of the other people on my head."  

I do not know if this will hold up under scrutiny, but there you go.  

No - my intent is that the chief is honest. All three of candidates have an equal chance. He really is testing to find out who is quickest on the uptake. But the respondent (you, if you insist on being in the riddle) is so much quicker on the uptake than the other two that he is able to deduce the actual color the chief will use (not just some condition on it) before the contest even begins.

Because this version is considerably subtler than the original, I've decided to give it its own thread in the Medium forum. Please direct any responses to that thread instead of this one. Thanks!
IP Logged

"Pi goes on and on and on ...
And e is just as cursed.
I wonder: Which is larger
When their digits are reversed? " - Anonymous
::The Godfather::

Trapped inside the mystery of the eternal riddle

« Reply #28 on: Apr 5th, 2005, 5:03pm »

http://godfatherchat.proboards18.com
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »